0 steals for Justin Upton? what gives - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

0 steals for Justin Upton? what gives

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

0 steals for Justin Upton? what gives

Postby J.C.Fighter » Wed May 14, 2008 12:17 pm

Any AZ guys can give me some insight on this situation...
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 0 steals for Justin Upton? what gives

Postby The Cow » Wed May 14, 2008 12:32 pm

Well he was not a big base stealer in the minors, so the zero SBs should not be a surprise. Just because his last name is Upton that does not make him a base stealer. I do figure Justin finishes with about 10 SBs this season.

The Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby NYMetsIn2k4 » Wed May 14, 2008 2:27 pm

The Cow wrote:Well he was not a big base stealer in the minors, so the zero SBs should not be a surprise. Just because his last name is Upton that does not make him a base stealer. I do figure Justin finishes with about 10 SBs this season.

The Cow

so why did i hear 20-20 predictions this season??? upton being his last name has nothing to do with it, hes touted as a 5-tool player, and speed is one of those tools. whether or not it translates to stolen bases is yet to be determined
10-Team 8x8 h2h

C VMart
1B MCab
2B Stewart
3B Zimmerman
SS Ramirez
OF Manny,BJUpton,Braun
Ut Rios
Ut Pierre
BN Quentin,Snider,Berkman,Bruce

SP Kershaw,Gallardo,Hanson,Liriano,Holland,JGarcia,Romero
RP KRod,Marmol,Feliz,Wagner,Dotel
DL BAnderson
NYMetsIn2k4
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Cow » Wed May 14, 2008 2:41 pm

NYMetsIn2k4 wrote:
The Cow wrote:Well he was not a big base stealer in the minors, so the zero SBs should not be a surprise. Just because his last name is Upton that does not make him a base stealer. I do figure Justin finishes with about 10 SBs this season.

The Cow

so why did i hear 20-20 predictions this season??? upton being his last name has nothing to do with it, hes touted as a 5-tool player, and speed is one of those tools. whether or not it translates to stolen bases is yet to be determined

You heard 20/20 predictions because there is a lot of bad advice out there. last year in the minors Upton stole 19 bases and was caught stealing 11 times for a 63% success rate, which is a poor success rate. The year before Upton stole 15 bags with 7 caught stealing for 68%. Which again is not a good success rate. The caught stealings and the poor success rate tell me that Upton will not be a big base stealer. However, Upton is young and does have good speed, so if Upton workks on his base running, I think down the road he could steal 20, but the stats right now say that Justin is not much of a base stealer. Look at the SB% when evaluating base stealers.

The Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby NYMetsIn2k4 » Wed May 14, 2008 3:05 pm

The Cow wrote:
NYMetsIn2k4 wrote:

The Cow

You heard 20/20 predictions because there is a lot of bad advice out there. last year in the minors Upton stole 19 bases and was caught stealing 11 times for a 63% success rate, which is a poor success rate. The year before Upton stole 15 bags with 7 caught stealing for 68%. Which again is not a good success rate. The caught stealings and the poor success rate tell me that Upton will not be a big base stealer. However, Upton is young and does have good speed, so if Upton workks on his base running, I think down the road he could steal 20, but the stats right now say that Justin is not much of a base stealer. Look at the SB% when evaluating base stealers.

The Cow

yeah, after reading your first post, i looked at his minor league stolen base numbers. exactly like you said, too many caught stealings. if he was taught the 'art of base stealing', he def has the speed, but until he learns to read pitchers, get a good jump, pick his spots, etc. hell prolly get the red light a lot
10-Team 8x8 h2h

C VMart
1B MCab
2B Stewart
3B Zimmerman
SS Ramirez
OF Manny,BJUpton,Braun
Ut Rios
Ut Pierre
BN Quentin,Snider,Berkman,Bruce

SP Kershaw,Gallardo,Hanson,Liriano,Holland,JGarcia,Romero
RP KRod,Marmol,Feliz,Wagner,Dotel
DL BAnderson
NYMetsIn2k4
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BJSFAN123 » Wed May 14, 2008 3:07 pm

He's got good speed he just needs more experience, his older brother seems to get caught a lot too ;-)
BJSFAN123
General Manager
General Manager

Postby KrunK » Wed May 14, 2008 5:10 pm

He has the speed, but as it's been said he is young and the Dbacks rarely run this kid. I've seen him attempt to steal one time this season and obviously he was caught. He definitely has the wheels to snag 20+ bags, but it's not happening in 1st full campaign.
Credit to smoovethug on the sig
KrunK
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby noseeum » Wed May 14, 2008 11:07 pm

I don't understand why anyone on the D'backs has even one stolen base. Stand around and someone will hit you in!
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The_Natural » Thu May 15, 2008 12:33 am

He needs to be traded to the Twins. :-)
The_Natural
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers