Carlos Beltran - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Carlos Beltran

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Carlos Beltran

Postby Montana » Sat May 10, 2008 7:42 am

Beltran, though, has a .210 average and just two homers to date. Perhaps more than any other star in baseball, Beltran just isn't any good when he has to play at less than 100 percent, and he still isn't completely recovered from offseason surgery on both knees. I think he qualifies as a buy-low candidate, but an immediate turnaround probably isn't on the way. …
-RotoWorld

Wondering what you guys think about Beltran the rest of the way........whether he's going to bounce back and be worthy of his second round ADP.......or if his knee problems will be a hindrance the rest of the way.

Specifically, I'm wondering what all you die hard Mets fans see watching him everyday......

In the numbers, I see his walk rate is up considerably......he's K'ing a little bit more than normal, but nothing to really be concerned about......his BABIP is a bit below avg.....but not so low, that his current BA can be brushed off as simply bad luck.........and while his LD% is up a bit........the worrisome thing to me, is the step incline in his GB% and consequent decline in his FB%........leaving his ISO looking as bad as it did in his nightmarish 2005 season.

Any predictions on where his numbers will end up, come season's end?
Montana
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Carlos Beltran

Postby gws226 » Sat May 10, 2008 10:54 am

I sold Beltran early in the season, I admit I was expecting a dropoff, but not quite the cold start as he has had thusfar. I haven't seen many games this year so I can't comment on how well he's swinging the bat, but looking at it from a statisical standpoint, it looks more like a hardluck start vs bad baseball. He's reached base safely in the last 14 games he's started while his avg has dropped from .243 to .218 during that same time period. Something is going to turn back his way.

I'm thinking of putting the buylow tag on him and see if I can trade him back :)
If you found my advice helpful, please help me
gws226
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bAsKeTcAsE86 » Sat May 10, 2008 11:01 am

Montana wrote:
Beltran, though, has a .210 average and just two homers to date. Perhaps more than any other star in baseball, Beltran just isn't any good when he has to play at less than 100 percent, and he still isn't completely recovered from offseason surgery on both knees. I think he qualifies as a buy-low candidate, but an immediate turnaround probably isn't on the way. …
-RotoWorld

Wondering what you guys think about Beltran the rest of the way........whether he's going to bounce back and be worthy of his second round ADP.......or if his knee problems will be a hindrance the rest of the way.

Specifically, I'm wondering what all you die hard Mets fans see watching him everyday......

In the numbers, I see his walk rate is up considerably......he's K'ing a little bit more than normal, but nothing to really be concerned about......his BABIP is a bit below avg.....but not so low, that his current BA can be brushed off as simply bad luck.........and while his LD% is up a bit........the worrisome thing to me, is the step incline in his GB% and consequent decline in his FB%........leaving his ISO looking as bad as it did in his nightmarish 2005 season.

Any predictions on where his numbers will end up, come season's end?

I think Rotoworld's got this guy pegged perfectly--if he's healthy, he rakes, if he's playing hurt, he sucks. It seems like there's no in between with him...
"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." ~Edgar Allen Poe
bAsKeTcAsE86
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Fischer Account » Sat May 10, 2008 3:22 pm

He was my 1st round pick in a 20 team league, so I'm obviously disappointed with his production. I shopped him around and nobody wanted to even buy low on him. On the flip side, he is an On base machine. Once his hitting gets luckwarm, his numbers will begin to fall into place. It's too early to give up on him.
The Fischer Account
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby wildbill » Sat May 10, 2008 3:34 pm

So far Beltran's 2 for 2 with 5 RBIs and a run in game 1 of today's double header. He was batting .294 over the last week coming into today. Perhaps he's turning the corner on his season.
wildbill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby pokerplaya » Sat May 10, 2008 3:37 pm

They were just talking about how his quad is still bothering him b/c of the knee surgery but that he is feeling better every day. He'll get there, and when he does, he'll hit.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby DaShiz23 » Sat May 10, 2008 4:10 pm

this is a guy i've avoided based on draft position. feast or famine is not something i want to deal with in a second round pick....first round..ouch!
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)

Postby Box » Sat May 10, 2008 5:33 pm

Obviously the guy is too talented to stay cold. Today's line was a nice upturn. I just traded for him.....I dont think .270 and 25 HR are out of the question yet.
Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby DaShiz23 » Sat May 10, 2008 5:35 pm

.270 and 25 hr's outta an early second rounder?...ouch... considering he isnt running either.
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)

Postby Box » Sat May 10, 2008 6:05 pm

DaShiz23 wrote:.270 and 25 hr's outta an early second rounder?...ouch... considering he isnt running either.

I didn't say he's not a disappointment to those who drafted him....just implying he's a good buy low candidate right now. I'm not expecting anymore than that out of him.
Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates