Streaming pitchers... fair game? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Streaming pitchers... fair game?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Streaming pitchers... fair game?

Postby 5 » Wed May 07, 2008 1:02 pm

well here we go again...

streaming pitchers is like yahoo not having players available in their database

both really lame and both covered over and over and over.
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Wed May 07, 2008 1:10 pm

moochman wrote:It would allow me to concentrate on drafting bats and closers, then allow me to pick-up early seasons flavors of the week. That could lead to a stable staff for the rest of the season. This year I could have built a post-draft staff of:
Cliff Lee, Edinson Volquez, Jar-Jar Jurgins, Dana Eveland, Armando Galarraga, Greg Smith. Sure some, if not most, of these guys will fade into black...but there is the chance that a winning staff can be assembled.

Hmmm. I might just try it and see how it rolls.

That isn't exactly streaming. You should go with high risk/reward pitchers to round up your staff anyway so that you can pick up a few hot hands early in the season.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby moochman » Wed May 07, 2008 1:14 pm

Yoda wrote:
moochman wrote:It would allow me to concentrate on drafting bats and closers, then allow me to pick-up early seasons flavors of the week. That could lead to a stable staff for the rest of the season. This year I could have built a post-draft staff of:
Cliff Lee, Edinson Volquez, Jar-Jar Jurgins, Dana Eveland, Armando Galarraga, Greg Smith. Sure some, if not most, of these guys will fade into black...but there is the chance that a winning staff can be assembled.

That isn't exactly streaming. You should go with high risk/reward pitchers to round up your staff anyway so that you can pick up a few hot hands early in the season.

No, not streaming in the true sense I guess. But I have never seen anyone stream for a whole season and do much better than a middle of the road season. I just don't have anything against it. If that is how someone wants to compete, fair enough.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Matthias » Wed May 07, 2008 1:17 pm

moochman wrote:
Yoda wrote:Fantasy baseball is about accurately assessing baseball players skills and their future performance. There is no skill involved in picking up as many random pitchers as you possibly can.

I don't know that streaming eliminates skill. You still have to evaluate match-ups and trends.

The "skill" needed for this (assuming you just don't rely upon someone else's evaluations) is like predicting the closing price of a barrel of oil when the market opens versus predicting the price of oil for the close of September. It takes much more information and analysis to do the latter than the former.

moochman wrote:This year I could have built a post-draft staff of: Cliff Lee, Edinson Volquez, Jar-Jar Jurgins, Dana Eveland, Armando Galarraga, Greg Smith. Sure some, if not most, of these guys will fade into black...but there is the chance that a winning staff can be assembled.

If you were really streaming, you might have assembled that staff but then disassembled it the next day for Livan Hernandez, Brandon Backe, and Zach Duke. There's a difference between buy-and-sell and buy-and-hold.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Yoda » Wed May 07, 2008 1:31 pm

moochman wrote:
Yoda wrote:

No, not streaming in the true sense I guess. But I have never seen anyone stream for a whole season and do much better than a middle of the road season. I just don't have anything against it. If that is how someone wants to compete, fair enough.

In a weekly H2H, it makes a HUGE difference. Especially in a league that has 4 countable stats W, QS, K, SV. If you build your team in a way so that you have a lot of closers and then you can punt ERA/WHIP and have a very good chance to win all those 4 cats every week by picking up as many starters as possible.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers