Kent for Pierre? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Kent for Pierre?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Kent for Pierre?

Postby zpalm » Thu May 16, 2002 9:36 am

I am in need of some speed in a 12 team nl only roto league.

HR, RBI, R, SB, BA.

I am currently 1st in HR, 1st in RBi, 3rd in Runs, 6th in SB, 2nd in BA.

I am 10 HR above the second guy, 14 rbi the second guy, however if am middle of the pack with stolen bases i have 28 the 2nd place guy has 33 while the guy with Pierre has 55 (i won't catch him, he has all speed and little power).

My only worry is that with the loss of Kent's power, HR + RBI i would slip out of first in those categories. But i think Pierre will add the speed i need to move up in SB + he should score more runs than kent.

But i am weary of trading kent cause he bats after bonds and he walks all the time giving him lots of RBI opportunities.

What do y'all think? Should i pull the trigger?
zpalm
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

kent

Postby cwebb » Thu May 16, 2002 11:33 am

Kent didn't really play up the potential he has so far this season, but given the positions I think you should try to upgrade another position, too.
cwebb
Bouncer
Bouncer

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Arlo » Thu May 16, 2002 2:04 pm

Pierre is definizely worth Kent in terms of total value, but with those standings, I'd only do this if I have a reasonable backup at 2b. Plus, you're not only losing Kent's power numbers, but those of whoever you replace with Pierre in your lineup.

I like Pierre a lot, but it may be too early in the season for this deal. You might be better off padding your power stats, and then picking up extra speed a bit later.

Who would you play at 2b, and which of would head for the bench?
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby zpalm » Thu May 16, 2002 3:50 pm

I would not need to bench an Outfielder as i have Kent at my Util Spot and could put Pierre in the Util spot too.

In this NL league i have B. Hill (he should provide me some speed) and M. Giles as my MI + 2nd spot. Plus, i have J. Ortiz on reserve.

Another thing to ponder is if i pick up Pierre is that i will have all of Colorado's outfield except "hawaiin Punch" as i currently have LWalk and Hollandsworth. Generally, i think it is bad to stack up on one team but Colorado is a different story.
zpalm
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Arlo » Thu May 16, 2002 5:47 pm

I wouldn't worry about having lots of Rockies. In one league last year, I managed to pick up their entire infield, and enjoyed a great ride.

With Hill, Giles and Ortiz as your 2b options beyond Kent, I'd hesitate to trade him, or at least wait until a bit later in the season. If Hill develops nicely, you'll be set for steals anyway and can reassess who to deal Kent for (not that Pierre would be a bad option). If he doesn't, you'll be happy you still have Kent. I'd shelve this deal for the moment while keeping negotiations open, and see if perhaps there's some other way you could pry Pierre loose.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dark Treb » Thu May 16, 2002 8:18 pm

I'm surprised that Bobby Hill became owned by so many in ESPN so fast!

As a big time Cubs fan, I know exactly what's going on, and I've watched Hill. He's undoubtedly going to be very good, and is a safe bet, but not this year. Only one (maybe 2, don't remember exactly) of his hits so far has been a solid hit. His double was a lucky bloop that could've and should've been caught, he also had an infield hit. He won't be putting up monster numbers soon, although he'll definitely beat Delino DeShields any day.

Bobby Hill is somewhat overrated right now, he'll be a good player, maybe even a great player, but he's not going to run much (which is what most people are expecting). Why won't he run? He's usually hitting first or second, and with Patterson hot, he's hitting second. When he hits second, if he gets on, guess who's up? Hint: He's the most consistent superstar homerun hitter in the game, and getting a CS right before he launches one will just get Baylor fired that much faster.
Dark Treb
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby EugeneStyles » Thu May 16, 2002 9:29 pm

I agree with you on Bobby Hill. He looks good, and I wouldn't be embarrassed to have him riding the bench on my team (right now, I've got Mark Bellhorn there covering 1B/2B/3B, and I'll keep him there for a while), but starting Hill at 2B is a little premature. He's not playing everyday, and even if he was, you can't expect the guy to adjust to big-league pitching that fast. I'd put good money that he's gonna struggle for a while, but heck, anyone's better than Deshields or Young. %-6
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Return to Baseball Leftovers