Rafael Soriano - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Rafael Soriano

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rafael Soriano

Postby krunchyfrogg » Tue May 06, 2008 6:34 pm

Will he be a closer when he gets off the DL? Or will John Smoltz be handed that role?

He's on my DL right now, but my commish only gave us 1 DL slot. If anybody else gets hurt on my team I might just drop Soriano outright if he's lost his job.
Looking forward to back to back championships in 2011!
krunchyfrogg
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rafael Soriano

Postby DbacksRback » Tue May 06, 2008 7:48 pm

Acosta has not looked like the answer so i think he will have the job whenhe comes back but when he comes back is the question. Id hold onto him as long as u can but dont make a dumb move

DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Postby Siddo4ty4 » Tue May 06, 2008 7:51 pm

krunchyfrogg wrote:Will he be a closer when he gets off the DL? Or will John Smoltz be handed that role?

He's on my DL right now, but my commish only gave us 1 DL slot. If anybody else gets hurt on my team I might just drop Soriano outright if he's lost his job.

Yeah, He'll officially lose the Closer role once Smoltz comes back healthy. This sucks for Soriano owners as he will move to the set up role. Dont even consider Acosta or Moylan.

He will get a few save chances before Smoltz comes back fully though.
Siddo4ty4
College Coach
College Coach

Postby livinginarizona » Tue May 06, 2008 9:02 pm

Also remember that Mike Gonzalez is scheduled to return this month. Gonzalez might take over Acosta's spot if Soriano doesnt return before MGonz does......
livinginarizona Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Ryno23 » Wed May 07, 2008 11:13 am

Rotowire:

May 6 Soriano (elbow) felt soreness after a throwing session on Tuesday and will undergo an MRI, the team's official web site reports. "It just hasn't seemed to improve much," Braves general manager Frank Wren said. "It's a lingering issue that we want to get to the bottom of. It had seemed to be getting better."

Recommendation: The news keeps getting worse for Soriano's fantasy value as there's now no timetable for his return and manager Bobby Cox has said the John Smoltz is likely to take over the closer role when he returns from the DL.

He's on my DL, for the time being, but if someone else gets hurt, he's getting the ziggy.
Ryno23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ha_jai » Thu May 08, 2008 5:33 pm

The MRI came back okay, so he should be back to closing in a week or so after a rehad assignment. Smoltz will be closing when he comes off the DL. However, I don't feel that you should drop Soriano as he will still have value unless you have viable options on the FA market. First, Smoltz will not be pitching back to back days (at least the first little while), so Soriano will have opportunities to close some games. Second (and this is the optimist in me talking as I have both Smoltz and Soriano), by mid season Smoltz might feel good enough to be back in a SP role particularly if the Braves starting rotation are not doing well either through bad outings or injuries. He is a gamer who will do whatever it takes to help the Braves especially in his last season. But of course, it all depends on the state of his arm. I am hopeful that Smoltz will end his career in a SP and doing well so that he will come full circle in his career. Started as a SP and ended as a SP.
ha_jai
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Y`s Guy » Fri May 09, 2008 10:33 am

Soriano was the CL that I had to have for 2007. Yeah, I am disappointed in him but still feel that Smoltz will not close. With a clean MRI I believe the Braves are lighting a fire under his butt.
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 277)
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Return to Injuries & Player Updates