Rookie Pitching - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rookie Pitching

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rookie Pitching

Postby Yanks Ruined It » Wed May 07, 2008 8:17 pm

Just trying to start a some dialog about rookie pitchers,Why is everyone so hyped up over rookies or prospects unless you play keeper.Very rarely have I seen one have any major fantasy value in a roto non keeper or even h2h non keep. I really think the hype generated here in the CAFE lures some people into thinking if the player was good in the minors he will continue to be dominate in the bigs, it just doesnt work that way.I 've seen 2 this year with all the press ,Cueto and Sherzer, Cueto hasnt been anything to write home about Sherzer is still a ? Seems that rookies have very little impact in any of the major sports(basketball?)anyone want to add to this please, I need to be informed. The reason for this is I play a lot of teams on yahoo and everyone burned a ww pick on Sherzer last week and now evryone is dumping cueto
If there is baseball in heaven!!!! Be very aware of the starting lineup
Yanks Ruined It
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rookie Pitching

Postby jake_harv88 » Wed May 07, 2008 8:24 pm

Very rarely? That seems like a downplay to me.

Rookie pitchers come into major leagues and are effective all the time. Gallardo, Lincecum, King Felix, Jered Weaver. These guys all came into the majors and were effective and useful fantasy commodities. Whats best about a rookie pitcher is you have no idea how high their ceiling is. How good can they be? What is their limit? No on knows. I agree that rookies get overhyped, but anytime you get the chance to add a high upside pitcher mid season you have to take it. Temper your expectations but dont avoid rookies like the plague...
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 24)

Postby jake_harv88 » Wed May 07, 2008 8:26 pm

Also rookies have major impacts in all major sports. Think Adrian Peterson in football and Kevin Durant/Lebron James in basketball. But those are topics for other boards ;-D
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 24)

Postby Yoda » Wed May 07, 2008 8:53 pm

Yanks Ruined It wrote:Just trying to start a some dialog about rookie pitchers,Why is everyone so hyped up over rookies or prospects unless you play keeper.Very rarely have I seen one have any major fantasy value in a roto non keeper or even h2h non keep. I really think the hype generated here in the CAFE lures some people into thinking if the player was good in the minors he will continue to be dominate in the bigs, it just doesnt work that way.I 've seen 2 this year with all the press ,Cueto and Sherzer, Cueto hasnt been anything to write home about Sherzer is still a ? Seems that rookies have very little impact in any of the major sports(basketball?)anyone want to add to this please, I need to be informed. The reason for this is I play a lot of teams on yahoo and everyone burned a ww pick on Sherzer last week and now evryone is dumping cueto

41/8 K/BB in 41 IP is nothing to write home about?

I play in 2 keeper leagues so I put quite a bit of premium on them but even in redraft leagues, with rookies, you are pretty much getting something for nothing. They can help you win leagues.

Plus it's a lot of fun to watch them grow up.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Return to Baseball Leftovers