Doumit and Paulino - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Doumit and Paulino

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Doumit and Paulino

Postby Chuckd05 » Thu May 08, 2008 1:58 pm

why do the pirates keep giving paulino 2-3 starts a week? Any pirate fans out there know if he is that much better on D than doumit? Doumit is perhaps the pirates best run producer this season, their cleanup batter, and is hitting for a very high and respectable average. Yet he is almost splitting time with a guy who is barely batting .200 who never produces anything. How does this coach stomach benching doumit... and it seems when doumit plays on consecutive days his bat gets even better. When he gets a string of 3-4 starts he will do better and better and the next day after he hits a game winning hit or something, he is back on the pine. He nomrally goes 0 fer after a days rest too. Just a very irritating thing that has been bothering me... any pirate fans out there know why paulino still is even considered their starter or a time share catcher?
Chuckd05
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Doumit and Paulino

Postby Chuckd05 » Thu May 08, 2008 2:00 pm

paulino has 1 hit in the last two weeks... he basically has half the ABs as doumit, so they are prob on a 2 game doumit, 1 game paulino rotation... still seems illogical to me to pull doumit's bat out of the order
Chuckd05
College Coach
College Coach

Postby harold_bush » Thu May 08, 2008 4:09 pm

As a Doumit owner, I'm not complaining too much. Doumit is still the 2nd best catcher in our league format, and while the rest is frustrating, it will likely be helpful down the road. Hell, it might be helpful now in keeping Doumit fresh. As the season wears into summer, most catchers slow down offensively. Having this extra rest will probably keep Doumit fresher.
C- Montero/Napoli
1B-Pujols
2B-Cano
SS-Jeter
3B-Wright
OF-Dunn, J. Upton, Ichiro
UT-Chris Young
Bench - Carlos Lee, Pierre, Aramis

SP-Liriano, Wainwright, Jamie Garcia, Nolasco, Colby Lewis
RP- Wagner, K-Rod, Capps, Wood, Corpas
harold_bush
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby siQ_innovation » Fri May 09, 2008 1:33 am

harold_bush wrote:As a Doumit owner, I'm not complaining too much. Doumit is still the 2nd best catcher in our league format, and while the rest is frustrating, it will likely be helpful down the road. Hell, it might be helpful now in keeping Doumit fresh. As the season wears into summer, most catchers slow down offensively. Having this extra rest will probably keep Doumit fresher.

Very good point about the "freshness". I'd rather have a catcher that can stay fresh and constant give me 1-4's, 3-4's, etc etc instead of giving me a 3-4 and then a 0-4 because he's tired. Fresh catchers can put up the numbers and keep your AVG from dropping, I'm liking how the Pirates are giving him some days off. So he can produce better offensively and keep away from injuries.

Props to RyanK for the Sig.
siQ_innovation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Lynchman1 » Fri May 09, 2008 5:58 pm

Giving him days off?? It seems like he barely plays. I am a Doumit owner and I am complaining. He's the team's cleanup hitter and he is out of the lineup 1 out of every 3 games, that's significantly hurting the Pirates offense. I have no problem giving the guy rest but he should play at least 4 out of every 5 games. He's 27 years old I think he can play 4 or 5 games in a row.
Lynchman1
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby hwiggen » Fri May 09, 2008 7:03 pm

Doesn't Doumit have a history of injury problems? Maybe it just seems that way to me but that could be a factor in the Pirates decision to rest him so often.
And, Pirates fans, how are these guys defensively? I know that in the past they had Doumit moving to the OF or 1B with Paulino behind the plate. Maybe Paulino is an upgrade defensively.
hwiggen
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Ursa » Fri May 09, 2008 7:28 pm

hwiggen wrote:Doesn't Doumit have a history of injury problems? Maybe it just seems that way to me but that could be a factor in the Pirates decision to rest him so often.
And, Pirates fans, how are these guys defensively? I know that in the past they had Doumit moving to the OF or 1B with Paulino behind the plate. Maybe Paulino is an upgrade defensively.

I read somewhere this morning that the Pirate pitchers prefer Paulino behind the plate. However, Doumit is improving in his catcher skills.

I have Doumit as my one spare batter. Tonight I'm starting him in his OF capacity over Delmon Young. My main catcher is Benjie Molina.

Edit: And as I typed this, Doumit got a single. ;-D
Ursa
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Return to Injuries & Player Updates