Starting No Catcher? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Starting No Catcher?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Starting No Catcher?

Postby colt4523 » Thu May 08, 2008 11:34 pm

If you have Johjima as your catcher it is pretty much the same as starting no catcher :-]
90% of my posts are from complaining about my team :)
colt4523
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 83)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu May 08, 2008 11:49 pm

colt4523 wrote:If you have Johjima as your catcher it is pretty much the same as starting no catcher :-]

thats the argument. that its actually better NOT to start him because he's lowering your average.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Fri May 09, 2008 9:33 am

I'm going to look into this further today by using the 2007 total stats accumulated in the 20 team league and the 26th-35th best C in 2007. If I have time, I'll try to use a few years instead of just 07.

I know it won't be perfect but at least give you an idea as to how much those lower ranked C's actually help you (or hurt you). Should be interesting.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Matthias » Fri May 09, 2008 11:05 am

Snakes Gould wrote:im confused as to why it would be "illegal"? if theres a rule forbidding it, then somewhere along the way someone thought it would be advantageous to do this. i do not think so, but i guess in super deep leagues, i could see the argument.

"Illegal" is an imprecise term. I'm sure what BigH0rt means is it would be, in his leagues, an "invalid" lineup and wouldn't accumulate points.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby great gretzky » Fri May 09, 2008 11:50 am

this deabte makes me wonder if it makes someone like napoli way more valuable. his other numbers are good, but not enough abs to hurt you. you miss games, but I think that could be a wash.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri May 09, 2008 12:01 pm

great gretzky wrote:this deabte makes me wonder if it makes someone like napoli way more valuable. his other numbers are good, but not enough abs to hurt you. you miss games, but I think that could be a wash.

I have Napoli one of my other teams and he's been a good sneak source to steal a HR or two. I think his HR rate a week is an aberration, but seeing how he platoons with Jeff Mathis, he's not murdering your average on a daily basis either.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby converge241 » Fri May 09, 2008 1:30 pm

regarding the debate about "illegal" or not

If a league has a Catching spot every team should have a Catcher on the roster no doubt. Certainly can bench the guy as long as you are maintaining the roster and not getting an unfair advantage by going no catcher and say adding a pitcher.

Happens more in football - I have seen the question asked many times about "Can't I just not have a Kicker or Defense?"
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 98)

Postby Sea Dog Fan » Fri May 09, 2008 2:16 pm

What if you picked up a back up catcher that rarely plays? That wouldn't be illegal and he wouldn't hurt your batting average because of limited at bats.

Personally, drafting is a catcher can be sketchy at times, but there aren't many catchers that bat for great averages. So far, I got lucky with Soto.
Sea Dog Fan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Snakes Gould » Fri May 09, 2008 3:47 pm

converge241 wrote:If a league has a Catching spot every team should have a Catcher on the roster no doubt. Certainly can bench the guy as long as you are maintaining the roster and not getting an unfair advantage by going no catcher and say adding a pitcher.

thats my original question. why is there an unfair advantage to having a pitcher and no catcher?

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bigh0rt » Fri May 09, 2008 4:08 pm

Matthias wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:im confused as to why it would be "illegal"? if theres a rule forbidding it, then somewhere along the way someone thought it would be advantageous to do this. i do not think so, but i guess in super deep leagues, i could see the argument.

"Illegal" is an imprecise term. I'm sure what BigH0rt means is it would be, in his leagues, an "invalid" lineup and wouldn't accumulate points.

I said it in an earlier post, but I'll say it again. The term is just 'illegal roster' -- though the concrete definition may not mirror that of what is generally thought of as 'illegal'. For example, I play in a league on FanStar, and if I were to submit a roster for the week (weekly lineups) with nobody in the C spot, it would auto-send me an e-mail, saying that I submitted an illegal roster, and to re-submit with a legal roster. If I didn't, as Matthias said, I would not accumulate points. Similar rules/guidelines apply to even the Yahoo! leagues I am in.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 360)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers