100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Jacoby Ellsbury

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jacoby Ellsbury

Postby ivanhack » Fri May 09, 2008 10:31 am

cbs.sportsline

Jacoby Ellsbury, CF BOS

News: The Boston Globe notes that the center field platoon system that the Red Sox have employed this season using both Jacoby Ellsbury and Coco Crisp has been an even split through the first 37 games of the season. Crisp made his 19th start of the season Thursday against Detroit. Ellsbury has started 18 times.

Analysis: The Globe also notes that the split may not have been so even had Crisp not strained his right hamstring in mid-April. Crisp missed eight games as a result. Ellsbury was at his best in the eight games he started while Crisp was hurt. In 40 plate appearances, he batted .313 (10 for 32) with a .450 on-base average, .594 slugging percentage, and 1.044 OPS. He had four extra-base hits, including two home runs, walked six times, scored 11 runs, and stole six bases. He has not started more than two consecutive games in center since, and has cooled off in his last 10 games - half of which he has started in center - batting .256 (10 for 39) with eight runs, one extra-base hit, a double, four walks, and five stolen bases. Heading into the season, it appeared the Red Sox would look to trade Crisp, allowing Ellsbury to become the everyday center fielder. But it hasn't happened yet. Ellsbury could be in for a breakout second half, though, if a trade were to be made -- providing him with everyday at-bats.
ivanhack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Jacoby Ellsbury

Postby bAsKeTcAsE86 » Fri May 09, 2008 2:30 pm

There's no reason for the Red Sox to trade Crisp unless they have to fill a need later in the season. He's a great defensive center fielder and pinch runner option even if he's not hitting, and as he is hitting, a solid platoon player. Ellsbury will be the starting center fielder for the Red Sox for a long time, but Crisp gives Boston the luxury of allowing him to slowly adjust to playing a 162 game Major League season.
"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." ~Edgar Allen Poe
bAsKeTcAsE86
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ivanhack » Fri May 09, 2008 4:27 pm

Thanks dude, that's pretty sound anaylsis. ;-D

I have a question, looking at Ellsbury's game log for the past couple weeks it looks like he plays almost every day. Is Ellsbury platooning with JD Drew also?

bAsKeTcAsE86 wrote:There's no reason for the Red Sox to trade Crisp unless they have to fill a need later in the season. He's a great defensive center fielder and pinch runner option even if he's not hitting, and as he is hitting, a solid platoon player. Ellsbury will be the starting center fielder for the Red Sox for a long time, but Crisp gives Boston the luxury of allowing him to slowly adjust to playing a 162 game Major League season.
ivanhack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ivanhack » Fri May 09, 2008 4:32 pm

Never mind, they had Papi out of the lineup Sunday and Manny out of the lineup one day this past week.

stats inc

May 4 Ellsbury was moved to left field on Sunday against Tampa Bay after starting two games in center field in place of Coco Crisp, who was out with a knee injury.

Advice: Ellsbury went 3-for-7 with a double, an RBI and three walks during the two games in Crisp's place. Ellsbury's move to left field was due to a knee injury to David Ortiz. The designated hitter is not in the lineup Sunday, and is being replaced by left fielder Manny Ramirez.
ivanhack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby DetroitTigers » Sat May 10, 2008 7:36 am

Should I sell high on Ellsbury?? I can use Brian Roberts in his place. They are the same type of player...
DetroitTigers
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bAsKeTcAsE86 » Sat May 10, 2008 10:19 am

DetroitTigers wrote:Should I sell high on Ellsbury?? I can use Brian Roberts in his place. They are the same type of player...

I guess it depends on who your other OFs are. But if you're examining both of these players as utility options, keep in mind that only one of them (Roberts) plays every day and both of these players have similar offensive skills...
"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." ~Edgar Allen Poe
bAsKeTcAsE86
College Coach
College Coach

Postby shinedog » Mon May 12, 2008 11:26 am

There's no news items any where that I see on this but in last night's Sunday night ESPN-televised game, Ellsbury took a pitch off of his left knee. He was down for a little bit but walked it off and eventually scored in the inning. He stayed in the game but I'm betting its a bit sore today. Wouldn't surprise me to see him out of tonight's game. Something to watch out for the next couple days.
shinedog
College Coach
College Coach

Postby chinst » Mon May 12, 2008 12:04 pm

shinedog wrote:There's no news items any where that I see on this but in last night's Sunday night ESPN-televised game, Ellsbury took a pitch off of his left knee. He was down for a little bit but walked it off and eventually scored in the inning. He stayed in the game but I'm betting its a bit sore today. Wouldn't surprise me to see him out of tonight's game. Something to watch out for the next couple days.

I don't know if Ellsbury sits out - Manny has a sore right hamstring and they can't both sit.
chinst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Doughhead » Mon May 12, 2008 6:19 pm

Looks like Manny is back and Ellsbury is sitting tonight. Not sure if Ellsbury's on the bench because of the injury or if it's just Coco's turn. Either way, kinda disappointing for Jacoby owners.
DOUGHHEAD
Doughhead
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby shinedog » Tue May 13, 2008 9:00 am

chinst wrote:
shinedog wrote:There's no news items any where that I see on this but in last night's Sunday night ESPN-televised game, Ellsbury took a pitch off of his left knee. He was down for a little bit but walked it off and eventually scored in the inning. He stayed in the game but I'm betting its a bit sore today. Wouldn't surprise me to see him out of tonight's game. Something to watch out for the next couple days.

I don't know if Ellsbury sits out - Manny has a sore right hamstring and they can't both sit.

Damn I am good. :D

From Rotowire:

May 13 Ellsbury did not play Monday night because his knee was still sore after getting hit by a pitch in Sunday's loss to Minnesota, the Boston Globe reports.

Recommendation: Red Sox manager Terry Francona started Coco Crisp in center field on Monday. "Just keep revolving them," Francona said. "We seem to have four [outfielders] and every night three are healthy."
shinedog
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates