Streaming pitchers... fair game? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Streaming pitchers... fair game?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Streaming pitchers... fair game?

Postby chris8 » Tue May 06, 2008 2:16 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
chipper wrote:A season long max moves really stops most of this.
Somewhere from 50-70 moves max will stop people from adding as many pitchers as they can each week, and/or adding players that they don't intend to use.

It's my first year in a H2H like this, but I'm thinking I'll want a decent # of moves left come playoff time.

I don't really like that option either cause then teams just save their moves and stream in the playoffs.

I believe Yahoo added a new feature this year that allows a commish to limit the amount of pickups you can have in a week. So it could be set at, say, 3, and the streamer who saves all his moves for the playoffs is limited in what he can do.

Of course, it sucks if you get 4 injuries in a given week, but that would be kind of unusual!
chris8
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 109)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Tue May 06, 2008 2:29 pm

As long as there is no rule set in place to prevent streaming, I think it is fair game. I think it is a cheesy way to win and I wouldn't play in a league that allows it.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby hot4tx » Tue May 06, 2008 2:45 pm

No owner will make any roster moves (including waiver claims, trade proposals, etc.) whose sole purpose is to hamper the play of other owners.

Again, this rule would be against adding then immediately dropping several players so they all end up on waivers and stuff like that. If it's ok for someone to add/drop the SPs just before they start then it's ok for everyone to do it. It's their choice as to which guys they want to start on their team. Maybe some you'll start depending on how your week is going, maybe some you won't. You're basically mini-streaming to defeat the streamer.

Since streaming really goes against the point of trying to assemble the best team to play against your opponent, I don't see how anyone blatantly abusing the rules to try to unbalance the league would have a problem with someone else doing it to try to stop them.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby abc11435 » Tue May 06, 2008 2:52 pm

hot4tx wrote:
No owner will make any roster moves (including waiver claims, trade proposals, etc.) whose sole purpose is to hamper the play of other owners.

Again, this rule would be against adding then immediately dropping several players so they all end up on waivers and stuff like that. If it's ok for someone to add/drop the SPs just before they start then it's ok for everyone to do it. It's their choice as to which guys they want to start on their team. Maybe some you'll start depending on how your week is going, maybe some you won't. You're basically mini-streaming to defeat the streamer.

Since streaming really goes against the point of trying to assemble the best team to play against your opponent, I don't see how anyone blatantly abusing the rules to try to unbalance the league would have a problem with someone else doing it to try to stop them.

Unless you are talking about another provider or if Yahoo has changed their rule, but I'm pretty sure players who are added and dropped in the same day go back to FA pool. Even though it says dropped to WW in the league page, but if you search for the player you will see him in FA instead.
abc11435
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 23)

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Tue May 06, 2008 3:02 pm

Why are there always threads railing against streaming? You knew what the league settings were before you joined. You knew what the league settings were before you drafted. You know the mechanics of the game, i.e. you have rosters and you can add and drop players. I can definitely see how people think it's cheap - they're thinking of their fantasy team as an actual baseball team. But it's not. If I want to use one or two of my bench spots to continually bring up pitchers from the FA list the way no MLB team does, so what? The game allows for that, and if you don't like it play in leagues that have settings that make it a worse strategy. The AL has the DH rule. Is that cheap? Should teams refuse to play a DH and bat the pitcher? They could do that. But they have the option to bat a much better offensive player instead of a pitcher, so every single team does it, because it's the best strategy. Now I'm not saying that streaming is the best strategy, but within the context of your league settings it can be a viable one, especially if your opponent doesn't do anything to counter it. If something is viable, people will use it. And if they do, either figure out how to beat them, start using the strategy yourself, or shut the hell up. Don't come over here (or worse, post on your league boards) and whine about it.
-Lane
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 48)

Postby LostInTheSauce » Tue May 06, 2008 3:04 pm

I am talking about a CBS H2H points league where this is completely within the rules. The whole format is a crapshoot luck fest from week to week. Why draft Johan Santana or Jake Peavy if you are going to sit him on your bench and start Shawn Chacon? Why not just eliminate pitchers from the draft and just draft hitting? Then everyone can stream from the whole pitching pool. The way I see it is if your going to pick up a bunch of bums. Your damn sure going to use your waiver spot to get him.
LostInTheSauce
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby pangbones » Tue May 06, 2008 3:12 pm

Of course it's fair game. Why wouldn't it be?? That's one of the drawbacks of daily transaction, H2H leagues. But one way to easily fix this is to charge for pickups. If someone wants to pay say $1 for each player they pickup, let them. Another way to combat this, is to use Losses as a category. I use this in my weekly H2H league. It helps offset the advantage of having more starts for a given week in a weekly league, and would really offset that in a daily league.
pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby interchange » Tue May 06, 2008 4:23 pm

pangbones wrote:Another way to combat this, is to use Losses as a category. I use this in my weekly H2H league. It helps offset the advantage of having more starts for a given week in a weekly league, and would really offset that in a daily league.

That sounds like the best option.

Also, other cats like HLD and SV are good to combat streamers because it gives them 2 extra categories they have to use roster spots to compete in.
Dominate is a verb. Dominant is an adjective.
interchange
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Matthias » Tue May 06, 2008 4:47 pm

I would refuse to play in a league where this is a possible tactic (it really isn't a strategy). And I feel for the OP because if you're a first-time commish, there's things that you honestly haven't thought of. But then all of a sudden your league is at the mercy of one douche bag who thinks he's being clever and that restricting what he's doing is unfair.

There are some things that I would be sympathetic to. But streaming is just asinine: you may as well forget everything about baseball and just throw some money into a pot and say, "whoever clicks this button the most, wins at the end of the season."

I would say the appropriate remedy is to create a new league, give everyone else the same rosters, put the streamer's guys onto a dead team, abandon the old league, and let the streamer take exactly as much glory as he deserves.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby modestninja » Tue May 06, 2008 5:18 pm

Other possible rule changes would be to change W to net wins (W-L) and/or K to K/9 or K/BB. Other ways to prevent this would be to make the player pool more shallow by either makeing it an only league or add more teams so that there are a lot fewer (if any starters available to stream). Otherwise instead of daily transactions make it weekly transactions or put a weekly ip limit on.

You really did this to yourself by Making 3 out of the 5 pitching categories counting stats. I don't blame the owner that's streaming at all. Especially if no one else is streaming, the optimal strategy to load up the offence in the draft and just bully the 3 counting pitching categories every week. If he's the only one doing this he's almost guaranteed to finish at or near the top (barring some really bad luck with his hitters).

The only way to fight this for the current season is to have a couple other owners start streaming pitchers and make everyone fight for those extra starts.
modestninja
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers