Starting No Catcher? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Starting No Catcher?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Starting No Catcher?

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Wed May 07, 2008 6:29 pm

Yoda wrote:
Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:My league isn't that far off of yours, Yoda; we have 16 teams, so if your catcher goes down, you may end up putting in some lame backup. And clearly as commish I'm not going to come down on someone for putting in the best available to them, no matter how much they suck. I've had managers say, "But I don't liiiiiike any of the catchers out there!" To which I say, "Me either. Perhaps you should have drafted another. Or perhaps you should trade for one. Or perhaps this will be the reason you lose at the end of the year. But the rules apply to each owner: try to start someone at each position and play the game."

It isn't black and white. People tank in various ways. If I see someone doing something fishy, I'll talk to them and try to figure out what they're doing.

I actually posted a note on the league board to see if anyone has a problem with what I am doing. If someone has a big problem with it then I will obviously not do it.

I also started looking at the waivers and will offer some trades this week so hopefully I can get someone viable in there.

Oh, I definitely wasn't intending to criticize your league or approach, or suggest you are doing anything wrong. Our league has a rule in place that seems to fit our collective mindset. If your league has no such rule, then you're probably fine as is. At worst, perhaps your league has an interesting discussion to have in the offseason. I was mostly just providing another view on the subject.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 60)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Cow » Wed May 07, 2008 6:30 pm

I have gone without a C in the past, but only for maybe a week. I do it when I have a terrible C or even 2B and I see someone, perhaps, a closer on the wire that i want. I do this when my roster is full of players I do not want to cut,basically it buys me time until I can make room on the roster. I would not want to go a whole year without a C, not a winning strategy. Also i have no problem if someone chooses to not start a C. I mean a lot of teams do not have middle relievers and they play virtually everyday. If there is not a rule against not starting a C and there should not be, then there is nothing to complain about.

The Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby NZ Eff » Wed May 07, 2008 6:32 pm

Dreamscape wrote:Just figured I would try this. It's not a loophole, but strategy. If it fails, it fails. But I think there is a chance it'll succeed so might as well ride it out. I had a catcher who was helping me minimally in three cats, hurting me in one significantly. His help was not improving my club. I don't feel like trading for another catcher unless he's elite so I might as well solidify my bench with a player that might help me in the UTIL spot win games.

Maybe Kurt Suzuki would help. But might as well see if this works. It's interesting that those who try it seem to think it could work and those who wouldn't say it can't work.

:-? Kurt Suzuki is available and you have a vacant catcher spot. That defies belief. I tell you right now that no way Suzuki will hurt you any more than having no catcher. I would say without a doubt he will add value to your roster if you start him. He's hitting .283. I doubt your team avg. is better than that and you get a free 12 rbi and 19 runs plus a SB already this season to add onto your stats.

Man, I honestly can't believe we're having this discussion. It's a total no brainer.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Matchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby Yoda » Wed May 07, 2008 6:35 pm

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:
Yoda wrote:
Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:My league isn't that far off of yours, Yoda; we have 16 teams, so if your catcher goes down, you may end up putting in some lame backup. And clearly as commish I'm not going to come down on someone for putting in the best available to them, no matter how much they suck. I've had managers say, "But I don't liiiiiike any of the catchers out there!" To which I say, "Me either. Perhaps you should have drafted another. Or perhaps you should trade for one. Or perhaps this will be the reason you lose at the end of the year. But the rules apply to each owner: try to start someone at each position and play the game."

It isn't black and white. People tank in various ways. If I see someone doing something fishy, I'll talk to them and try to figure out what they're doing.

I actually posted a note on the league board to see if anyone has a problem with what I am doing. If someone has a big problem with it then I will obviously not do it.

I also started looking at the waivers and will offer some trades this week so hopefully I can get someone viable in there.

Oh, I definitely wasn't intending to criticize your league or approach, or suggest you are doing anything wrong. Our league has a rule in place that seems to fit our collective mindset. If your league has no such rule, then you're probably fine as is. At worst, perhaps your league has an interesting discussion to have in the offseason. I was mostly just providing another view on the subject.

It is a fairly competitive league with fantasy magazine editors and people take it pretty seriously (winner writes an article for next year's mag). So I posted a note on the board as soon as I put my C on the bench. If anything, I think more people will attempt to trade me what they have as I have other pieces as well.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Yoda » Wed May 07, 2008 6:37 pm

The Cow wrote:I have gone without a C in the past, but only for maybe a week. I do it when I have a terrible C or even 2B and I see someone, perhaps, a closer on the wire that i want. I do this when my roster is full of players I do not want to cut,basically it buys me time until I can make room on the roster. I would not want to go a whole year without a C, not a winning strategy. Also i have no problem if someone chooses to not start a C. I mean a lot of teams do not have middle relievers and they play virtually everyday. If there is not a rule against not starting a C and there should not be, then there is nothing to complain about.

The Cow

Yep this is my strategy. Bench for now, wait out the slump and also see if I can acquire another C while not getting pummeled in AVG.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby NZ Eff » Wed May 07, 2008 6:52 pm

Yoda wrote:
The Cow wrote:I have gone without a C in the past, but only for maybe a week. I do it when I have a terrible C or even 2B and I see someone, perhaps, a closer on the wire that i want. I do this when my roster is full of players I do not want to cut,basically it buys me time until I can make room on the roster. I would not want to go a whole year without a C, not a winning strategy. Also i have no problem if someone chooses to not start a C. I mean a lot of teams do not have middle relievers and they play virtually everyday. If there is not a rule against not starting a C and there should not be, then there is nothing to complain about.

The Cow

Yep this is my strategy. Bench for now, wait out the slump and also see if I can acquire another C while not getting pummeled in AVG.

What catchers are available in FA?
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Wed May 07, 2008 7:01 pm

NZ Eff wrote:
Yoda wrote:

The Cow

What catchers are available in FA?

Well, this is a weekly add/drop league and I just put in a claim for Kendall and Yadier. Both were dropped on Sunday apparently and if I get one, then I should be ok between them and Towles (dropping Jerry Owens). Will find out Sunday.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby NZ Eff » Wed May 07, 2008 7:05 pm

Molina would be a great choice. No way he would not add positive value to anyones team in May.
Last edited by NZ Eff on Wed May 07, 2008 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Wed May 07, 2008 7:07 pm

NZ Eff wrote:Molina would be a great choice. No way he would not add value positive value to anyones team in May.

Yeah I didn't even realize he was out there. I don't think anyone else is looking for a C.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby great gretzky » Wed May 07, 2008 9:01 pm

hmmm, there would be a reason to not start a C even though you "can only gain in one category." I have been in roto leagues where having an available roster spot was more advantageous than the minimal impact of the catcher. Although, i should say this was for down the stretch. Depending on where your stat levels are, I can totally see a reason beyond pure production where someone might feel the roster spot taken by the catcher might be better applied elsewhere.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers