Advice on streaming pitchers please. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Advice on streaming pitchers please.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Advice on streaming pitchers please.

Postby Matthias » Wed May 07, 2008 12:50 pm

noseeum wrote:If I'm in a league, and it's continuing next year, and I'm not invited, I got kicked out. So I don't know what the heck you're talking about with this extension of value stuff. It's a real stretch.

If you're renting an apartment, and the lease comes up, and the LL says: "The rent is going up $1,000/month" you'd probably feel the same way, but it's just as legit as my idea above. In your example, both the things that you're deciding between already belong to you.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby noseeum » Wed May 07, 2008 1:17 pm

Matthias wrote:
noseeum wrote:If I'm in a league, and it's continuing next year, and I'm not invited, I got kicked out. So I don't know what the heck you're talking about with this extension of value stuff. It's a real stretch.

If you're renting an apartment, and the lease comes up, and the LL says: "The rent is going up $1,000/month" you'd probably feel the same way, but it's just as legit as my idea above. In your example, both the things that you're deciding between already belong to you.

Haha. That's priceless. How would I feel the same way? I signed a 1 year lease and it's up. After a year, we renegotiate. How does that compare to
"Hey friends, we're starting a fantasy league! You want in?
"Sure!"
"OK, here's the rules, daily trans and nothing but counting stats for pitchers."
"Sweet!"
[cut to week 4]
"Hey, what are you doing over there buddy? You've implemented a perfectly legal strategy of using daily transactions to maximize your counting stats for your pitchers. That's so not cool. Either stop or you can't play next year."
"Um, what?"
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Matthias » Wed May 07, 2008 1:26 pm

noseeum wrote:
Matthias wrote:

Haha. That's priceless. How would I feel the same way? I signed a 1 year lease and it's up. After a year, we renegotiate. How does that compare to
"Hey friends, we're starting a fantasy league! You want in?
"Sure!"
"OK, here's the rules, daily trans and nothing but counting stats for pitchers."
"Sweet!"
[cut to week 4]
"Hey, what are you doing over there buddy? You've implemented a perfectly legal strategy of using daily transactions to maximize your counting stats for your pitchers. That's so not cool. Either stop or you can't play next year."
"Um, what?"

"Hey, I have this apartment for rent!"
"Sweet! I've been looking for a place!"
"Ok, here's the standard lease."
"Hey, no problem. Done and done."
[cut to 3 months in]
"You know, the lease only says no dogs, but your pet mice keep getting out and scaring my wife."
"Oh yah, sorry about that. But it didn't say no mice in the lease."
"I know. And we're going to have our lawyer come up with a more comprehensive lease in the future. But for now, if you insist on keeping your mice, you're going to have to find a new place come September. She swears she can't sleep at night."
"Bummer."

The truth is many relationships, contracts, what have you are non-renewed because the parties find themselves as not being quite as good as friends as they initially envisioned they would be. So conditioning a future relationship upon a change in present behavior is pretty legit.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Motown Blues » Thu May 08, 2008 11:44 pm

"Hey, I have this apartment for rent!"
"Sweet! I've been looking for a place!"
"Ok, here's the standard lease."
"Hey, no problem. Done and done."
[cut to 3 months in]
"You know, the lease only says no dogs, but your pet mice keep getting out and scaring my wife."
"Oh yah, sorry about that. But it didn't say no mice in the lease."
"I know. And we're going to have our lawyer come up with a more comprehensive lease in the future. But for now, if you insist on keeping your mice, you're going to have to find a new place come September. She swears she can't sleep at night."
"Bummer."

The truth is many relationships, contracts, what have you are non-renewed because the parties find themselves as not being quite as good as friends as they initially envisioned they would be. So conditioning a future relationship upon a change in present behavior is pretty legit.

??

I totally disagree. The metaphor to begin with is silly. You're comparing competition to renting an apartment? Whatever. It's very simple: 1) there are rules in place. 2) managers draft, presumably aware of these rules. 3) managers play to win.

To think that a commissioner can simply adjust the rules mid-stream - perhaps because he has been out-witted by his own setup - is bogus. The rules must be adhered to, done. It doesn't matter that you don't LIKE streaming, which is what I think the core of the argument is. If a commish ain't cool with it, then enact rules for subsequent seasons.

And again, I ask the question...why do so many get into a snit about streaming, anyway? Not sportsmanlike? What?
Motown Blues
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Matthias » Fri May 09, 2008 8:37 am

Motown Blues wrote:??

I totally disagree. The metaphor to begin with is silly. You're comparing competition to renting an apartment? Whatever.

Read the whole thread. It makes sense in context.
Motown Blues wrote:It's very simple: 1) there are rules in place. 2) managers draft, presumably aware of these rules. 3) managers play to win.

To think that a commissioner can simply adjust the rules mid-stream - perhaps because he has been out-witted by his own setup - is bogus. The rules must be adhered to, done.

Fantasy baseball has the most ridiculous, bone-headed, neo-libertarian ideas that come from God knows where and this is one of them. If something comes up that wasn't anticipated and is messing with what was intended, you fix it, done.
Motown Blues wrote:And again, I ask the question...why do so many get into a snit about streaming, anyway? Not sportsmanlike? What?

Because it has nothing to do with what the rest of fantasy baseball does, primarily player evaluation and forecasting. It's simply an exercise in patience.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Motown Blues » Fri May 09, 2008 11:43 pm

Fantasy baseball has the most ridiculous, bone-headed, neo-libertarian ideas that come from God knows where and this is one of them...

Oh, stop that, Matthias.

This is too funny...I've never been accused of being a...what do they call it now...a "Republitarian?" But better yet, while posting on a FANTASY BASEBALL FORUM. :-b All right, I'll take the bait, Word-of-the-Week-Matthias. If you mean that some Fantasy Baseball managers are all about freewill (I can't believe I am actually addressing this), a desire to have many options, a push for the most personal freedom...umm, it's hard to say that ANYONE wouldn't want this as a fantasy baseball manager. Now, if you mean simply that we might want the least amount of regulation (by commish), I guess I would agree...but again, who wouldn't? So...what exactly do you mean? Does it have to do with our foreign policy views? I am all for diplomacy and human rights with the Japanese and Latin leagues, so maybe that's what you mean. Fighting the aggressor, by all means possible? I like to do that...but when does that happen, really :-?

Well, to clarify: all I am saying is that I personally go into leagues knowing the settings and assuming the Commissioner has already addressed what he wants. So I gameplan going in. You change it mid-season, and I lose respect for the commissioner. I take it as a commish who got out-witted. Changing it for next year, now that WOULD be an exercise in patience, but nonetheless the right thing to do. I don't find that bone-headed, Matthias, I find that reasonable.

(Careful, now, Matthias. You don't want your response to sound FASCIST. ;-D)
Motown Blues
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Matthias » Sat May 10, 2008 10:25 am

What I mean is this idea that once rules are set, they're set in stone. And there can be no idea of fixing a problem because one person may have sought to maximize value out of the brokenness. So the entire league is forced to plod along to an interminable end to placate the rights of one joker.

Incidentally, one of my favorite op-ed writers, Rosa Brooks, just wrote something similar about Hillary and America generally this week. Basically, her argument is that America is so interested in protecting people's "right" to do something that they completely lose sight of what the "right" thing to do is.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Commissioner's Corner