Joba Chamberlain - at the One Quarter Mark - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Joba Chamberlain - at the One Quarter Mark

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Joba Chamberlain - at the One Quarter Mark

Postby Montana » Wed May 14, 2008 4:17 am

Alright, we're nearly a quarter of the way throught the season, and for the most part Joba's pitched at a level we all expected him to out of the pen, thus far......

G - 15
IP - 16.3
W- 1
L- 2
Hits - 11
ER - 5
HR - 1
BB - 6
K - 17
ERA - 2.76
Whip - 1.04
Hlds - 9
BABIP - .250
BB/PA - 8.3%
K/PA - 28.3%
GB% - 49%

While also having a FB% of nearly 35% and and incredibly low LD% of nearly 16%

Obviously this season, he's remained incredibly impressive......and although not being on par across the board with last year's incredible debut.........he's proving last season was obviously no fluke, and that he's the real deal. (as if we didn't know)

Pre season we all had long in depth discussion's about Joba's progression as a pitcher and what we saw his 2008 season turning out like..........

My question now is, with a 1/4 of the season almost done........and the time of him heading to the minors to stretch him arm out, and inevitably entering the rotation, probably not that far off........I'm curious to hear from my cafe mates, as to what they currently think he'll be like once he hits the rotation, and if anything you've seen from him thus far, gives you any extra insight, into how that transition, might go.

Interested in hearing everyone's thoughs.........and if possible some final season projections.
Montana
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Joba Chamberlain - at the One Quarter Mark

Postby knapplc » Wed May 14, 2008 8:36 am

I just don't see him going into the rotation this year. With the obvious need to go down to the minors to get accustomed to the different role and the fact that he's easily the best set-up man the Yankees have, I don't see why they would destroy their rotation this year. This is not something you just mess around with, this could affect the kid's career. As gingerly as they handled him last year with the "Joba Rules," to me there's no way they screw around with a position change like this in the middle of a season.

Next year, maybe, they bring him into the rotation, and they do so by going out and getting that middle reliever they need to replace him in the seventh and eighth, but not this year.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Yoda » Wed May 14, 2008 8:59 am

knapplc wrote:I just don't see him going into the rotation this year. With the obvious need to go down to the minors to get accustomed to the different role and the fact that he's easily the best set-up man the Yankees have, I don't see why they would destroy their rotation this year. This is not something you just mess around with, this could affect the kid's career. As gingerly as they handled him last year with the "Joba Rules," to me there's no way they screw around with a position change like this in the middle of a season.

Next year, maybe, they bring him into the rotation, and they do so by going out and getting that middle reliever they need to replace him in the seventh and eighth, but not this year.

A lot of young pitchers start out in the pen and then transition into the rotation without going down to the minors.

They are wasting his talent if they keep him in the pen all season.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby knapplc » Wed May 14, 2008 9:08 am

Joba is not "a lot of young pitchers," though. He's a special talent, according to the Yankees, and they've quite obviously treated him far differently than any other pitcher. With as careful as they've been with him, I just don't see any way they suddenly throw that all to the wind and put him in the rotation.
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Yoda » Wed May 14, 2008 9:31 am

knapplc wrote:Joba is not "a lot of young pitchers," though. He's a special talent, according to the Yankees, and they've quite obviously treated him far differently than any other pitcher. With as careful as they've been with him, I just don't see any way they suddenly throw that all to the wind and put him in the rotation.

The only reason they are keeping him in the pen is to limit his innings this season. I'd be shocked if he isn't in the rotation at some point this year. They need to find out whether he can be a starter or not asap.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby The Cow » Wed May 14, 2008 9:37 am

Based on Hank Steinbrenner's comments there is no way Joba stays in the pen all year. Come June he will be a starter. Which is good for me as I am falling behind in IP.

The Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed May 14, 2008 9:45 am

Yoda wrote:
knapplc wrote:Joba is not "a lot of young pitchers," though. He's a special talent, according to the Yankees, and they've quite obviously treated him far differently than any other pitcher. With as careful as they've been with him, I just don't see any way they suddenly throw that all to the wind and put him in the rotation.

The only reason they are keeping him in the pen is to limit his innings this season. I'd be shocked if he isn't in the rotation at some point this year. They need to find out whether he can be a starter or not asap.

Agreed.

Johan Santana was one of those pitchers that began in the bullpen and then moved to the rotation.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby abc11435 » Wed May 14, 2008 11:53 am

The Cow wrote:Based on Hank Steinbrenner's comments there is no way Joba stays in the pen all year. Come June he will be a starter. Which is good for me as I am falling behind in IP.

The Cow

I think this is the real driving force that will put Joba into rotation this season. Hank is really shaping up to be like the early version of Steinbrenner Sr. Just today his comment of "Giradi better get his act together" comment made the NY Post. Along with his idiot comment on Cashman last month, I don't see how Joba can stay in the pen with Hughes and Kennedy not living up to expectations.

Whether Joba can stay healthy in the rotation is another debate. But he's going to the rotation sometime this year.
abc11435
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 23)

Postby knapplc » Wed May 14, 2008 12:15 pm

So who takes over the 7th & 8th for the Yankees *when* Joba goes into the rotation?
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby AussieDodger » Wed May 14, 2008 12:21 pm

knapplc wrote:So who takes over the 7th & 8th for the Yankees *when* Joba goes into the rotation?

Edwar! He is a machine.
His numbers might have a bit of dodgy "too old for the level" about them, but I think he is legit. ;-D
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 19)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers