Help a foreigner! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Help a foreigner!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Coppernob » Fri Feb 27, 2004 3:35 pm

xeifrank wrote:You need to convert ratio categories like WHIP, ERA and Average into counting stats like Runs, HRs, Wins etc... are.

Yes! You and the others are correct and that has been my biggest problem: how to assign a value above and below league average: i.e.
1) HOW do i recognise above and below what level a player is making a contribution to a Yahoo category ratio stat (eg, ERA, AVG, OPS)
2) HOW do I convert that into a rankable quantity i can then use in excel

xeifrank wrote: To convert average to a counting stat, use the following formula:

Counting Stat = Hits - (AB * .280)

There is a similiar formula for ERA and WHIP and any other ratio category.

Now this is the missing link! I was tinkering by multiplying the player's AVG by his AB was was unhappy with that.

Now I need to find the same formula for the others.
Would the following be correct?

ERA is, following your example above,
9*ER-(IP*ERAAVG) where ERAAVG is the avg ERA for the pitchers that can be drafted

WHIP:
(W+H)-(IP*WHIPAVG)

k/9
K*IP-(9*K9AVG)

OBP:
(H+BB)-((AB+BB)*OBPAVG) (yes, i know that i need to take into account HBB and Sacflys but this approx should be sufficient)

SLG:
TB-(AB*SLGAVG).

PS

I saw your piece of software and i found it very interesting. The only thing that would prevent me from throwing out my excel attempts and using your software is that i cannot choose the scoring categories (some, especially these famous ratios, are missing) except one by one.

vr,

Xeifrank

Image[/quote]
Coppernob
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers