Matt LaPorta - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Matt LaPorta

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Matt LaPorta

Postby hett2333 » Wed May 07, 2008 7:02 am

Does this guy really need to spend the entire year in the minors taking softball batting practice? Through last nights game
AVG G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB CS OBP SLG OPS
.342 31 111 28 38 10 1 10 36 80 16 19 0 0 .436 721 1.157

If he keeps hitting at this rate, any thoughts on LaPorta forcing someone out of their spot this year? Hall, Hart, etc? I just don't see the point in the Brewers wasting this kind of potential collecting video game stats in Huntsville.
hett2333
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Matt LaPorta

Postby jdsun1 » Wed May 07, 2008 7:42 am

hett2333 wrote:Does this guy really need to spend the entire year in the minors taking softball batting practice? Through last nights game
AVG G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB CS OBP SLG OPS
.342 31 111 28 38 10 1 10 36 80 16 19 0 0 .436 721 1.157

If he keeps hitting at this rate, any thoughts on LaPorta forcing someone out of their spot this year? Hall, Hart, etc? I just don't see the point in the Brewers wasting this kind of potential collecting video game stats in Huntsville.

I think he is there more for defenseive purposes more than anything, but blowing my waiver on scherzer I think Im happy he is still there right now. Personally Id like to see hall get bounced and then move Braun back to 3B.
jdsun1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed May 07, 2008 9:08 am

jdsun1 wrote: Personally Id like to see hall get bounced and then move Braun back to 3B.

The Brewers can't handle 162 games of Braun at 3rd base defensively. All of the good things he can do at the plate would be wiped out on the defensive side. As far as LaPorta goes though, there is not a spot for him in Milwaukee with Fielder, Braun, and Hart already locked into spots, so you may see him become trade bait later in this year or this offseason to upgrade a weaker area for the Brewers.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Havok1517 » Wed May 07, 2008 9:14 am

raiders_umpire wrote:
jdsun1 wrote: Personally Id like to see hall get bounced and then move Braun back to 3B.

The Brewers can't handle 162 games of Braun at 3rd base defensively. All of the good things he can do at the plate would be wiped out on the defensive side. As far as LaPorta goes though, there is not a spot for him in Milwaukee with Fielder, Braun, and Hart already locked into spots, so you may see him become trade bait later in this year or this offseason to upgrade a weaker area for the Brewers.

Cameron is only signed through this year. Expect Hart to move to CF while Bruan & LaPorta will play RF & LF.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 109)

Postby The Cow » Wed May 07, 2008 9:15 am

The Brewers OF is crowded. Braun in LF, Hart in RF both of those guys are safe. Then you have Cameron in CF his job is secure. On the bench you have a hot Gabe Kaplar and is Tony Gwynn Jr. still with the big club? If LaPorta could play CF then maybe he could displace Cameron, but LaPorta is not a CF I believe. Hart still only has one HR, but is hitting over .300. I do not see Braun being moved back to 3B, he is actually turning into a pretty good defensive LF, no way they put him back at 3B he just is not talented enough with the glove. Often when there is a log jam at a position one guy learns to play 1B, but the Brewers have Fielder, so no need there. I guess its times like these when the Brewers wish they were back in the A.L., that way they could DH a LaPorta. What the Brewers could do is trade a Hart or LaPorta for a closer, I suppose since that looks to be their biggest need or perhaps a SP with Gallardo out.

The Cow

P.S. One other option is Hart to CF, I figure he could be about as good as Nick Swisher, that would open up a spot for LaPorta. Cameron is not in the long term plans, but he has a nice glove.
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby clevername » Wed May 07, 2008 10:42 am

Havok1517 wrote:
raiders_umpire wrote:

Cameron is only signed through this year. Expect Hart to move to CF while Bruan & LaPorta will play RF & LF.

that would be a not too shabby offensive outfield.
When you are a man, sometimes you wear stretchy pants in your room...is for fun.
clevername
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 11)

Postby Yoda » Wed May 07, 2008 10:50 am

clevername wrote:Expect Hart to move to CF while Bruan & LaPorta will play RF & LF.

that would be a not too shabby offensive outfield.[/quote]

In terms of offense, it looks good but defensively that would be one poor OF.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby jlm53089 » Wed May 07, 2008 11:49 am

Yoda wrote:
clevername wrote:Expect Hart to move to CF while Bruan & LaPorta will play RF & LF.

In terms of offense, it looks good but defensively that would be one poor OF.[/quote]

One big slow OF.

I like LaPorta since he was at UF, I hope he succeeds and if the Brew Crew cannot find a spot for him, he could come to Tampa and play for Pena after Penas time is gone. ;-D
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby RAmst23 » Wed May 07, 2008 12:35 pm

Braun could still improve in LF, but that OF will tax your pitching staff. An error on the IF usually means one base, and OFer mistake can turn into an extra 2-3 bases. Be interesting if that much offense could make up for poor defensive play.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Sea Dog Fan » Wed May 07, 2008 12:43 pm

jlm53089 wrote:
Yoda wrote:

In terms of offense, it looks good but defensively that would be one poor OF.

One big slow OF.

I like LaPorta since he was at UF, I hope he succeeds and if the Brew Crew cannot find a spot for him, he could come to Tampa and play for Pena after Penas time is gone. ;-D[/quote]

No! :-t

You guys have enough young talent, I'm cutting you off.

LaPorta is a beast and will probably be a top five prospect going into next year. I doubt Braun goes back to third because he's awful defensively.

On a related note, the Red Sox should've signed him.
Sea Dog Fan
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers