Starting No Catcher? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Starting No Catcher?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Starting No Catcher?

Postby bigh0rt » Wed May 07, 2008 11:00 pm

NZ Eff wrote:
Dreamscape wrote:Just figured I would try this. It's not a loophole, but strategy. If it fails, it fails. But I think there is a chance it'll succeed so might as well ride it out. I had a catcher who was helping me minimally in three cats, hurting me in one significantly. His help was not improving my club. I don't feel like trading for another catcher unless he's elite so I might as well solidify my bench with a player that might help me in the UTIL spot win games.

Maybe Kurt Suzuki would help. But might as well see if this works. It's interesting that those who try it seem to think it could work and those who wouldn't say it can't work.

:-? Kurt Suzuki is available and you have a vacant catcher spot. That defies belief. I tell you right now that no way Suzuki will hurt you any more than having no catcher. I would say without a doubt he will add value to your roster if you start him. He's hitting .283. I doubt your team avg. is better than that and you get a free 12 rbi and 19 runs plus a SB already this season to add onto your stats.

Man, I honestly can't believe we're having this discussion. It's a total no brainer.

In a roto league, the possibility of carrying no catcher and losing 1 point in R and RBi respectively, and 0 in HR is reasonable. It is also possible to gain, let's say, 3 points in AVG by starting no Catcher. In this scenario, which may not be the majority, or even probable (I'm just considering the possibility), the net gain is 1 point. I don't think it's too far fetched, so I understand why it is up for discussion. It'll never be an issue for me though, because as I said, in my leagues it'd be considered an illegal roster, and even if it wasn't, I wouldn't do it, because like you, I think you run a greater risk of hurting your team than helping, despite it not necessarily always being the case.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby NZ Eff » Wed May 07, 2008 11:26 pm

Well of course it's not always going to be the case but in fantasy you play the percentages for the best chance at success. Having a catcher in your starting roster to potentially help 4 cats and hurt 1 is playing the %'s to your best advantage.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Matchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu May 08, 2008 12:26 am

im confused as to why it would be "illegal"? if theres a rule forbidding it, then somewhere along the way someone thought it would be advantageous to do this. i do not think so, but i guess in super deep leagues, i could see the argument.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby NZ Eff » Thu May 08, 2008 1:36 am

Quick. Pick up Yadier Moilina for his start tomorrow afternoon against an ordinary leftie starter.
He WILL definitely add value for you on your roster.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby NZ Eff » Thu May 08, 2008 10:07 pm

Molina 2/4 with an RBI.

The majority of cases you just can't lose by adding a catcher to a vacant slot, even if he's terrible.

Matt Treanor just hit a 3 run shot for the Marlins. I doubt he's owned in 1% of leagues yet those stats alone could win a team a H2H matchup for the week.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yanks_Baby » Thu May 08, 2008 10:18 pm

I really don't see this as helping unless there's somne really good FA's out there that make it worth only getting a few starts and losing a catcher. Maybe for hot streak players. Like Cust or someone. Who you can ride the hot stereak, and drop for your ccher asgain. Tat makes sense, but I'm not sure.

Makes more sense in H2H thean in Roto IMO.
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Yanks_Baby » Thu May 08, 2008 10:19 pm

NZ Eff wrote:
Dreamscape wrote:Never know until you try it, I guess. There is merits to start a catcher, but if you only have crappy choices, there is also merits to not starting one. To say it's black and white lacks much objectivity. I'm in a friendly league from a Braves forum where it's just for fun. Seems like a perfect place to give it a try and see how it works.

Actually it is black and white. If you don't start a catcher it can only potentially help you in 1 category. If you do start one it helps you in at least 4. No grey area at all. It's stupidity to even attempt it even in a 20 team league.

Ypou fail to take into account the Free Agent you'll pick up for dropping your catcher who could help you out in the other 4 cats AND AVG.
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yanks_Baby » Thu May 08, 2008 10:26 pm

Upon thinking about this more, this strategy seems most useful in picking up pitchers, not back up position players, like lowell. You can't start Aram and Lowell at the same timer, so uyou will lose production by dropping a catcher, however you can start multiple pitchers at once, and will get the pitchers full use when you add him. And i nthat case ,you're not gainig one cat and losing 4. You're gainin g 6 cats. AVG and 5 pitching cats. In that instance it seems a viable option.

Just something to think about.
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu May 08, 2008 10:28 pm

Yanks_Baby wrote:
NZ Eff wrote:
Dreamscape wrote:Never know until you try it, I guess. There is merits to start a catcher, but if you only have crappy choices, there is also merits to not starting one. To say it's black and white lacks much objectivity. I'm in a friendly league from a Braves forum where it's just for fun. Seems like a perfect place to give it a try and see how it works.

Actually it is black and white. If you don't start a catcher it can only potentially help you in 1 category. If you do start one it helps you in at least 4. No grey area at all. It's stupidity to even attempt it even in a 20 team league.

Ypou fail to take into account the Free Agent you'll pick up for dropping your catcher who could help you out in the other 4 cats AND AVG.

right, but if hes on the bench, then there's no extra value.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Yanks_Baby » Thu May 08, 2008 10:30 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:
Yanks_Baby wrote:
NZ Eff wrote:Ypou fail to take into account the Free Agent you'll pick up for dropping your catcher who could help you out in the other 4 cats AND AVG.

right, but if hes on the bench, then there's no extra value.

That's very true. In Yoda's case, I don't get why he doesn't just start his catcher to be honest. Benching your Catchger DEFINITELY causues a loss of productivity.
Yanks_Baby
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers