Official Ryan Spilborghs is better then Brad Hawpe Thread - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Official Ryan Spilborghs is better then Brad Hawpe Thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Official Ryan Spilborghs is better then Brad Hawpe Thread

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu May 08, 2008 12:54 pm

acsguitar wrote:I do like Hawpe but I think Spilborghs/Pods/Ian Stewart could take his spot over and then we might actually get a decent 3rd or 4th starter.

I'm just wondering who are you expecting in return?
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 455)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Thu May 08, 2008 1:01 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
acsguitar wrote:I do like Hawpe but I think Spilborghs/Pods/Ian Stewart could take his spot over and then we might actually get a decent 3rd or 4th starter.

I'm just wondering who are you expecting in return?

I don't really have any ideas. But Hawpe is a nice talent and I think clubs would be interested in acquiring him.

I'm usually better at guessing ballparks that fit a players need rather then teams.

I'd think/suggest that Hawpe would put up great numbers in Baltimore, Fenway, Old yankee stadium.

I'm not sure what teams could use him. Maybe we can trade him to KC for Hocehvar :) not. Or Ramon Ramirez back
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby avsfan4ever33 » Thu May 08, 2008 6:20 pm

Hawpe is a very streaky player - he can go on horrible cold streaks where he's striking out every other at bat, and he can get super hot and hit the ball with power to all fields. I like Spilly a lot, and I think he'd be starting in the outfield for some teams. I don't think he should start in the Rockies outfield, but he's an excellent fourth outfielder/late game pinch hitter who can get in 2-3 starts per week. He should be getting the starts for Hawpe against lefties the majority of the time though.

As for possibly trading Hawpe, I'm not opposed to it. He's the most expendable to me of the Rockies big guns, and if he could bring back a nice starting pitcher Spilly wouldn't be a bad replacement and possibly Ian Stewart as acs suggested later on. Is a trade likely however? Probably not.
avsfan4ever33
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby MashinSpuds » Thu May 08, 2008 6:49 pm

If Francis doesn't turn it around and Cook falters in his miracle start, I can see why Colorado might try to make a trade for an arm. I can see them moving Spilborghs for someone of a caliber of Loaiza, though, since they're probably higher on Hawpe understandably. If they feel they can deal with a little less power in Spilborghs (but similar stats), and that moving Hawpe can net them a better arm for a playoff run, then I see where you're coming from with Hawpe, acsguitar. I do think they'll stick with the big bat, though.... seems the usual in the MLB to keep the sure thing and move the spare part.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 149)

Postby Field » Thu May 08, 2008 10:27 pm

Never been a fan of Hawpe especially in fantasy. He certainly far exceeded expectations last year so taking him in the top 10 rounds wasn't a wise move. If he was potentially a 5 cat contributor I could see the appeal, but it is relatively easy to find an outfield replacement who can bascially replicate his stats off the ww.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu May 08, 2008 10:36 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:Hawpe kills RHP he just can't hit LHP. Platoon him and be happy.

ding ding ;-D

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 65)

Postby Ender » Sat May 10, 2008 1:26 am

Anyone that thinks Spilborghs is better than Hawpe from a real baseball standpoint is simply clueless. Hawpe is one of the best hitters in baseball against righties, maybe 5% of players are in the same realm as him. Spilsborghs is a marginal player against lefties only. For fantasy things are a bit closer of course since so much of Hawpe's value is tied up in BB.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 451)

Postby Bloody Sox » Sat May 10, 2008 7:45 am

acsguitar wrote:
Bloody Sox wrote:
This entire thread is garbage.

Thanks for the input arse

Notice above where I ask for information on weather statistically he could replace Hawpe. Anyway Hawpe as a "Power Hitter" is a 6 hole hitter. So thats one reason I could see Spilly take a nice spot there.

I'm not hating on Hawpe but I think he could return some nice pitching and Spilly could take over for him in right field with a mix of Pods/Willy.

Right back atcha, buddy.

The title of your thread wasn't "Would it make sense to trade Hawpe and replace him with a platoon led by Spilborghs?" it was the "official" thread talking about the ridiculous notion that Spilborghs is better than Hawpe, all based on one month of offensive stats (which closely match Hawpe's April stats last year before going nuts for 5 months) and completely ignoring the fact that Hawpe is a far superior defensive player.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 20)

Postby Grounded Polo » Sat May 10, 2008 7:49 am

Hawpe's bat is finally getting going with 2 homers and 8 RBIs in the past week.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby lbbaseball14 » Sun May 11, 2008 2:50 am

this is a bad thread.
*Thanks to Super Manny*
lbbaseball14
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers