MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Anyone giving up on Swisher?

Postby ab » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:44 am

I've been close to dropping him, but here is a bit of encouragement to keep him:

Swisher's slash stats from June/July '06 -
June: .204/.342/.337
July: .188/.310/.306

2006 is the year he hit 35 hr with a .372 obp. What it comes down to with Swish is, I think you have to take bad months with the good. Give him another month. If his obp and slg are below .300 again this month, dump him onto the Andruw Jones trash pile.

*edit*
If Ozzie buries him and starts playing Brian Anderson, ignore everything I just said...
ab
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby freeling_prideful » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:42 am

ab wrote:I've been close to dropping him, but here is a bit of encouragement to keep him:

Swisher's slash stats from June/July '06 -
June: .204/.342/.337
July: .188/.310/.306

2006 is the year he hit 35 hr with a .372 obp. What it comes down to with Swish is, I think you have to take bad months with the good. Give him another month. If his obp and slg are below .300 again this month, dump him onto the Andruw Jones trash pile.

*edit*
If Ozzie buries him and starts playing Brian Anderson, ignore everything I just said...

Haha, you know that's actually even more discouraging in a way, b/c it tells us that Swisher's worst months of the season are actually coming up. His career splits on OPS my month go: April 851, May 829, June 706, July 806, August 770, September 865.

He seems to have a tendency to swoon in the middle of the summer--even in July, when he manages to OPS above 800, his average is 227 and his slugging is a mediocre 450, so the only reason for the good OPS is walking.

Maybe buy him at the trade deadline and then wait until September to play him?
freeling_prideful
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby MasterX1918 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:09 pm

To expand on my previous post, my team had Paul Konerko (who I picked up in exchange for Billy Butler), Jim Thome (who I dropped) and Nick Swisher (who I dropped).
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Old_Style » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:31 pm

Here's hoping Ozzie finds a nice spot on the bench for Swish.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ab » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:36 pm

Alright, you guys JUST about convinced me to drop Swish. I was *this* close to pushing the button today, and I thought I'd take a quick look at his fangraphs page:

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?pl ... osition=OF

Do you guys realize his LD% is as high as its ever been in his career right now? The problems are that his HR/FB are extremely low, and his BABIP sucks. Those are two MAJOR indicators of luck. His K/BB #s are right where they should be. His IFFB% is right where it should be, so he's not hitting a bunch more week popups or anything.

If he continues to get playing time (hopefully Kenny Williams sets Ozzie straight), these numbers HAVE to change. I may be the only person crazy enough to believe it, but I can't argue with the numbers.
ab
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:42 pm

They really need to call someone up. They need a breath of fresh air for the offense to wake up. They don't have a Jay Bruce in their system but anyone new might be able to spark their offense.

Oh and Swisher stinks.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby urbanbreez » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:16 pm

Anyone giving up on Swisher? Humph O.o Yeah, like about a month ago. :^
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby activechamp2006 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:53 pm

Swisher is stuck in the same rut as the rest of the team. I think there is a chance he busts out of it and is some what successful the rest of the season. A slim chance. The Sox need to make some moves, rejuvenate that talented lineup.
activechamp2006
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Snakes Gould » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:36 pm

ab wrote:Alright, you guys JUST about convinced me to drop Swish. I was *this* close to pushing the button today, and I thought I'd take a quick look at his fangraphs page:

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?pl ... osition=OF

Do you guys realize his LD% is as high as its ever been in his career right now? The problems are that his HR/FB are extremely low, and his BABIP sucks. Those are two MAJOR indicators of luck. His K/BB #s are right where they should be. His IFFB% is right where it should be, so he's not hitting a bunch more week popups or anything.

If he continues to get playing time (hopefully Kenny Williams sets Ozzie straight), these numbers HAVE to change. I may be the only person crazy enough to believe it, but I can't argue with the numbers.

all that is fine and good but you're forgetting one thing. NO ONE in your league will want him right now. so drop him, ride a hot bat (cust, werth, whoever is the flavor of the week) and if you see any signs of his avg even touching .220, then you can pick him back up.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers