Furcal - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Furcal

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Furcal

Postby PavanoAllstars » Wed May 07, 2008 3:04 pm

Out for the second straight day with an off day tommorow... is this something to be concerned about? He's just been so good that his absence, even for a couple of days... stresses me out. Hopefully it's attributable to the fact they're going for the sweep, it's an afternoon game and they're having an off day tommorow so that'd give him three days off in a row...

Anyone heard anything about why he's not playing again and whether it's just the back stiffness stuff?

thanks
For every Brett Myers there's a Nate McLouth...
PavanoAllstars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Furcal

Postby Don G. » Wed May 07, 2008 3:06 pm

Supposedly just back stiffness. They didn't seem overly concerned about it. I expected him to be out today...it makes sense since it gives him an extra day of rest tomorrow. Sucks for me since I'm losing some very precious starts but hopefully I still pull it off this week.
Don G.
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Whomper » Wed May 07, 2008 3:24 pm

From CBS

Rafael Furcal, SS LA
News: Dodgers shortstop and leadoff man Rafael Furcal couldn't play Tuesday against the Mets because of lower back stiffness. Furcal, second in the majors with a .369 average, was the only player to start each of the Dodgers' first 31 games. According to MLB.com, trainer Stan Conte said the injury is in the sacroiliac joint, but didn't think Furcal would miss "more than a day or so."
Analysis: Furcal left a game last season in September because of back spasms and missed the final 12 games of the season. Conte said an MRI taken at the end of last season revealed normal changes, but nothing that required surgery. "This is not really the same issue," Conte said. "This doesn't seem to be serious."
Whomper
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby PavanoAllstars » Wed May 07, 2008 3:36 pm

I saw those updates, thanks. So I guess it seems there's no surprise he's out two days in a row with the off day?

Is that the consensus?
PavanoAllstars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby PavanoAllstars » Wed May 07, 2008 3:47 pm

ok, i'm backing off the ledge now:

LOS ANGELES -- Shortstop Rafael Furcal reported improvement in his sore back and pitcher Jason Schmidt's bullpen session went without incident before the Dodgers' game on Wednesday with the Mets.
Furcal missed his second consecutive start, but said with Thursday's scheduled off-day that he anticipated returning to the lineup for Friday night's series opener with the Astros. Furcal missed the last 12 games of last season with lower back spasms, but this injury is said to be in a different area and not considered by club officials as serious.

With Furcal out of the lineup, Chin-lung Hu started at shortstop again in a lineup that also did not include struggling center fielder Andruw Jones. Andre Ethier started in right field, Matt Kemp moved to center and Jeff Kent, originally scheduled to get the day off, started at second base. Torrid Juan Pierre (.458 in his last six games) led off
PavanoAllstars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Pochucker » Thu May 08, 2008 12:55 pm

After the first game a Met announcer interviewed Furcal. He asked him what he attributed his start to compared to last year. Furcal says "I'm feeling real good man. No injuries" Twelve hrs later hes scratched --duh!
Pochucker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby harold_bush » Thu May 08, 2008 4:12 pm

I say..................SELL! SELL! SELL! He is playing WAAAAYYYY over his head.
C- Montero/Napoli
1B-Pujols
2B-Cano
SS-Jeter
3B-Wright
OF-Dunn, J. Upton, Ichiro
UT-Chris Young
Bench - Carlos Lee, Pierre, Aramis

SP-Liriano, Wainwright, Jamie Garcia, Nolasco, Colby Lewis
RP- Wagner, K-Rod, Capps, Wood, Corpas
harold_bush
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby tmlfan4ever » Thu May 08, 2008 4:16 pm

harold_bush wrote:I say..................SELL! SELL! SELL! He is playing WAAAAYYYY over his head.

Only if you get FULL value. I don't think this is a guy that will fall off the table completely. He is going to be a top 5 at his position. Remember, he has been touted for a breakout for a few years, but injuries have held him back.
tmlfan4ever
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Bogey9906 » Thu May 08, 2008 4:46 pm

tmlfan4ever wrote:
harold_bush wrote:I say..................SELL! SELL! SELL! He is playing WAAAAYYYY over his head.

Only if you get FULL value. I don't think this is a guy that will fall off the table completely. He is going to be a top 5 at his position. Remember, he has been touted for a breakout for a few years, but injuries have held him back.

I don't think of Furcal as a breakout candidate, just as someone due to get back to his normal levels. He was hurt last year, but look at the 4 years before that...100+ runs, double-digit HRs, around 35 SBs. He's an established player at those levels, which are all easily attainable this year without a "breakout." He could even surpass those numbers this year. Last year was a down year simply due to an ankle injury in spring training that affected him all season.

He's worth keeping all year and is not a sell-high candidate (unless someone offers you Hanley!). I think he'll be top 4 at SS and may even beat out one of the Big 3 this year.
Bogey9906
College Coach
College Coach

Postby PavanoAllstars » Fri May 09, 2008 10:39 pm

He's not in the line up again!?!?! What's up? Still the back?
PavanoAllstars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates