Is this unbelievable, or what? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is this unbelievable, or what?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is this unbelievable, or what?

Postby aardvarks » Thu Feb 26, 2004 6:56 pm

I just joined a fantasy leaue with some friends.
It's a head to head point league with 25 catagories
check this out:
Batters- Games started 1pt AB minus 1pt, Run 2 pt's, hit 2pt's,double 4pt's, triple 8pt's, HR 6pt's RBI 2 pt's, SB 3pt's
CS minus 1pt,BB 1pt,
K minus 1pt, Error minus 2
Pitching:
Apperance 1pt, inning 2pt
win 10, loss-6, CG 2pt's shutout 5pt's, save 8pt's, hit minus 1pt, Earned run minus 3, BB minus 1,
K 3pt's, save opp minus 2
I have my draft on Monday night 3/1, is anyone familiar with this format? Who does it favor, Power or speed? Starting or relief? Help!!!!!
aardvarks
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 87)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby EugeneStyles » Thu Feb 26, 2004 7:02 pm

If I was you, I'd put together an excel spreadsheet. Use mlb.com or yahoo or something to get the stats, then use a column for a formula to add up the results. You can do it either based on last years numbers, or on projections, but it's gonna be hard to find a place that projects all of those categories. Looks like you got a lot of work ahead of you. :-D

Better get crackin'.
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby EugeneStyles » Sat Feb 28, 2004 5:09 pm

Incidentally, someone posted a link to http://www.rototimes.com in another thread. It seems they have a place on their site where you can get customized dollar rankings for players based on the categories your league uses. Check it out, it rocks. Only thing that's bad for me, they don't have holds or hitter KO's as available stats, so it's useless for my league.

blatant plug - join my 6x6 league
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33423
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby ondeckb » Sat Feb 28, 2004 5:38 pm

Yanno...life's too short for a league that complicated..... :-P
"Ninety feet between bases is the closest man has ever come to perfection"
ondeckb
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby beezer » Sat Feb 28, 2004 10:54 pm

SIMPLIFY Man!!! I am dizzy just looking at those point values!! I don't get it. I wouldn't even consider playing in a league like that.
"I feel the need. The need for speed!"
beezer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Broncmet724 » Sat Feb 28, 2004 10:57 pm

I joined a league last season with a lot of stat categories and I must say I did not find it interesting, because most times the categories overlap and it wasn't enjoyable at all to me. From what I could tell the league was pretty much inactive which didnt help matters at all either.
Broncmet724 Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby icepak » Sat Feb 28, 2004 11:43 pm

-1 per ab? looks like every hitter would be in the negatives just based on at bats alone, plus those -1 for k's. Might as well not start anyone at all
icepak
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Re: Is this unbelievable, or what?

Postby Casimir » Sat Feb 28, 2004 11:52 pm

aardvarks wrote:I just joined a fantasy leaue with some friends.
It's a head to head point league with 25 catagories
check this out:
Batters- Games started 1pt AB minus 1pt, Run 2 pt's, hit 2pt's,double 4pt's, triple 8pt's, HR 6pt's RBI 2 pt's, SB 3pt's
CS minus 1pt,BB 1pt,
K minus 1pt, Error minus 2
Pitching:
Apperance 1pt, inning 2pt
win 10, loss-6, CG 2pt's shutout 5pt's, save 8pt's, hit minus 1pt, Earned run minus 3, BB minus 1,
K 3pt's, save opp minus 2
I have my draft on Monday night 3/1, is anyone familiar with this format? Who does it favor, Power or speed? Starting or relief? Help!!!!!

Points for position players starting a game? Points for pitchers making their way to the box score? Seems kind of wacky to me, but different strokes for different folks.

If I were you, I'd try to find a location, like Rototimes, that has projections that can easily be loaded into a spreadsheet. That way you can calculate what each player may accomplish for the upcoming season. I've got a points league that I do this for.

In addition to a "master list" of hitters and pitchers, you may want to have a list for each position. This will make it easier to follow each position and judge for yourself whether to garb the last decent 2B or go for the more prolific OF.
Addicted to the Cafe on 01/04/04.
Casimir
College Coach
College Coach

Location: On my way to the World Series victory parade for the Tigers.

Releif

Postby Guest » Sun Feb 29, 2004 8:39 am

The one thing that stands out to me is 8 points for a save. Three or four saves in a week and you've got yourself 40 from a closer for that week. That's more than you're going to get from most starters unless they two start and win them both. I'd aim for two top notch closers to start with.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

re

Postby aardvarks » Tue Mar 02, 2004 9:46 pm

Well the 1st thing I did was take the top performer at hitter, sp and closer and it came out:
Pujols 992
Halliday 844
Gagne 913

I then secluded myself for 72 hrs and rated the top 20 at every infield pos. 80 outfield pos. 100 starting pitchers 25 closers. and ranked them if there was an injury in '03 I used '02 (Vlad, RJ) and it was consistent with my initial findings 1)hitters
2)closers
3)starters
However there was some surprises 2nd base Boone 737 points Soriano 563 pts high K's high ab's few bb's and many errors
anyways we drafted last night 20 teams I picked #3

C-CJ, 1B-Helton,
2b Jiminez, 3B Crede
ss Cintron, LF Berkman
CF B Giles, RF Gibbons
Util C Floyd
Starting pitching(my 1st selection coming in the 8th rd) B Myers, Milton, Pavano, Valdez, J johnson
Relief pitching:
Guardado, Mantei, and Rhodes.
I feel pretty good about my team Based on my research I've got 3 of the top 30 point getters
Helton- 922 pts
Giles- 851 pts (2002)
Berkman- 803 pts (2002)
and a 4th in Floyd if he canonly stay healthy. It seems I say that every year. I only hope that my SP which is awful doesn't hurt me to badly.
aardvarks
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 87)

Return to Baseball Leftovers