Rounding the Quarter Pole - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rounding the Quarter Pole

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rounding the Quarter Pole

Postby MTUCache » Mon May 12, 2008 10:17 pm

So... here we are. It seems like the season just started, but as I look up I see we're already coming up on the 40 game mark.

Some owners would barely recognize the team they drafted anymore.
Others haven't even thought about making any drastic moves yet.

So far, from my team, things look pretty standard. A few slow-starters, a few surprises, but nothing drastic.

Top-50 Players:
Holliday is doing pretty much everything that I expected except hitting HR. The R/RBI/AVG are all where they need to be thus far. B

Crawford, not surprisingly, is right on pace for all categories. This guy is truly a roto-god. A

Braun, despite people thinking he was having a slow start, has picked it up just this week and is actually pretty much just off pace for a projected line of 100/32/115. Seeing as how the entire MIL team has started slowly, my only fear is Prince not being able to turn it on this season and picking up the rest of the team around him. B

Tiexiera has been mildly disappointing thus far, as he's hit just over half of where I thought he would be at this point. Batting .250 is obviously going to improve (he's always a slow starter, starting April/Mays at .255 and climbing throughout the season). Obviously the R/RBI will come with that increased average, so I'm not too worried. C (so far)

Brandon Webb has obviously exceeded all expectations, posting 8 wins to this point, with his 2.40/1.00 ratios sparkling, and 41Ks in 56 Innings. A+

Other players not in the top-50 who I've noticed thus far:
Tejada A-
Franceour D
Hart C
Figgins C+
Lincecum A
McGowan C
Wainwright A

Looking back at the projections you had before the season, who are some of the players on your team (or that you've noticed) who are drastically over-/under-performing? Anybody a late-starter that you're looking to turn it on in the next month or so? I'm mostly looking for hot/cold progress reports on top-50 players here, just to see how off-base our pre-season projections were, but all quarter-pole reports are welcome. (No... we're not really looking for how your preseason McLouth/Votto/Cueto are coming. We've all seen the daily news on those guys. I'm talking about numbers that people had for real before the season stared.)
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rounding the Quarter Pole

Postby dragoon » Mon May 12, 2008 10:39 pm

My top 50(Y! rankings) players(12 team league)

Pujols- Has been pretty good so far. I bought low first week of the season with all of the injury talk and it has really paid off. High average, good numbers across the board. B+

Holliday- Like you said, most numbers are there besides homers. B

Cabrera- Slow start in a new league, but I still think he'll bat at over .300 with 35-40 homers. C

Braun- Another repeat. I expect 35 homers out of him this season and I think he'll do it. B

Soriano- injury plagued season so far, but should be alright. 30-15 should be realistic. D

Beltran- low average so far, but still is getting on base. Like Braun, starting to heat up. .270-30-115-15 sb are realistic goals. C

Cano- Usually a slow starter, no changes this year. Doesn't draw enough walks, but should go for .290-20-100 D

Tulowitski- Was batting .150 with 1 homer before injuring himself. Out until at least July. Hopefully rebounds with a .300-15-50 line in the second half. F

Hamels- Has produced as expected so far. On pace for 16 wins and 200 k. Should end up with an ERA around 3.20. B
dragoon
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Matthias » Mon May 12, 2008 10:52 pm

Santana has been off to a solid, but not super-star, start with the Mets. Four wins, ERA just north of 3, and a WHIP of 1.1 is nothing to sneeze at, but not quite as dominating as I expected. That said, he is a second-half pitcher, so he might finish strong yet. B

Pujols has been a stud. Even with elbow concerns and even with a depleted lineup around him, the man has gotten on base 39 consecutives games, has an OBP of .500, is hitting .349, and has 7 HRs to top it off. A+

Parra was heralded as a great K guy on a good lineup in a weak division. Cha-ching, right? More like ker-plunk. He has nearly as many walks as he has K's which are fewer than his innings pitched and has a ghastly 1.87 WHIP sitting next to an awful 5.79 ERA. D

Maine has been off to a solid, but not super-star, start with the Mets. Sound familiar? Yup, he's having pretty close to the year that Cy-Tana is. 3.00 ERA vs. 3.10. 1.36 WHIP vs. 1.11. 4-2 record vs. 4-2 record. 33K's to ... well, ok, 52. But one of them does make about $22MM more per year than the other. And could've been had rounds and rounds later. A-

Zimmerman, oh how I hate thee. The switch out of the cavernous RFK Stadium was supposed to mean good things for the young corner infielder of the Nats. But he's being outplayed by Jorge Cantu even though he was drafted closer to Garrett Atkins. D with vomit on the report card %-6
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby RAmst23 » Tue May 13, 2008 2:49 am

Was thinking of starting a thread like this myself, well done!!

Jim Thome - I'm playing in 3 leagues, and I drafted Thome in all 3. I thought, what a great value here in the 7th-8th round. Decent power, but not too useful unless in a deep league. C

Prince Fielder - An early 2nd round pick for mediocre power and low run totals. His grade is so low because of where he was drafted. D

Brandon Lyon - The pre season favorite to blow it and to not have a job by May 1st. I had some faith and you proved plenty of people wrong with 10 saves and an ERA at 2.25. Great value pick, A.

Lance Berkman - You're on my team because you were one of the few good picks left at 1B. No idea that there'd be 12 HRs and 6 SBs (!!) by mid-May. A

Justin Verlander - If you were injured, maybe everyone could breathe a sigh of relief. But shrugging your shoulders and saying mechanics is the reason for 1 win and an ERA over 6 is ridiculous. Many people picked him to be the Cy Young winner this year, one of the biggest let downs of the season so far. F
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby yossarian » Tue May 13, 2008 3:33 am

Hmm... Ok. I'll Give it a try.

Wright
Seems to be pretty much on track. Only reason I'm giving him a B and not an A is due to his issues with consistency. This season he seems to be tearing the cover off the ball for 2 weeks, then he can't see anything for two weeks, then he's killing the ball again. Overall I'm happy with him as a first round pick. B+

Crawford
Leads the league in runs, is doing his thing with the steals, and pretty much doing everything else you'd want out of a 2d rounder. Very happy with him. A

Berkman
What can you say. He's been unreal. He always seems to end up on my teams and I'm feeling very lucky that he's on this one. A++

Man Ram
Having the bounceback year I was hoping he'd have. I feel like his production right now for where I got him has been good. His recent minor injury issue is a concern given his age, but I'll take what I can get. B

Felix Hernandez
Started great. In a bit of a funk recently. That's going to happen with such a young pitcher. B-

Tim Lincecum
Another young gun. Been great so far. He's pretty much been the ace of my team. A
yossarian
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby MTUCache » Tue May 13, 2008 5:04 pm

Any updates/insight on Vlad's progress so far? (Currently have a trade offer on the table.)

I had him pegged for a 95/120/30+/5/.320 season.
His current line of 20/20/4/1/.275 would put him way down at 80/80/15+ over a whole season.

That's about a C-, right?

Is he going to turn it around, or is he sliding downhill faster than people expected?
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers