kershaw hype thread - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

kershaw hype thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: kershaw hype thread

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Sun May 25, 2008 9:03 pm

kaiser wrote:okay- 6 IP, 2ER, 7K, 102 pitches, ND.

Comments?

I like the fact that he was able to go 6 innings. Everyone knows he can put up good K numbers, given his great fastball and knee-buckling curveball, but I thought his endurance would be what largely held him back this year.
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yanks_Baby » Sun May 25, 2008 9:35 pm

K:BB is the most important nratio with Clayton. However, Cards aren't a patient team so I'd wait to see another start before passing juidgement.
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Althalius » Sun May 25, 2008 10:08 pm

JohnBazzell wrote:it is concerning he has no change up. I watched today, the guy has two pitches. He locates his fastball well and has a wicked, but slow curveball. I'm worried once hitters recognize its not a fastball in the future they will hit his curve. He only has one offspeed pitch, so u know what it is as soon as you recognize offspeed. Pujols did what most Major League batters will do, sit back on his curveball and drive it. Its just it will take time a couple times seeing him for batters to have his number. Pujols, being the player he is, ripped his curveball down the line like it was whiffle ball.

I didn't watch the game, but I do know that Clayton has a changeup to complement his fastball and curve. Not sure if he just didn't throw it today, or if he threw it rarely.
Althalius
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby J.C.Fighter » Sun May 25, 2008 10:11 pm

Basically if he can't locate his fastball , hitters will sit on his Curve...
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby J35J » Sun May 25, 2008 11:00 pm

Thats the thing with dominant young SPers. They usually can walk right through the minors with 1 or 2 pitches....they soon realize they can't get away with that in the bigs and that is where the fun comes in....do they struggle from that point forward or do they break out that 3rd and/or 4th pitch and locate it consistantly. The only thing I'm going to watch the rest of this year is the BB totals....if he can keep those in check then he'll be an ace for quite a while.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby RAmst23 » Sun May 25, 2008 11:05 pm

Yanks_Baby wrote:K:BB is the most important nratio with Clayton. However, Cards aren't a patient team so I'd wait to see another start before passing juidgement.

Cards have more walks than any other team in baseball so... :-?
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby AussieDodger » Sun May 25, 2008 11:20 pm

Should I trade him for Kevin Millar?
WHIR!!111!!
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Yanks_Baby » Sun May 25, 2008 11:25 pm

RAmst23 wrote:
Yanks_Baby wrote:K:BB is the most important nratio with Clayton. However, Cards aren't a patient team so I'd wait to see another start before passing juidgement.

Sure, when you take all of Albert's IBB's into consideration though, it;s significantly less.
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun May 25, 2008 11:40 pm

JohnBazzell wrote:it is concerning he has no change up. I watched today, the guy has two pitches. He locates his fastball well and has a wicked, but slow curveball. I'm worried once hitters recognize its not a fastball in the future they will hit his curve. He only has one offspeed pitch, so u know what it is as soon as you recognize offspeed. Pujols did what most Major League batters will do, sit back on his curveball and drive it. Its just it will take time a couple times seeing him for batters to have his number. Pujols, being the player he is, ripped his curveball down the line like it was whiffle ball.

I think I touched upon this. The key for Kershaw is to come along with that changeup, but that doesn't necessarily mean he can't live solely off a fastball/curveball combo (like Sandy Koufax did). Kershaw has a surprisingly deceptive delivery for a power pitcher which can keep opposing batters off balance for at least the first go-round given his lively movement of his pitches. As long as he paces himself well and keeps learning how to harness command of his two top pitches, Kershaw will be fine, even though adding a change-up will make him a more complete pitcher than he otherwise would be.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby activechamp2006 » Sun May 25, 2008 11:42 pm

Yanks_Baby wrote:
RAmst23 wrote:

Sure, when you take all of Albert's IBB's into consideration though, it;s significantly less.

There is always going to be one player leading the way as far as walks go, rarely is it split up between every person on the team
That's a pretty bad argument.
activechamp2006
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers