News 3/2 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Chicago Cubs

News 3/2

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

News 3/2

Postby jwhands » Mon Mar 03, 2003 12:13 am

Since nobody else has grab my beloved cubs, I guess I'll follow them.

Mark Clement roughed up....

Clement gave up 4 runs, 3 hits, and 3 walks in 2 innings during a 9-2 loss to the Kansas City Royals on Sunday. Outlook: Hopefully he's just tinkering, but the key to Clement's success is his control. His stuff is amazing, with his main demon being control.

Estes looking good....

"He's gone back to his old windup, and we want to let him be himself," Cubs manager Dusty Baker said. "Hopefully things will come together naturally and if not we'll have to go back to the drawing board and do some more work."

Baker also wants to get a lefty in the rotation, which could open the door for Estes. He may be a decent sleeper when facing other teams' 5th starters.
Jody, Jody Davis. Hits 'em high and far. Jody, Jody Davis. He's a superstar. Holy Cow!!!! http://www.stinkytee.com
jwhands
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby cwebb » Mon Mar 03, 2003 5:20 am

It's not good for a young pitcher to struggle that early, so this could spell trouble to our hopes for the Cubs' young pitching staff!
cwebb
Bouncer
Bouncer

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby EugeneStyles » Mon Mar 03, 2003 9:59 am

That's "Matt" Clement, and though he's young, he's practically a veteran. He'll bounce back.

On a different note, did anybody watch the game friday? From what I read in the Trib, Midre Cummings (a.k.a. "who the hell is this guy?") had 2 HR's and the SS who's name I can never remember had 2 inside-the-park HR's. Obviously, that's only something that happens in spring training, but it sounded like a blast to watch.
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Bobby Brownlie

Postby ironman » Mon Mar 03, 2003 5:27 pm

03/02/2003 1:01 pm ET
Cubs sign top draft pick Brownlie
Right-hander was 22-10 in three seasons at Rutgers

By Carrie Muskat / MLB.com

MESA, Ariz. -- Bobby Brownlie is finally a Chicago Cub.
The Cubs announced Sunday they have agreed to terms with their top draft pick and the right-handed pitcher will report to the minor league camp on Monday.

Brownlie, 22, who was 22-10 in three seasons at Rutgers, signed a $2.5 million contract that includes one year of school and incentives.

"You always want to make every attempt to sign your first pick," Cubs general manager Jim Hendry said.

The right-hander waited until the last minute. He had considered returning to Rutgers to finish college for the second semester, which began in January. The second he went to class, the Cubs would have lost all rights to him.

"I've been joking with my parents that nothing comes easy for me," Brownlie said Sunday, pausing from packing for Spring Training. "I'm happy with the outcome right now. It was a long process for both sides and I'm just happy we were able to come to an agreement."

The 21st player taken overall in last June's draft, Brownlie was hindered his junior season because of tendinitis in his right shoulder. In 2002, he was 6-6 with five complete games and a 3.50 ERA in 13 games (12 starts) for Rutgers. During his college career, he struck out 241 batters over 266 innings, walking 63.

"We felt that in the end he wanted to play," said John Stockstill, the Cubs scouting director.

"There were days where there were doubts," Brownlie said. "I'd be lying if I said there weren't. I'm just happy that we were able to come to something."

Brownlie, who was represented by agent Scott Boras, threw for Stockstill and Hendry on Jan. 20 in California to show that he was over his shoulder problems.

"The main thing was just to test to see that he's healthy and he was," Stockstill said Sunday. "He looked fine."

The Cubs had 10 of the first 123 selections in the 2002 First-Year Player Draft, and now have signed all 10. Why the holdout by Brownlie?

"I think they felt they were trying to get a certain amount of money with what had happened with some players above, and maybe a couple below, and wanted to test the market as long as they could, or test us," Stockstill said. "In the end what was there was what was there."

Brownlie hasn't set a timetable as to when he wants to get to the Major Leagues.

"We're on the same page where I don't need to be rushed," he said of himself and the Cubs. "There's plenty of arms in the organization. There's a lot of good pitching. The best thing for me is to develop and not say I have to be here by such a time or anything like that. When I'm ready, hopefully I'll get the opportunity and can step in and help.

"I appreciate the Cubs taking a chance on me," he said. "I know I was highly touted going into the year and I get hurt and it's hard to battle and pitch through the soreness and everything like that. The Cubs took a chance on me. They treated me fairly."

Stockstill expected the young pitcher to move quickly through the Cubs minor league system. He will most likely begin at Class A Lansing.

"Our reports on Bobby over the last four, five years is that he has a good curveball and he's a pitcher who we think will move quickly," Stockstill said. "He has four pitches and command of the zone, so we think he has a very good upside."

"I guess you could say (the curveball) is my out pitch," said Brownlie, who has been working on a two-seam fastball as well.

And his shoulder?

"My shoulder is actually the best it's been since I was in college," he said. "It was unfortunate last year that I had those problems, because I never had any arm problems, ever. It's very strong and I worked with a trainer the whole offseason, and it's definitely the strongest it's ever been."

Brownlie may not even see the big-league team. He'll report to Fitch Park with the rest of the minor league players. It's OK. There's no rush to be in the same rotation as Kerry Wood and Mark Prior.

"Those guys are there now and they're established," Brownlie said. "My job is to go out and improve now and hopefully have the opportunity to be able to step in with those guys. With pitchers like that, I'm not going to have to be the stud on the staff that I've had to be my whole life. I can just concentrate on getting guys out."

Carrie Muskat is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to approval by Major League Baseball or its clubs.

MY THOUGHTS
Its nice to see the Cubs finally landed him. I had been watching this story for a while now. With the Cubs rotation the way it is it'll be good for Brownlie to be able to take his time in the minors and develop accordingly without being rushed. He could be a great rookie prospect in a year or two!
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Postby metsfan1969 » Mon Mar 03, 2003 5:42 pm

Do any of you think that the lizard can manage the pitching staff at Chicago the way it needs to be managed? I know he had a good run at SF, but I always heard that he isn't that good at managing his staff. Is this hearsay or is it fact?
Well Look who has come to the cafe, It's Mr. Met!
metsfan1969

Cafe Writer

Postby jwhands » Mon Mar 03, 2003 9:49 pm

It's fact. You should know. Look at what your NYM did to Nen in the playoffs a few years ago. That was a sign of being overworked during the season, causing burnout in October. He did a lot better job with the Giants staff last season, so maybe he's beginning to learn the ropes on using your pitchers wisely.

It also helps that he has a beefed up pen. He has sooooo many arms to choose from, he can afford to give a pitcher the early hook to rest him for the future. Also, the mid relief will not be worked over so hard because of the # of quality guys he can turn to each day.
Jody, Jody Davis. Hits 'em high and far. Jody, Jody Davis. He's a superstar. Holy Cow!!!! http://www.stinkytee.com
jwhands
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Chicago Cubs