jay bruce up soon? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

jay bruce up soon?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: jay bruce up soon?

Postby Von Hayes » Mon May 12, 2008 4:19 pm

JoshExley wrote:
Heck, look at Ryan Braun's K rates through minors AND majors. His MLB career is hovering around 25%.

K rate as a tell-all sign of success? :-t Sorry Yodes.

Exactly. During Braun's monster year last season, he had 112 Ks to 29 Walks.
Von Hayes
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Mon May 12, 2008 4:32 pm

Von Hayes wrote:
JoshExley wrote:
Heck, look at Ryan Braun's K rates through minors AND majors. His MLB career is hovering around 25%.

Ummm he did that in MLB not AAA. There is a difference I promise you.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby JoshExley » Mon May 12, 2008 4:39 pm

Yoda wrote:
Von Hayes wrote:
JoshExley wrote:

To satisfy the "All Knowing", what must he bring it down to just out of curiosity?
All guys with Bruce-like pedigree have hovered between 20-25% K rates in the minors (Braun included).
We're talking Upton brothers, Delmon,..ARod, Griffey, Jr, etc.
JoshExley
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Von Hayes » Mon May 12, 2008 4:53 pm

Yoda wrote:
Von Hayes wrote:
JoshExley wrote:

Wait a minute. I thought the point was that a youngster will likely struggle to have success if he doesn't get a handle on his high K rate. Braun had one of the best offensive seasons for a rookie ever and he still had an extremely high K rate.

As for the minors, in 2006 (half the season at A and half at AA) he had 100 Ks and 44 Walks. 100Ks in 457 ABs. He did look like he was improving that in his 117 Abs in AAA last year (11 Ks/15 BBs).

Not that I'm suggesting the Bruce will come up and be the next Braun...but I still think he's worth owning in shallow leagues at this point just for the potential alone. It would be great if every young hitter came up with 5 Tools, perfect plate discipline, and a big swinging bat for the ladies, but not everyone can be perfect. I'll own Jay Bruce any day of the week over the David Murphys and Skip Schumakers of the world.
Last edited by Von Hayes on Mon May 12, 2008 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Von Hayes
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby freeling_prideful » Mon May 12, 2008 5:21 pm

Here's a big factor in his value: if he comes up to the majors and dominates for the first two weeks--possible while pitchers wait for a good scouting report on him--then you can get something much better than him in trades.

This is why I'm holding on to him right now...I don't really need the OF help, I just hope he can net me another big pitcher.
freeling_prideful
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Amazing Oopah » Mon May 12, 2008 5:25 pm

would anybody drop Joey "3 HR in a single game" Votto for Bruce?
Amazing Oopah
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 4)

Postby bigh0rt » Mon May 12, 2008 5:31 pm

Amazing Oopah wrote:would anybody drop Joey "3 HR in a single game" Votto for Bruce?

no.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby Yoda » Mon May 12, 2008 6:29 pm

Von Hayes wrote:
Yoda wrote:
Von Hayes wrote:Exactly. During Braun's monster year last season, he had 112 Ks to 29 Walks.

Wait a minute. I thought the point was that a youngster will likely struggle to have success if he doesn't get a handle on his high K rate. Braun had one of the best offensive seasons for a rookie ever and he still had an extremely high K rate.

As for the minors, in 2006 (half the season at A and half at AA) he had 100 Ks and 44 Walks. 100Ks in 457 ABs. He did look like he was improving that in his 117 Abs in AAA last year (11 Ks/15 BBs).

Not that I'm suggesting the Bruce will come up and be the next Braun...but I still think he's worth owning in shallow leagues at this point just for the potential alone. It would be great if every young hitter came up with 5 Tools, perfect plate discipline, and a big swinging bat for the ladies, but not everyone can be perfect. I'll own Jay Bruce any day of the week over the David Murphys and Skip Schumakers of the world.

Braun had a 8% K rate at AAA along with an 11% BB rate before he got called up. And he was absolutely destroying AAA at the time.

I know it's fun to compare a young prospect to the Arod's and the Pujols's of the world but you need to be realistic as well. And no one said that they would take Murphy and Schumaker over Bruce. ;-)
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Von Hayes » Mon May 12, 2008 9:16 pm

Yoda wrote:Braun had a 8% K rate at AAA along with an 11% BB rate before he got called up. And he was absolutely destroying AAA at the time.

I know it's fun to compare a young prospect to the Arod's and the Pujols's of the world but you need to be realistic as well. And no one said that they would take Murphy and Schumaker over Bruce. ;-)

Those rates are based on the 117 ABs that already mentioned...not a huge sample size. His K rate in the majors is probably more indicative of the type of hitter he is -- a guy who Ks a lot but is also awesome when he's not striking out. There's no question he was destroying AAA...and Bruce seems to be destroying AAA as well.

I agree on the need to be realistic, but I don't think people are saying he's going to be Pujols. I used Murphy and Schumaker because that's the type of talent that most people would need to consider dropping if they wanted to add Bruce. No one's saying you should trade Hanley Ramirez for Jay Bruce. People are saying that you might want to jump on the Bruce train before it leaves the station...and for most people the ticket is pretty cheap at this point. I picked up Bruce a month ago and I can't even remember who I dropped but I think it was Chad Cordero.
Von Hayes
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Surfs up » Mon May 12, 2008 9:19 pm

What is the earliest anybody thinks he could come up? Lat I heard Bailey was coming up to pitch Thursday. Think Bruce could come with him? I can put in for him but the request only lasts 1 week. And it goes to the person who put in the request first. Should I wait? Should I put it in NOW? Damn I wnat to get this guy but don't want to pull the trigger too soon. June 1st is still two weeks away. Why June 1st.
May 9th is the date I thought for abritration. Plus he was up last year.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 183)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers