Smoltz! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Smoltz!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Smoltz!

Postby Auronx62 » Mon May 12, 2008 1:58 am

With his recent decision to go to relief, do you think he will regain the role as closer? Soriano seems to be staging his comeback around the same time smoltz is, seeing that they both threw sessions today. Will stats dictate for smoltz to go back to his role as closer?
Auronx62
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Smoltz!

Postby jcook3127 » Mon May 12, 2008 2:08 am

I'm not really basing this on anything other than logic, but I feel Smoltz will be inserted into the closer role upon returning...I read Todd Jone's little column in this week's Sporting News and he mentioned a pre-season discussion he had with Smoltz...he said that Smoltz told him he had a pain in his arm and that he thought he could pitch through it...of course, he was wrong in that assessment, and seems to have his heart set on coming back as a reliever, where his arm will better be able to handle the work load...

With that said, I cannot imagine any scenario where Smoltz returns from the DL and sets up for the Braves...this was a guy who was truly dominant as a closer in years past, and he's been dominant as a starter ever since...

Smoltz will close and he will dominate in that role...of course, his owners obviously drafted him hoping for 160-180 innings of dominance..they'll have to settle for a top tier closing option
Why don't they just get a house that's already painted?
jcook3127
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Auronx62 » Mon May 12, 2008 2:33 am

I, for one drafted him for that reason. But i guess closing role will do, since i'm lacking in that dept anyways. Thanx for your input. :-)
Auronx62
College Coach
College Coach

Postby damnitman » Mon May 12, 2008 2:47 pm

Will smoltz retain SP eligibility the rest of the way in yahoo leagues if he comes back and becomes the closer? That would be huge in leagues with limited RP spots...could plug him in at SP when you dont have a pitcher to start ;-D
damnitman
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BALCO All-Stars » Mon May 12, 2008 2:54 pm

damnitman wrote:Will smoltz retain SP eligibility the rest of the way in yahoo leagues if he comes back and becomes the closer? That would be huge in leagues with limited RP spots...could plug him in at SP when you dont have a pitcher to start ;-D

Rule of thumb = fantasy sites don't remove eligibility as the season goes...eligibility can only increase as the season goes on, so Smoltz SHOULD become a SP/RP eventually.
BALCO All-Stars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Postby BJSFAN123 » Mon May 12, 2008 2:56 pm

Yes, Smoltz will close and he will have SP eligibility which makes him extremely valuable.
BJSFAN123
General Manager
General Manager

Postby anti elian » Mon May 12, 2008 3:33 pm

BJSFAN123 wrote:Yes, Smoltz will close and he will have SP eligibility which makes him extremely valuable.

I have a feeling that the trade I made for Smoltz as soon as the closing speculation picked up is going to be the move that puts me in 1st place at the end of the year. I'm pretty much neck-and-neck with another owner and we project to have similar numbers when it's all said and done. The difference is going to be saves. I'll win the category while he'll finish middle of the pack. I love SP eligible closers!
anti elian
College Coach
College Coach

Postby KrunK » Tue May 13, 2008 6:35 am

Once he gets off the DL I'm trying to dump to some idiot in the league I've got him in who hopefully won't realize he's closing and get caught up with the amazing stats. It's a mean move, but I've got enough closers at it is and that's what you get for not paying attention.
Credit to smoovethug on the sig
KrunK
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Injuries & Player Updates