um, what is an "Eephus pitch"? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

um, what is an "Eephus pitch"?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: um, what is an "Eephus pitch"?

Postby acsguitar » Thu May 08, 2008 12:42 pm

JoshExley wrote:Pascual Perez.
That is who I most remember throwing it. That thing used to go 15' in the air and drop in. Wow. Must've been the late 80s.

Good video:
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php ... 8872282758

That was awesome!
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cooner » Thu May 08, 2008 1:13 pm

the one against Papi looked more like a slow curve... something like 54 mph slow. It didn't really go high enough to be an Eephus IMO... it was never much above head-height, whereas Sewell's Eephus was at times over 20 feet.

What you forget to mention was the full scenario of Ted hitting Rip's Eephus...

first, Ted had asked Sewell if he was going to throw "that blooper pitch" in such an important game, and Sewell said yes. Sewell was injured and wasn't expected to pitch, but got brought on to stir up the crowd for an inning of work. Williams came up with two on, and shook his head at Sewell as if to say "don't throw it." Sewell kept nodding "yes yes yes it's coming." First pitch was a huge 25 foot arc that Williams swung as hard as possible and whiffed on, nearly losing his spikes. Next was an eephus for a ball, and then a fastball for a ball as well. Next one Teddy crushed out of the yard.

Photos (and Ted) later proved that he had actually run at the pitch when trying to hit it, and hit the ball about a foot in front of the batter's box. He should have been called out.

It was the only "homer" hit off an Eephus in Sewell's career.
Cooner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Thu May 08, 2008 1:14 pm

Greinke throws one also.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby jlm53089 » Thu May 08, 2008 1:16 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:Casey Fossum threw it when he was with the Rays, but it got destroyed

Casey Fossum got destroyed with or without the Eephus.
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby J35J » Thu May 08, 2008 1:31 pm

Yoda wrote:Greinke throws one also.

Yeah, his is just a real slow curveball as well.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 387)

Postby WyldStallyn » Thu May 08, 2008 1:33 pm

i seem to remember one being thrown in 'rookie of the year'
WyldStallyn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby hot4tx » Thu May 08, 2008 1:39 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:Casey Fossum threw it when he was with the Rays, but it got destroyed

I think I remember him doing that once in college against tu at Olsen. It was awesome. ;-D
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby shasty mcnasty » Thu May 08, 2008 1:42 pm

Cooner wrote:the one against Papi looked more like a slow curve... something like 54 mph slow. It didn't really go high enough to be an Eephus IMO... it was never much above head-height, whereas Sewell's Eephus was at times over 20 feet.

first, Ted had asked Sewell if he was going to throw "that blooper pitch" in such an important game, and Sewell said yes. Sewell was injured and wasn't expected to pitch, but got brought on to stir up the crowd for an inning of work. Williams came up with two on, and shook his head at Sewell as if to say "don't throw it." Sewell kept nodding "yes yes yes it's coming." First pitch was a huge 25 foot arc that Williams swung as hard as possible and whiffed on, nearly losing his spikes. Next was an eephus for a ball, and then a fastball for a ball as well. Next one Teddy crushed out of the yard.

Photos (and Ted) later proved that he had actually run at the pitch when trying to hit it, and hit the ball about a foot in front of the batter's box. He should have been called out.

thanks for the description and story, that's great. So am I to understand that this pitch gains an elevation of 20 or 25 feet in the air? And then what, it just kinda drops to the ground, hopefully on top of the plate? Something like a slow pitch softball pitch, but overhand? I mean, how slow does this thing really go?
shasty mcnasty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Location: enjoying another beautiful day in southwest Michigan

Postby Yoda » Thu May 08, 2008 1:45 pm

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby JoshExley » Thu May 08, 2008 1:55 pm

shasty mcnasty wrote:
Cooner wrote:the one against Papi looked more like a slow curve... something like 54 mph slow. It didn't really go high enough to be an Eephus IMO... it was never much above head-height, whereas Sewell's Eephus was at times over 20 feet.

thanks for the description and story, that's great. So am I to understand that this pitch gains an elevation of 20 or 25 feet in the air? And then what, it just kinda drops to the ground, hopefully on top of the plate? Something like a slow pitch softball pitch, but overhand? I mean, how slow does this thing really go?

Shasty, check out the video I posted. You'll see Pascual's. No chance that thing goes over 50 MPH.
Mound is elevated, so by the time the pitch is at it's peak, it seriously is like 15' off the ground (field level) and arches right into the catcher's mitt.
JoshExley
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers