Matt LaPorta - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Matt LaPorta

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Matt LaPorta

Postby Scooter1027 » Wed May 07, 2008 3:51 pm

jlm53089 wrote:One big slow OF.

I like LaPorta since he was at UF, I hope he succeeds and if the Brew Crew cannot find a spot for him, he could come to Tampa and play for Pena after Penas time is gone.

Slow? No, not slow. Hart is the fastest guy on the team and Braun's not far behind. LaPorta isn't too quick, but the other two are. I would worry a bit about their defense (although Braun has looked surprisingly good to me), but not because of their speed.

Another guy who is making Southern league pitching look absolutely silly is LaPorta's teammate, 22 year old 3B Mat Gamel. The 2005 4th rounder is hitting .364/.432/.614 with 8 2B, 5 3B, 5 HR. This is supposed to be a pitcher's league, and these 2 are outclassing anything that the likes of Prince Fielder and Rickie Weeks could accomplish there (so far anyway). I'm not sure where Gamel fits in because they're not sure he'll stick at 3B, but he's definitely a hitter to keep an eye on. Could end up being trade bait.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Inukchuk » Wed May 07, 2008 4:29 pm

Wouldn't it make more sense to bring Laporta up to AAA than the big club? I know it's been done before, but I'd like to see if he can mash at AAA the way he's been killing AA pitching first...
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby Scooter1027 » Wed May 07, 2008 6:11 pm

Inukchuk wrote:Wouldn't it make more sense to bring Laporta up to AAA than the big club? I know it's been done before, but I'd like to see if he can mash at AAA the way he's been killing AA pitching first...

Oh, I agree. I don't think we'll see LaPorta up for more than a September call up, or maybe possibly to DH during interleague games like the Crew did with Fielder a few years back. I think after some more destruction of AA he'll see AAA. With Cameron's contract only being one year guaranteed, LaPorta could be starting in the MIL OF in 2009.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Sea Dog Fan » Wed May 07, 2008 7:33 pm

Inukchuk wrote:Wouldn't it make more sense to bring Laporta up to AAA than the big club? I know it's been done before, but I'd like to see if he can mash at AAA the way he's been killing AA pitching first...

Personally, AAA isn't that big of a leap from AA. AA is where most of the talent is, AAA is full of AAAA guys. A lot of players skip AAA, but I don't think LaPorta really has a choice this year. He's blocked everywhere.
Sea Dog Fan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby hybrid » Thu May 08, 2008 12:08 am

Braun, Hart, & Laporta? Note to self, never draft a Brewers pitcher in the near future. :-P ;-7
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby seniorpaul » Fri May 09, 2008 9:14 am

hybrid wrote:Braun, Hart, & Laporta? Note to self, never draft a Brewers pitcher in the near future. :-P ;-7

Is Hart really a liability in the feild? From what i've seen, he appears to be an average defender. He probably won't be winning any gold gloves, but he seems decent. And Braun seems to be getting comfortable with his new position.
seniorpaul
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Y`s Guy » Fri May 09, 2008 10:17 am

If a kid gets called up to the Show he is then making big league money. If he gets sent down does he maintain those paychecks due to union rules? Or does he go back to minor league money?
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 275)
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Postby RAmst23 » Fri May 09, 2008 10:18 am

Sea Dog Fan wrote:

Personally, AAA isn't that big of a leap from AA. AA is where most of the talent is, AAA is full of AAAA guys. A lot of players skip AAA, but I don't think LaPorta really has a choice this year. He's blocked everywhere.

Personally? You've played in AAA ball? :-?
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Inukchuk » Fri May 09, 2008 10:52 am

RAmst23 wrote:
Sea Dog Fan wrote:

Personally? You've played in AAA ball? :-?

Yeah, my head hurts after reading that one...

If my logic professor in college was right, I would think that AAA is actually full of AAA guys, no? :-?

Finally, while "a lot of guys skip AAA," most do not.
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby Yoda » Fri May 09, 2008 11:03 am

While a lot of teams have their top talents skip AAA, MIL historically has not. I do like the idea of seeing what a kid can do at every level though.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers