Jose Contreras - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Jose Contreras

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jose Contreras

Postby Jibmasterflex » Sat May 10, 2008 12:09 pm

What is the deal with him? He has had like 5 good starts in a row yet he was still available in my AL only league so I snatched him up. Does anyone think he will keep this up??
Jibmasterflex
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Jose Contreras

Postby The Fischer Account » Sat May 10, 2008 3:18 pm

He has filthy stuff plus Ozzie likes him. I say keep him but start him judiciously.
The Fischer Account
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Sat May 10, 2008 8:35 pm

Definitely snag him. He's got the potential to be good, which is all you're looking for in AL or NL only leagues. One thing to be wary of though is that it seems like Ozzie likes to keep him in there longer than he should.... and also seems to let him throw a ton of pitches before leaving games...
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby sherwood921 » Mon May 26, 2008 11:33 am

Just wondering what everyone thinks of Contreras now. Is he going to be able to keep this up? May has always been his best month by far...with a 3.32 ERA and 1.06 WHIP. Then he goes back to his career 4.46 and 1.33. Is this year going to be the same?
sherwood921
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ROC AllStars » Mon May 26, 2008 1:09 pm

I think at this point we have to consider him as playing back to '05 form. His velocity on the fastball is back up over 90, and his control with it is greatly improved over last year. This means that his forkball is much more effective as he can keep hitters from expecting it.

Most importantly, it appears that he came into this season with something to prove (and indeed, he DOES have something to prove after last season). He is mentally focused and confident, and its reflecting in his whole game demeanor. He looked intimidating last night on the mound. I expect solid numbers from him this year. I think his ERA will bump up a bit, but I think that 15-17 wins is a definite possibility, if he gets enough run support.
"This guy leads the league in most offensive categories, including nose hair..."
ROC AllStars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 11)

Postby stickkeys108 » Tue May 27, 2008 5:11 pm

ROC AllStars wrote:I think at this point we have to consider him as playing back to '05 form. His velocity on the fastball is back up over 90, and his control with it is greatly improved over last year. This means that his forkball is much more effective as he can keep hitters from expecting it.

Most importantly, it appears that he came into this season with something to prove (and indeed, he DOES have something to prove after last season). He is mentally focused and confident, and its reflecting in his whole game demeanor. He looked intimidating last night on the mound. I expect solid numbers from him this year. I think his ERA will bump up a bit, but I think that 15-17 wins is a definite possibility, if he gets enough run support.

The Kelvim Escobar of this season?
stickkeys108
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Injuries & Player Updates