Doumit - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Doumit

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Doumit

Postby yaboygino » Tue May 13, 2008 9:08 pm

It looks like he was taken out..anyone know why??
yaboygino
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Doumit

Postby NWSoxaholic » Tue May 13, 2008 9:54 pm

Yahoo says "Left thumb injury"- hope someone else has some more info..
NWSoxaholic
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Ursa » Wed May 14, 2008 12:50 am

From Yahoo:

May 13 Preliminary results indicate that Doumit suffered a fractured left thumb against the Cardinals on Tuesday, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports.

Recommendation: The degree of the fracture was not immediately known. Ronny Paulino will take over behind the plate for as long as Doumit remains out.

That sucks. :-t
Ursa
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby ivanhack » Wed May 14, 2008 10:28 am

rotoworld

Ryan Doumit was found to have a small fracture near the tip of his left thumb and likely will go on the DL.

Manager John Russell said Doumit could miss anywhere from 10 days to three weeks, but he's obviously not going to stay on the roster even if the Pirates think it'll be just 10 days. Either Raul Chavez or Michel Hernandez will be called up to play behind Ronny Paulino.
ivanhack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby candyman » Wed May 14, 2008 6:16 pm

Man... he's been really big for me this year so far... I don't wanna have to drop him to get Ramon Hernandez...

I guess I could drop somebody else instead that is less likely to get snatched up during next week, the only one I'll need Hernandez...

Or, better yet, I'll drop Doumit and grab Hernandez Sunday night when lineups get set, then afterthey lock in, drop Hernandez and grab Doumit again ;-D

A little shady, but it's not my fault I foun a loophole }:-)
candyman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby thomasmore » Wed May 14, 2008 10:00 pm

He'll be out 4 weeks with a thumb fracture....

My entire team is practically on DL now, great. :~(
thomasmore
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby JKelleyRice996 » Fri May 16, 2008 6:20 pm

This is a huge blow to my team. I was hoping it would be three weeks but when I heard four I got pissed. Hopefully Paulino doesn't play well but if he does do you think they could/would play Doumit in the OF again? I love that he has OF eligibility and would like it for keeper reasons for next year.
JKelleyRice996
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby mak1277 » Sat May 17, 2008 4:33 pm

JKelleyRice996 wrote:This is a huge blow to my team. I was hoping it would be three weeks but when I heard four I got pissed. Hopefully Paulino doesn't play well but if he does do you think they could/would play Doumit in the OF again? I love that he has OF eligibility and would like it for keeper reasons for next year.

Doumit is a catcher, and the new management has committed to that. His OF days are over I think, especially since the Pirates actually have a surplus in the OF. It's not like they have would want to bench any of the three starters anyway. And Pearce and McCutchen are next in line when Nady and/or Bay get dealt.

I wouldn't worry about Doumit losing much time to Paulino after he gets back. He's the starter, period.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby rainman23 » Wed May 21, 2008 5:05 pm

CBSSportsLine has an optimistic report today...

News: According to The Sports Xchange notes: C Ryan Doumit figures to be back sooner from his broken left thumb than originally expected. The thumb is healing quickly, and Doumit may now only miss two to three weeks instead of the original estimate of four to six weeks. Doumit, who was injured May 13 at St. Louis, has been cleared to begin swinging a bat later this week.

Analysis: Doumit has a great bat and will resume everyday catching duties again when healthy. His offensive potential at a thin position in Fantasy makes him a sleeper in all leagues if he was dropped.
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby dweenmachine » Sat May 24, 2008 7:23 am

More on Doumit's seemingly speedy recovery from Yahoo:

May 23 C Ryan Doumit is eligible to come off the 15-day disabled list next Thursday and if the Pirates catcher has it his way, he will be activated then. Doumit suffered a broken left thumb last Tuesday and was placed on the DL the next day. At the time, the Pirates said Doumit would likely be out until the end of the June but the timetable has changed dramatically. "I really feel like I'll be ready to go then, based on how I feel and the way the doctor tells me the thumb is healing," Doumit said Friday night before the Pirates were routed 12-3 by the Chicago Cubs. While Pirates manager John Russell also believes Doumit will be back much sooner than originally expected, he is not quite so sure his cleanup hitter will be ready next week.

May 23 Paul Myer, of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, reports Pittsburgh Pirates C Ryan Doumit (thumb) took dry swings Friday, May 23, and is expected to hit off of a tee Saturday, May 24. After a few days, he will begin hitting balls tossed by coaches. Manager John Russell said Doumit is also doing catching drills with tennis balls.

;-D
dweenmachine
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates