New Cards Closer - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

New Cards Closer

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: New Cards Closer

Postby ActionHero » Sat May 10, 2008 10:54 am

jcook3127 wrote:Nope...blew another save tonight but there is no official announcement that he's going to be replaced...if that happens (I don't expect it to) it'll be Ryan Franklin closing unless they bring up Perez who's regarded as the closer of the future

What's the expected timeframe on Perez taking over? TIA
ActionHero
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Birds05 » Sat May 10, 2008 11:03 am

Perez doesn't appear to be available in ESPN leagues. Anyone else having this problem? Thx.
Birds05
College Coach
College Coach

Postby clevername » Sat May 10, 2008 11:27 am

if Izzy's taken out of the closer position we'll probably see a committee of Franklin and McClellan with some lefties thrown in for matchups like LaRussa does in every other inning of the game.

I don't think they want to bring Perez up and immediately throw him into the fire. He's more likely to come up and do some middle relief, then set up, then maybe close towards the end of the year if it's still a problem.

An interesting possibility would be Wellemeyer if there was anyone who could take his rotation spot.

In any event, I don't think there's going to be a firm answer. From a fantasy perspective I'd stay far away from the Cards closer situation.
When you are a man, sometimes you wear stretchy pants in your room...is for fun.
clevername
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby lowelltr » Sat May 10, 2008 1:15 pm

Don't forget Anthony Reyes...not saying it would be a good move, but it's a possibility. TRL is unpredicatble,a nd is looking to give Reyes the right role on the big club......
lowelltr
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby stevethumb » Sat May 10, 2008 1:34 pm

Inukchuk wrote:
stevethumb wrote:my guess is ryan franklin but chris perez is lurking at AAA and is pitching very well

Not to seem like a troll, stevethumb, but weren't you the one ranting and raving about Scherzer having no shot to close because

...it has NEVER happened since closers became the be all and end all to MLB games...name one team in the middle of a pennant race that has turned to an unproven rookie who has as limited professional pitching experience as Scherzer...

Can you clarify why Chris Perez seems to be a special case? He has no major league pitching experience, and STL is certainly in the middle of a pennant race right now. I understand he is currently closing in AAA, but he is still an unproven rookie...is he that good?

if you re-read the thread, my problem w/scherzer is he has NO bullpen and limited professional experience...cperez has a ton of bullpen experience..he was the closer at miami and had 27 consecutive saves at AA last year ..therein lies the difference...i stand by my statement that there has never been a closer in the middle of the pennant race w/no bullpen experience and so little professional experience as scherzer

and as i suggested in the latest cards-milwaukee game thread, the cards need help in the 7th and 8th innings too so i'm not naming perez the closer just audition him in the set up role to see IF he is ready
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Tom Emanski AllStars » Sat May 10, 2008 1:56 pm

i think it's between McClellan & Franklin.....which one do you think will get the nod?
Tom Emanski AllStars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby clevername » Sat May 10, 2008 2:43 pm

from week to week, both.

I don't think it's going to be stable. And I don't think Izzy has had his last chance. And as far as we know right now, he's still the closer.
When you are a man, sometimes you wear stretchy pants in your room...is for fun.
clevername
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby StarsNPinstripes » Sat May 10, 2008 2:47 pm

StarsNPinstripes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Montana » Sat May 10, 2008 3:00 pm

The Cardinals manager said the closing duties will be split between Ryan Franklin and Russ Springer, and that he wouldn’t shy from using a left-hander in the role against certain lineups.

“We’ll mix and match,” La Russa said. “I think all things, everyone rested, Franklin and Springer are the guys that match up the best.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Franklin, who had been the setup man, said he hadn’t been told what his new role might be, but the right-hander is 1-1 with a 2.00 ERA in 19 appearances this season.

“He gets righties and lefties out, he’s very quick off the mound, so he’s tough to run on,” La Russa said. “He gives you a lot as a guy that’s pitching important innings in games.”

From the link provided.
Montana
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby clevername » Sat May 10, 2008 3:03 pm

plus this. He's probably going to get back into the role later.

La Russa told Isringhausen on Saturday that it's no different from when a top hitter is struggling in the lineup. La Russa's only options would be to shuffle the lineup or give a player a few days on the bench.

In Isringhausen's case, La Russa wants to keep him active and fresh, but still give him a mental break from the taxing role of being the closer.

"He's not hurting, he's just pressing and lost his confidence," La Russa said. "You go back to the drawing board a little bit on his delivery so he can locate better, and you give him some appearances and hopefully he gets people out and his confidence goes back up."
clevername
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates