DAMON value...? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

DAMON value...?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

DAMON value...?

Postby Clevelander » Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:41 am

how do you you rank this guy....

i like his speed but is he going down or up, rumors of not leading off will hurt or not hurt him....

i would really like to hear evryones opinion on him...
(ive been put in a spot of a trade involving him and its a decent trade but my trigger is stuck, i get prior and damon and he gets k.brown and green. i know i should do it for prior prob alone since the 2 involved in my deal have been proven but just in the last yr. the numbers arent readable'...anyway, the overall question is how you rate or value damon...)
Harry Doyle: Remember, fans, Tuesday is Die Hard Night. Free admission for anyone who was actually alive the last time the Indians won the pennant.
Clevelander
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mattusd » Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:06 pm

Damon is probably one of the most overrated fantasy players ever. yes, he does steal.. but so does randy winn... actually, winn's numbers the last couple years have been slightly better (at least equal) than damon's, but winn seems to be ranked a lot lower than damon in a lot of outfield rankings. i think the reason why damon seems to be a coveted player is because people who don't have him on their teams only notice the 2 months when he tears it up... only damon owners know about the long periods where he does absolutely nothing.

anyways... this trade all depends if you're in a keeper league or not. if you are, then you get prior... hands down the best pitcher keeper. if you're not, you still get a pretty good deal. now shawn green will probably hit like 30 bombs this year... but i would still pull the trigger on this trade if you have enough power to replace green's numbers. then, you can slide in damon for some cheap steals and runs.

the thing is, damon no longer hits for a high average... so anything higher than .275 will be a shock. if you can live w/ .275-14-66-30 and a lot of peaks and valleys, then i would do the trade... but i don't see damon doing any more than that.
mattusd
College Coach
College Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby stumpak » Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:16 pm

First, having Damon on your team is irritating in its own right because he is so damn streaky. Second, the Red Sox now worship solely at the Beane Church of OBP, so while there is no upside to his SB potential, there is a solid chance he SB total for 04 will more like 20 than 30. I agree that he is highly overrated.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby cardinals15 » Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:34 pm

Damon isn't overrated so long as your don't rate him that high. He's a solid player, if you care at all about ESPN player rater, he always is in the top 100, which would translate to a reasonable 8-10 round guy. Damon has the potential to hit .300, drive in 70 rbi, steal 30-40, and hit 15-18 hr, and 100+ runs. You get a little bit of everything. Guys like Sanchez and Dave Roberts create a huge deficit in rbi and hr when you play those guys.
cardinals15
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Transmogrifier » Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:40 pm

cardinals15 wrote:Damon isn't overrated so long as your don't rate him that high. He's a solid player, if you care at all about ESPN player rater, he always is in the top 100, which would translate to a reasonable 8-10 round guy. Damon has the potential to hit .300, drive in 70 rbi, steal 30-40, and hit 15-18 hr, and 100+ runs. You get a little bit of everything. Guys like Sanchez and Dave Roberts create a huge deficit in rbi and hr when you play those guys.

Agreed, as long as he stays in leadoff, he'll put up good numbers. Plus, last year was a rough one for him, so I expect him to rebound a bit.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Yikes » Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:03 pm

Didn't Damon end the season last year with a nasty concussion or something? Anybody knows how he's recovering from that?
Insert Signature Here...
Yikes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Jer19G » Thu Feb 26, 2004 5:27 pm

Yikes wrote:Didn't Damon end the season last year with a nasty concussion or something? Anybody knows how he's recovering from that?

Damon says that he feels fine. he has also gained 15 pounds, but that will do nothing to his value IMO. I like Damon mainly because he has hit over 100 runs for the last 6 years.
Demon Days
Jer19G
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Swinger » Thu Feb 26, 2004 5:34 pm

I'm worried about Francona, and whether he'll let the sox run next year.
Swinger
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Return to Baseball Leftovers