Streaming pitchers... fair game? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Streaming pitchers... fair game?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Streaming pitchers... fair game?

Postby hot4tx » Tue May 06, 2008 1:05 pm

jake_harv88 wrote:Next week? :-? Try next year.

Yeh, I actually meant to write next season. Interesting. Maybe I should lay off the crack before work? !+)
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hot4tx » Tue May 06, 2008 1:09 pm

Oh I'd also like to throw up that picking up a player for the sole reason of impeding another owner from picking them up is considered cheating by yahoo's rules. Unless you plan on actually streaming those pitchers yourself I wouldn't suggest this route...

If you pick up and immediately drop then, yes, that's against the rules. I was not advocating that.

But putting a player on your roster that you don't think you'll play because you don't want him to be in someone else's starting lineup is as fair game as the streaming itself. Otherwise you should be punished for any hitter that rides your bench because you're hoping they'll turn things around so you can get some value out of them. You're not planning on playing them, you just don't want anyone else to have them for free.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue May 06, 2008 1:22 pm

I think streaming is OK. If you find out by mid-week that you've lost serious ground in ERA and WHIP, really there's just one way to stay competitive or steal away a few pitching categories in playing a few matchups each day. Usually, when I stream, I'm really looking into playing the best matchups as much as possible, but of course there are some managers that stream in volume, not really caring about the matchups, just caring to log in those extra innings that can mean a win and some added K's resulting from that. Intent is hard to prove, much like trade collusion, and so I say it's fair game.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue May 06, 2008 1:22 pm

hot4tx wrote:
Oh I'd also like to throw up that picking up a player for the sole reason of impeding another owner from picking them up is considered cheating by yahoo's rules. Unless you plan on actually streaming those pitchers yourself I wouldn't suggest this route...

If you pick up and immediately drop then, yes, that's against the rules. I was not advocating that.

But putting a player on your roster that you don't think you'll play because you don't want him to be in someone else's starting lineup is as fair game as the streaming itself. Otherwise you should be punished for any hitter that rides your bench because you're hoping they'll turn things around so you can get some value out of them. You're not planning on playing them, you just don't want anyone else to have them for free.

Not according to Yahoo.
No owner will make any roster moves (including waiver claims, trade proposals, etc.) whose sole purpose is to hamper the play of other owners.

http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/baseba ... es-26.html
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 272)

Postby chipper » Tue May 06, 2008 1:23 pm

A season long max moves really stops most of this.
Somewhere from 50-70 moves max will stop people from adding as many pitchers as they can each week, and/or adding players that they don't intend to use.

It's my first year in a H2H like this, but I'm thinking I'll want a decent # of moves left come playoff time.
chipper
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue May 06, 2008 1:29 pm

chipper wrote:A season long max moves really stops most of this.
Somewhere from 50-70 moves max will stop people from adding as many pitchers as they can each week, and/or adding players that they don't intend to use.

It's my first year in a H2H like this, but I'm thinking I'll want a decent # of moves left come playoff time.

I don't really like that option either cause then teams just save their moves and stream in the playoffs.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 272)

Postby woodson_28 » Tue May 06, 2008 1:34 pm

chipper wrote:A season long max moves really stops most of this.

My friends and I are in our third year of a h2h league. The first year was won by an owner that streamed pitchers daily. By the end of the year, he had like 220+ moves. The next year we tried to fix this by putting a "max on transactions" - we picked 72 moves. The owner then performed under 10 moves all season (ending in like 5th place) and then when playoffs started, he began streaming pitchers again, using all of his unused transactions - which helped him win a second straight year.

We've tried to change the pitching categories, but in a 10 team league, there are just too many decent pitchers in FA to use daily. The only solution i see is a cap on Innings Pitched, but then the person may just wait until playoffs again to go crazy.
woodson_28
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jake_harv88 » Tue May 06, 2008 1:47 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
hot4tx wrote:

Not according to Yahoo.
No owner will make any roster moves (including waiver claims, trade proposals, etc.) whose sole purpose is to hamper the play of other owners.

http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/baseba ... es-26.html

Yeah either way its cheating dude. Funny side story someone in my money league last year posted something to the effect of "Picking up player X just so you couldn't even though I have no intention of starting him was a good idea". I promptly thanked him for openly admitting to cheating ;-D
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 24)

Postby tmlfan4ever » Tue May 06, 2008 1:57 pm

Fair Game. In a traditional 5x5 Roto, streaming pitchers helps K/W, but presents clear risks for ERA/WHIP. That seems pretty fair to me.
tmlfan4ever
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby abc11435 » Tue May 06, 2008 1:58 pm

Hmm if you can do it, everyone else in the league can do it, why wouldn't it be fair game?

Would it be cheating to "stream" hitters? I do it sometimes on Mondays and thursdays.
abc11435
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 23)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers