Division Effect - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Division Effect

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Division Effect

Postby Fort » Thu Feb 26, 2004 3:55 pm

How heavily do you guys weigh a SP's division when creating a cheat sheet? As much as I'd love to have Pedro, Moose, Halliday, Schill, Vazq, etc... doesn't the prospect of having to face these opposing lineups so often hurt their numbers? I guess a stud is a stud and they'll shut down even the best hitters... but maybe more so for the average starters on these teams? I know the AL East, for example, also has Tampa Bay.... but I think you get where I'm going with this.

Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks
Fort
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby MikeeDee » Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:06 pm

Yes, a stud's a stud. It's middle of the road starters where this becomes an issue though. Darrel May (KC) is a nice young pitcher. he had some good numbers last year. he plays most of his games in the AL Central. Would I have him on my team, hell on my bench if he played for the Orioles? No! But in a 12-team league, playing for KC I'll take him as a 5th or 6th pitcher. Just an example.
MikeeDee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Re: Division Effect

Postby wrveres » Fri Feb 27, 2004 3:46 am

Fort wrote:How heavily do you guys weigh a SP's division when creating a cheat sheet? As much as I'd love to have Pedro, Moose, Halliday, Schill, Vazq, etc... doesn't the prospect of having to face these opposing lineups so often hurt their numbers? I guess a stud is a stud and they'll shut down even the best hitters... but maybe more so for the average starters on these teams? I know the AL East, for example, also has Tampa Bay.... but I think you get where I'm going with this.

Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks

welcome to the cafe.

generally I try and target NL pitchers vs AL, and pitchers hame parks are also of great concern. As far as the stud pitchers go, it only has a little effect.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby Fort » Fri Feb 27, 2004 12:05 pm

thanks

this place is amazing
Fort
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby djacks » Fri Feb 27, 2004 1:11 pm

I wouldn't worry about the stud pitchers you mentioned...it will actually help their stikeout totals since "power" lineups tend to strikeout more often...and it will have little effect on win total, era, and whip...

but I do agree about being cautious with the middle of the rotation guys...or that caliber of pitcher...I would be hesitant to draft Ponson this year as he will be facing Halladay, Pedro, Schilling, Vazquez, Brown, Moose, etc...

But I would draft any of those other guys and not think twice about it. Great pitching usually beats great hitting.
"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."-Ayn Rand
djacks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers