Why is Felix Hernandez so hittable? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why is Felix Hernandez so hittable?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Why is Felix Hernandez so hittable?

Postby pat189 » Mon May 05, 2008 11:28 pm

Batters are hitting .266 off of him, hit .281 last season, and .262 the year before.

What's the deal?
pat189
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Why is Felix Hernandez so hittable?

Postby J.C.Fighter » Mon May 05, 2008 11:31 pm

Those ground balls are finding holes. I saw his game on saturday vs the Yankee, and i can tell you that he wasn't hit hard at all.
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby pat189 » Tue May 06, 2008 12:40 am

J.C.Fighter wrote:Those ground balls are finding holes. I saw his game on saturday vs the Yankee, and i can tell you that he wasn't hit hard at all.

Yea, I saw that game too and he was definitely unlucky, but can every game be like that?

Felix just seems like kind of a whip killer..
pat189
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby anti elian » Tue May 06, 2008 1:15 am

He's had a really high BABIP the last two years and a GB% comparable to sinker ballers Webb and Wang. The numbers suggest theres a good deal of bad luck involved, but this seems like a trend and there must be an explanation.
anti elian
College Coach
College Coach

Postby CBMGreatOne » Tue May 06, 2008 1:24 am

Although his WHIP is a little high, his overall start is still pretty solid. You are looking at it in the context of his most recent performance being the worst. Just after his sixth start, you were looking at a 2.22 ERA and a 1.23 WHIP with a .238 BAA. Two weeks from now, his stats might be exactly that good again. One bad start doesn't change much and I think you're getting a bit unrealistic if you thought he would never get hit like he did against the Yankees or worse in any single game this year. I had CC last year and he had his ups and downs too. It's a big picture game.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 234)

Postby pat189 » Tue May 06, 2008 1:32 am

CBMGreatOne wrote:Although his WHIP is a little high, his overall start is still pretty solid. You are looking at it in the context of his most recent performance being the worst. Just after his sixth start, you were looking at a 2.22 ERA and a 1.23 WHIP with a .238 BAA. Two weeks from now, his stats might be exactly that good again. One bad start doesn't change much and I think you're getting a bit unrealistic if you thought he would never get hit like he did against the Yankees or worse in any single game this year. I had CC last year and he had his ups and downs too. It's a big picture game.

Hmm..I guess so, but he did have a high OBAA and WHIP the past 2 seasons also. It just confuses me since he has such great stuff, he is still super young though..that can be forgotten since he's been around for awhile now. Forget he's like 2 years younger than Lincecum
pat189
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Ender » Tue May 06, 2008 8:17 am

GB pitchers generally give up higher BABIP. Pitchers who get behind in the count a lot tend to have higher BABIP as well. Most like a combination of those two things are to blame.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 451)

Postby Cyclone177 » Tue May 06, 2008 11:53 am

I have him and have watched a few games this year, it seems like the M's infield is bad to me. Lots of balls that could have had plays made, and they just don't throw the ball, missed DP's, and just plain bad positioning where balls find holes. He has looked awesome in the games I have watched.
Cyclone177
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ab » Tue May 06, 2008 12:42 pm

Besides Beltre, that's a pretty bad infield defense. The guys surrounding Ichiro are no great shakes either. He's always had a good gb/fb ratio, so it's definitely not that he's throwing meatballs up there.
ab
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers