Is yahoo getting bored? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is yahoo getting bored?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is yahoo getting bored?

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Tue May 13, 2008 10:33 pm

Weird player update...

May 13 The Associated Press reports Minnesota Twins OF Michael Cuddyer reached for a routine line drive, when the ball popped out of his glove, bounced on the top of his cap, off the brim and back into the mitt Monday, May 12.

What was the point of this player note? Is yahoo just bored and wanted something to write, so they reported on a semi-strange play that happened to a middle-of-the-road type player?

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 135)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Is yahoo getting bored?

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Tue May 13, 2008 10:35 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:Weird player update...

May 13 The Associated Press reports Minnesota Twins OF Michael Cuddyer reached for a routine line drive, when the ball popped out of his glove, bounced on the top of his cap, off the brim and back into the mitt Monday, May 12.

What was the point of this player note? Is yahoo just bored and wanted something to write, so they reported on a semi-strange play that happened to a middle-of-the-road type player?

It's worthy of writing. I don't know if you saw the play, but it will be on every rain-delay-show-on-bloopers-in-baseball tv program from here on out.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dclark0699 » Tue May 13, 2008 10:36 pm

It also seemed like every player on my team was "nominated for player of the week for the week ending in May 11th"
dclark0699
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Tue May 13, 2008 10:37 pm

OneLoveBoomer wrote:

It's worthy of writing. I don't know if you saw the play, but it will be on every rain-delay-show-on-bloopers-in-baseball tv program from here on out.

But since when do weird plays get their own section in news and notes? This is on a player profile from a fantasy provider. When people are checking their fantasy teams, do they really care that he made a weird play in the field? Let it be on tv, because then I can actually see what happened, but a play-by-play within a play of a weird play just seems unnecessary.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

(Past Year: 135)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Tue May 13, 2008 10:39 pm

dclark0699 wrote:It also seemed like every player on my team was "nominated for player of the week for the week ending in May 11th"

I noticed that. Thought it was a bit much also.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 2)

Postby mtxdevil » Tue May 13, 2008 10:45 pm

See that KFFL by the note? They write the notes and it just feeds to Yahoo.
mtxdevil
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby haymarket » Tue May 13, 2008 11:17 pm

It may sound like a strange note, but in my league, we count "routine line drives that pop out of the glove, off the top of the cap, off the brim and back into the mitt" as a category. Unfortunately, I left Cuddyer on the bench on Monday. :~(
haymarket
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 7)

Postby CrazedGoat » Wed May 14, 2008 12:49 am

haymarket wrote:

It may sound like a strange note, but in my league, we count "routine line drives that pop out of the glove, off the top of the cap, off the brim and back into the mitt" as a category. Unfortunately, I left Cuddyer on the bench on Monday. :~(

:-D
CrazedGoat
College Coach
College Coach

Postby soccerballer002 » Wed May 14, 2008 1:34 am

dclark0699 wrote:It also seemed like every player on my team was "nominated for player of the week for the week ending in May 11th"

Awww man you too? I thought my team was really good...
soccerballer002
College Coach
College Coach

Postby AKhomebrewer » Wed May 14, 2008 2:00 am

KFFL also apparently specializes in twisted logic. This gem, after Santiago Casilla's scoreless inning streak to start the season ended at 17 1/3:
May 12 Jesse Sanchez, of MLB.com, reports Oakland Athletics RP Santiago Casilla has not been scored upon in 18 innings pitched this year. Casilla sports a 2-0 record with a 0.47 ERA in 19 1/3 innings pitched.

So, except for the innings in which he's been scored upon, he's unscored upon.
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 6)

Return to Baseball Leftovers