Whos Aaron Laffey? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Whos Aaron Laffey?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Whos Aaron Laffey?

Postby yaboygino » Sat May 10, 2008 9:06 pm

Hes had 3 great starts....is he worth a look??
yaboygino
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Whos Aaron Laffey?

Postby Zephyrius » Sat May 10, 2008 9:30 pm

Ha... wanted another arm when Baker went on the DL. Was looking for anyone who wouldn't hurt me in the WHiP dept. and I found Laffey. Looks like he's going to get me a "W" pitching 7 scoreless innings tonight.

Zeph
Zephyrius
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 4)

Postby mrmarley » Sat May 10, 2008 9:48 pm

Extreme groundball pitcher. He started 9 games last year I believe in the majors including some time in the playoffs.

Adam from Projectprospect turned me onto him earlier. I picked him up in 3 leagues for a spot start when I saw he was going against that Toronto offense, or lack thereof.

I would say if you need the help with wins, era and whip and can take a hit in k's, he's worth looking at on a game-to-game basis. My pitchers are getting me over a K/IP in the Cafe Challenge league, so he was a perfect spot start there.

Ranked 3rd out of the top 5 Indians Prospects pre-season on Project Prospect:

3. Aaron Laffey, LHP (4/15/85)

On Sept. 30, Aaron Laffey left the hill at Kauffman Stadium with two outs still on the table. Laffey had done his part to ensure a 4-2 victory over the host Royals in five innings of work, but the 6-foot, 185-pounder managed to walk away two outs away from losing prospect eligibility. Laffey earned his way into an Indians uniform by combining to post a 1.13 WHIP, 3.30 K/BB rate, and preserved his moniker as an extreme groundball pitcher with a 64% GB rate between Double-A and Triple-A. A 16th rounder in 2003, Laffey found success in his 49.1 innings in the Majors, posting a 1.34 WHIP and 65% GB rate to show that he has the makings to become a quality starter in the Cleveland Indian rotation in 2008.

Ranked 5th out of the top 10 Indians prospects over at Moundtalk

5. Aaron Laffey, LHSP, MLB. Perhaps no Indians player took a bigger leap this year than Aaron Laffey did. Starting the season with 35 innings repeating Double-A (despite performing well there last season) Laffey came out the gates a changed pitcher. Prior to 2007, Laffey had racked up K% of 11.7% in Low-A, 14.1% in High-A and 12.8% in Double-A while posting BB% of 8.8%, 3.5% and 6.9%. Over his time in AA and AAA this year, Laffey totaled 17.0% and 19.2% strikeout rates while dropping his walk rate to 5.0% and 5.8%. It should suffice to say Laffey was much better. He’s a groundball pitcher who is finally getting strikeouts and doesn’t walk many batters. Laffey needed just two outs to lose his rookie eligibility and will find himself starting for the Tribe in 2008.
mrmarley
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jondunc » Sat May 10, 2008 11:40 pm

Those are some good write-ups on him. If you're interested in spot-starters Laffey's an intriguing candidate (as are most all Indians hurlers, Shapiro's "waves of arms" goal is really paying off). Solid stuff, nothing flashy, but will do serviceably in his 5th-6th pitcher role. Don't get excited about him or anything, but he'll help you out.
2008: 37th ranked Yahoo PLUS Rotisserie Public team (24 weeks in top 45, 9 weeks as #1)
2006: 18th ranked Yahoo PLUS Rotisserie Public team (17 weeks in top 35)
jondunc
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jswede » Sun May 11, 2008 10:34 am

Westbrook is coming back soon though
jswede
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mrmarley » Thu May 15, 2008 1:47 pm

I'll probably jinx him posting before the game is over, but I hope they can find a way to keep him in the rotation. Not only are his peripherals good today vs OAK (no ER's, 5 hits, 0 walks) through 5 innings, but he's got 5 K's too...bonus!
mrmarley
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby oddmanout7 » Thu May 15, 2008 4:42 pm

I think he is the odd man out in the rotation when Westbrook gets back though.
oddmanout7
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby wingman3110 » Thu May 15, 2008 4:49 pm

He will be getting sent back down to the minors.
"Just be you. You is enough." - Coach K
wingman3110
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 142)

Postby mrmarley » Sat May 24, 2008 7:33 pm

Carmona to the DL should give Laffey 3 more starts if anyone still has him available in their league. He'll get CWS, TEX and then DET. All three should be good tests for him as it'll be his 2nd start in a row vs the Sox and then TEX and DET have the ability to put a lot of runs on the board, but with the way he's been pitching I'll probably keep him in for all 3. Here's to hoping for continued success... ;-D
mrmarley
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers