Granderson... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Granderson...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Granderson...

Postby MTUCache » Sun May 25, 2008 12:28 pm

rookies and cream wrote:Not playing again today against a lefty. I believe that's the 3rd or 4th time, plus a time he was pinched hit for. He must be the only top 75 player that gets platooned... :-t

He absolutely rocks righties... and although improving against lefties he'll still get an occasional breather.

Off the DL, guys were pitching him inside, which he absolutely crushes. Word got out quickly, and since then pitchers have been working him away consistantly, which he struggles with. I'm not sure if his adjustment will come quickly or slowly, but he'll eventually get there.

In the meantime, hopefully the Tigers bats stay hot and he keeps getting strikes to hit.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rookies and cream » Sun May 25, 2008 12:33 pm

Occasional breather? He only has 6 AB's this year against LH'ers in 6 games, meaning LH'er was probably not starting those games.
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 45)

Postby MTUCache » Sun May 25, 2008 1:30 pm

rookies and cream wrote:Occasional breather? He only has 6 AB's this year against LH'ers in 6 games, meaning LH'er was probably not starting those games.

Last year he had a 493/119 split of ABs against RHP/LHP, or about 20% of his ABs came against lefties. That's the same ratio that most of the Tigers had, including the batting champ Magglio. In fact, their second most productive player (Polanco) had only 25% of his ABs against lefties.

As an up-and-coming star for this Detroit team, I'd expect a serious dedication to getting him as many ABs as is reasonably possible against lefties, almost to the point where they'd rather sacrifice mildly in production to get him playing time.

I'd expect him to have around 25% ABs against lefties by the end of the season, just like the majority of the Tigers' lineup.

An "occasional" day off meaning less than one day per week. Their other replacements in CF for him (Inge, Santiago, Rayburn, Joyce) honestly aren't that much better of an offensive option than Granderson, even going against lefties.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby swyck » Tue May 27, 2008 6:15 pm

MTUCache wrote:
rookies and cream wrote:Occasional breather? He only has 6 AB's this year against LH'ers in 6 games, meaning LH'er was probably not starting those games.

Last year he had a 493/119 split of ABs against RHP/LHP, or about 20% of his ABs came against lefties. That's the same ratio that most of the Tigers had, including the batting champ Magglio. In fact, their second most productive player (Polanco) had only 25% of his ABs against lefties.

As an up-and-coming star for this Detroit team, I'd expect a serious dedication to getting him as many ABs as is reasonably possible against lefties, almost to the point where they'd rather sacrifice mildly in production to get him playing time.

I'd expect him to have around 25% ABs against lefties by the end of the season, just like the majority of the Tigers' lineup.

An "occasional" day off meaning less than one day per week. Their other replacements in CF for him (Inge, Santiago, Rayburn, Joyce) honestly aren't that much better of an offensive option than Granderson, even going against lefties.

Then why isn't he playing against lefties now? When's he going to start?
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Postby MTUCache » Tue May 27, 2008 7:41 pm

swyck wrote:Then why isn't he playing against lefties now? When's he going to start?

Honestly, I couldn't tell you.... Leyland is doing a lot of things that have me scratching my head right now.

At least Sheff's injury makes thing a tad simpler (or, at least in my mind it should make things simpler). DH Guillen, put Inge at 3B.

All I can say is that there's no logical reason why they should be sitting Granderson against lefties. He obviously needs to improve his splits, and only experience will do that, and on top of that their limited replacements in CF aren't really any better.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby rookies and cream » Tue May 27, 2008 9:54 pm

MTUCache wrote:
swyck wrote:Then why isn't he playing against lefties now? When's he going to start?

Honestly, I couldn't tell you.... Leyland is doing a lot of things that have me scratching my head right now.

At least Sheff's injury makes thing a tad simpler (or, at least in my mind it should make things simpler). DH Guillen, put Inge at 3B.

All I can say is that there's no logical reason why they should be sitting Granderson against lefties. He obviously needs to improve his splits, and only experience will do that, and on top of that their limited replacements in CF aren't really any better.

It's not too difficult to improve 1-6
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby rookies and cream » Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:31 pm

Can anybody else think of another top 10 round pick that is platooning? :-t

I'm pretty sure Grandy could do better than Clevlen's 3-19 for the year.
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates