Different Draft Strategies - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Different Draft Strategies

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Different Draft Strategies

Postby astimeexpires.com » Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:01 pm

I need some help with draft strategies. Which ones do you guys use and/or which do you find work the best? So far I've got the following to choose from:

-Scarcity (draft SS and 2b first because they are the hardest to fill...possibly draft a 3b in the third round then go from there)

-Best player available (regardless of position just draft the best guy)

-Balanced (draft a stud hitter then a stud pitcher)

Are there any other strategies out there that i'm missing? I'm sort of drawing a blank on this.
http://www.astimeexpires.com
"Making Sports Humor a Possibility"
astimeexpires.com
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ncstate04 » Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:04 pm

I always draft the best available player. I dont draft a 2nd baseman just for the heck of it, when there are much better players available.
ncstate04
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby nsulham » Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:07 pm

It's not bad have a certain idea of what you want to do but be flexible. If the draft changes on you, you want to be able to change with it. If a great player falls to you who doesn't necessarily fit into your "strategy", don't think, just take him. Never pass up great players just because you're sticking with a strategy.

If you were on a diet, would you completely eliminate cake? Of course not, you'd still cheat here and there. Likewise, don't be afraid to stray from your strategy when a great players is your for the taking.

Hope this helps ;-D
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby astimeexpires.com » Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:15 pm

obviously you don't follow a strategy 100%. i'm just trying to get a general idea of what you do or start out with. any more you can think of?
astimeexpires.com
College Coach
College Coach

Postby unclepaulie » Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:15 pm

Have GOOD projection stat's on players, and then if you have to choose between the best available player (OF or a SS) you will be ready. If their numbers are close go with the position of scarcity.
Last edited by unclepaulie on Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image <-----Meet the "NEW" Mets

"I pity the mind that can only spell a word one way"
-Thomas Jefferson
unclepaulie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: @ your house with my dirty shoes on ya white couch!

Postby slowkidz » Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:16 pm

nsulham wrote:It's not bad have a certain idea of what you want to do but be flexible. If the draft changes on you, you want to be able to change with it. If a great player falls to you who doesn't necessarily fit into your "strategy", don't think, just take him. Never pass up great players just because you're sticking with a strategy.

If you were on a diet, would you completely eliminate cake? Of course not, you'd still cheat here and there. Likewise, don't be afraid to stray from your strategy when a great players is your for the taking.

Hope this helps ;-D

mmmm...cake... :-)

great advice there!!! ;-D
beep....beep
slowkidz
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby astimeexpires.com » Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:40 pm

do you guys wait on closers or pull the trigger on them (in general). how about catchers (the good ones atleast)
astimeexpires.com
College Coach
College Coach

Postby EugeneStyles » Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:54 pm

There was an article here last year on "Tier Drafting". This is a position scarcity strategy, but it's a little bit more detailed. Basically, rank all of the players at each position, and then organize them into tiers, between which there is generally a large drop off.

At first base, I have Albert Pujols and Todd Helton in the 1st tier. For catchers, Posada, Pudge, Javy, and Piazza are tier 1. At SS, Arod is 1st tier alone, and at RP Gagne is alone in the 1st tier.

Usually, I have about 5 tiers per position, 7 or so for OF, 9 for SP, with the lower tiers (higher-numbered tiers) being larger. I might have 20 or so 7th tier OF's, although my object is not to really draft any of them.

Then, when it's your turn to draft, you pick based on the positions you need with the fewest players in the highest tier left. Personally, I go for hitters first as well, which means the best available player has to be Arod.

If it's your turn to draft in the 5th round and there is one 2B available in the 2nd tier, and three 3B available in the 2nd tier, you'd take a 2B, all things being equal. This insures that you get the best value for your pick, compared to other players that may be available. If there's a great OF available, but there are 6 other OF's available with similar value, you can afford to wait a round or two before you pick one of them.

As far as catchers go, since no one catcher stands head and shoulders above the rest, you can wait a long time before you have to pull the trigger, even if you want a 1st tier catcher.
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby EugeneStyles » Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:02 pm

EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby astimeexpires.com » Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:06 pm

thanks that helps a ton. the only question i have with regards to catchers, usually when someone pulls the trigger on the first catcher then the top 4 catches (the top tiered guys) are usually gone within a round. is the end of the third or beginning of the fourth an acceptable time to pull the trigger on the first catcher (in a 12 team 5X5)
astimeexpires.com
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers