Getting Lil Madison to School - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Getting Lil Madison to School

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Getting Lil Madison to School

Postby Tavish » Mon May 12, 2008 3:26 pm

Texas Truancy Test Program

Instead of juvenile detention, Jaime was selected by a judge to be enrolled in a pilot program at Bryan Adams in which chronically truant students are monitored electronically. Since Jaime started carrying the Global Positioning System unit April 1, he has had perfect attendance.

“I’m just glad they didn’t take him to jail,” said Jaime’s grandmother Diana Mendez, who raised him. “He’s a good kid. He was just on a crooked path.”

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 70)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Getting Lil Madison to School

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon May 12, 2008 4:31 pm

How long before they catch some Poindexter with 20 GPS braclets on him?

Madison will of course point to the cost of the bracelets and how much would be saved if they just used the capital punishment laws that they have.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby Amazinz » Mon May 12, 2008 5:02 pm

By 7:15, Jaime was in the passenger seat of his grandmother’s sport-utility vehicle, holding the little black monitor out the window for the satellite to register.

Oh the irony. Technologically advanced enough to track kids by satellite but the transmitter has to be held out the window. Lol.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Mon May 12, 2008 5:30 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:Madison will of course point to the cost of the bracelets and how much would be saved if they just used the capital punishment laws that they have.

:-b

Actually, parents can get into trouble for a kid not attending school, including jail and/or loss of custody. The grandmother in this story should be glad she's still got custody of the kid (provided I'm assuming correctly that she has custody - she drops him off for school and there's no mention of his mother or father).

Anyway, I'm fine with this kind of thing. Schools need to step it up in a big way. This won't fix all their problems, but getting the kids in class on time and every day is a start. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby bigh0rt » Mon May 12, 2008 5:34 pm

Madison wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:Madison will of course point to the cost of the bracelets and how much would be saved if they just used the capital punishment laws that they have.

:-b

Actually, parents can get into trouble for a kid not attending school, including jail and/or loss of custody. The grandmother in this story should be glad she's still got custody of the kid (provided I'm assuming correctly that she has custody - she drops him off for school and there's no mention of his mother or father).

Anyway, I'm fine with this kind of thing. Schools need to step it up in a big way. This won't fix all their problems, but getting the kids in class on time and every day is a start. ;-D

I agree that schools need to step it up in a big way, but getting the kids to class isn't on the school, it's on the parents/guardians.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 817)

Postby JonahC8 » Mon May 12, 2008 5:51 pm

THEY SHOULD BE IMPLANTED WITH THE VERICHIP LOL
JonahC8
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Madison » Mon May 12, 2008 5:59 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
Madison wrote:Anyway, I'm fine with this kind of thing. Schools need to step it up in a big way. This won't fix all their problems, but getting the kids in class on time and every day is a start. ;-D

I agree that schools need to step it up in a big way, but getting the kids to class isn't on the school, it's on the parents/guardians.

Let me put it this way:

#1. Parents need to do their jobs as parents. Way WAY too many of them have no business raising a kid and cannot even take care of themselves, simple lack of class, respect, upbringing, and brainpower. I'd love to see harsher and stricter punishments and penalties to parents who have no business raising a kid.

#2. Schools need to be more strict. Bring back real punishments instead of the coddling crap they do now. They should be able to do whatever is necessary to ensure a safe school, and a real education to the youth of America. And I mean really teach, not what is currently considered teaching (and I don't blame teachers/schools 100% for the crap that is currently called an education, the federal government holds a large percentage of the blame too).

So I feel for the schools in a sense. Every punishment gets criticized, overall scores of the students are examined too close, the federal government putting in unreal expectations, etc, etc, etc. However, schools need to realize they are dealing with tons of deadbeat worthless parents, and due to that, they need to step it up and understand that while the whole situation stinks, it's still up to them to ensure the America of tomorrow doesn't get any worse than the America of today and act accordingly. That simply means to do whatever needs to be done, regardless of how "harsh" it may come across to the braindead parents that have no clue. Schools need to stand up to the federal government and explain just how bad things are and what is necessary to get this country back on the right track. It won't be a quick and easy procedure, but the country is hemorrhaging, and is on its way to bleeding out. Little band-aids won't do the trick, major changes need to happen just to stop the bleeding and hold water. We're easily 3 generations away from things really getting any better, but the worse this country gets, the harder it will be to get it back on the right track (provided it doesn't reach the point of no return).
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Tavish » Mon May 12, 2008 8:23 pm

Madison wrote:#2. Schools need to be more strict. Bring back real punishments instead of the coddling crap they do now. They should be able to do whatever is necessary to ensure a safe school, and a real education to the youth of America. And I mean really teach, not what is currently considered teaching (and I don't blame teachers/schools 100% for the crap that is currently called an education, the federal government holds a large percentage of the blame too).

This is the biggest problem I have with truancy laws. Forcing high school kids to go to school who have no desire and do basically whatever they can to ditch annoys me. Instead of teachers teaching and the admins dealing with safety/security they are playing parole cop for kids who often aren't going to do anything except disrupt class when they are there.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 70)

Postby AussieDodger » Mon May 12, 2008 10:20 pm

You can go to jail for not going to school?

HuhWHA?

Lucky they didn't have that law in NZ when I went, or I'd be serving ten life sentences. }:-)
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 143)

Postby RocketsDWM » Mon May 12, 2008 11:17 pm

Some kids should not be forced to go to school beyond a certain age. Let them go to a technical school or begin work.
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 57)

Next

Return to General Talk