kershaw hype thread - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

kershaw hype thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: kershaw hype thread

Postby converge241 » Fri May 23, 2008 10:45 am

deutschland wrote:lol, he was just sitting there all lonely in free agency in my deep ESPN league :-D

love that ESPN and CBS (among others) have those deeper player databases ..whats that Phil Collins album? "No Waiver Required"? :-B
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 98)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thedude » Fri May 23, 2008 11:01 am

Yoda wrote:
J.C.Fighter wrote:I think this guy will struggle a bit this season . He'll have good outings than really bad ones..isn't this just a spot start though?
IDK if he'll be more valuable than these 2 enigmas... daniel cabrera / edwin jackson

Come on...

He will be more valuable than either, but i don't how quick his development will be. Remember King Felix. Was great for a couple of months as a rookie. Then struggled in his first full year. Now 22, in his third full season, he is pitching better, though i would like him to cut down his WHIP.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri May 23, 2008 12:12 pm

Kingctb27 wrote:If he allows a hit in his debut I am not using my #1 priority on him.

Good, more people that share your sentiment will mean that I can snag him, sitting on the middle waiver in all of my leagues. Honestly, in all of my leagues, I'm middle of the pack in waiver priority at best. Stupid me for using that #2 waiver on Jim Thome in one of my redrafts as I would've had the #1 on Kershawmania.

I'm not all that surprised to see Kershaw possibly called up about 1-2 months earlier than some would have anticipated, myself included, but of course, not sure if this the right call. However, given that much of our starters have failed to go deep into ballgames, Kershaw is worth a look. I think his control will be a mixed bag, but like Cueto, he's shown that he could harness command and keep walks to a minimum. Kershaw could develop a third pitch, a change-up, but figures to rely on fastball/curveball combos, and in Spring, it worked like a dream for him. I can see Kershaw as being as electric as Cueto was when he first broke in, but the key is being less predictable the second time around. With Cueto, batters have tended to work around Cueto's out pitch, a slider while it should be interesting to see how Kershaw does relying a good deal on two plus pitches. I can't wait. ;-D
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby Kingctb27 » Fri May 23, 2008 12:27 pm

Yoda wrote:
J.C.Fighter wrote:I think this guy will struggle a bit this season . He'll have good outings than really bad ones..isn't this just a spot start though?
IDK if he'll be more valuable than these 2 enigmas... daniel cabrera / edwin jackson

Come on...

:-D
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion

Postby Y`s Guy » Fri May 23, 2008 2:04 pm

Does the 25 IP/month thing go bye-bye if he makes it up to the bigs soon? If he gets 20 starts that might be 100 IP from June to the end of the season.
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 276)
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Postby Yoda » Fri May 23, 2008 2:15 pm

Y`s Guy wrote:Does the 25 IP/month thing go bye-bye if he makes it up to the bigs soon? If he gets 20 starts that might be 100 IP from June to the end of the season.

They can still limit him by pitching him out of the pen at some point. As long as he is not logging high leverage innings, then he should be ok.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri May 23, 2008 11:41 pm

Sunday's the big day:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-dod ... 6534.story

Kershaw will push Billingsley's start a day back, which makes Bills a 2-start pitcher next week. Let Kershawmania commence. ;-D
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby ataraxia » Sat May 24, 2008 12:02 am

Just to keep the hype machine in check, he does have slight control problems, and it could really give him nightmares against a more patient lineup in the majors.
Absolute thanks to soty for the sig.
ataraxia
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Zhangman1 » Sat May 24, 2008 12:09 am

so he's expected to start Sunday. Which means he should hit Yahoo! waivers on Monday right?
Zhangman1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby smoovethug » Sat May 24, 2008 1:16 am

Zhangman1 wrote:so he's expected to start Sunday. Which means he should hit Yahoo! waivers on Monday right?

Kershaw is starting Sunday why the hell isnt he in Yahoo's database yet?!?! Should I drop Bedard for him? WHIR!!! ;-7

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers