BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 58)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Ozzie The Idiot

Postby TonyCee » Mon May 05, 2008 10:15 pm

Sure he doesn't come across the greatest but he is right and the guy is kind of a genius, he just put the media on him, took the pressure off his team and fired them up at the same time, I'm not a big fan Ozzie fan, don't care for him and maybe one day he'll lose his job because of it but the guy is amusing to watch, lol.
TonyCee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jfg » Mon May 05, 2008 10:22 pm

Doesn't matter if he's right, you don't talk like that about your fans. If I were Williams tonight would have been his last game. I'm so sick of this guy.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 97)

Postby Old_Style » Mon May 05, 2008 10:26 pm

TonyCee wrote:Sure he doesn't come across the greatest but he is right and the guy is kind of a genius, he just put the media on him, took the pressure off his team and fired them up at the same time, I'm not a big fan Ozzie fan, don't care for him and maybe one day he'll lose his job because of it but the guy is amusing to watch, lol.

I don't know about him being a genius or firing his team up. I do like the fact that he puts the blame on himself and not the players, although most of the blame should go in that direction.
Ozzie is one of the loosest managers in the big leagues, and is pretty much like one of the guys in the dugout. I like that about him.

I can't wait for the year end, Guillen/Piniella interview montages. :-D
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby hwiggen » Mon May 05, 2008 10:45 pm

I like Ozzie a lot. He manages by the situation and how players are performing rather than by formula and he's good at it. That style is not for everyone, of course, and there are numbers guys (LaRussa comes to mind) who are great with their style.
And Ozzie is a likeable guy; his personality let's him get away with the profanity and the outbursts. To many of us he comes across as entertaining, a little crazy but in a fun way. And for better or worse, he comes across as honest which is part of what makes him likeable.
He's a throwback manager, really...Earl Weaver comes to mind.
As for Williams firing Ozzie, I think Williams should be much closer to being fired. Garland for a 30+ year old rent-a-SS, promising young pitching for Steve Swisher's son? And Kenny Williams is a loose canon as well as Ozzie, he's just not around the media as often.
Either way, Jerry Reinsdorf is well known for his loyalty to his executives (but certainly not his pitchers) so I think Ozzie and Kenny will be in Chicago for quite a while.
hwiggen
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby tmlfan4ever » Mon May 05, 2008 10:49 pm

He's an idiot for stating facts? I agree with everything he said.
tmlfan4ever
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jfg » Mon May 05, 2008 10:50 pm

Yeah, I know. I'm just not a big fan of anybody calling out a city who supports you. Nobody but sports figures can get away with that and they shouldn't be allowed to. I know sports figures get a pass on most things and that's something I can deal with. But, to curse your fans out is not right. The media can deal with it and it gives them a good story. All the fans get is a bitter taste in their mouth. I'd never allow my manager to get away with that. Maybe I'm reading it out of context.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 97)

Postby Old_Style » Mon May 05, 2008 11:05 pm

jfg wrote:Yeah, I know. I'm just not a big fan of anybody calling out a city who supports you. Nobody but sports figures can get away with that and they shouldn't be allowed to. I know sports figures get a pass on most things and that's something I can deal with. But, to curse your fans out is not right. The media can deal with it and it gives them a good story. All the fans get is a bitter taste in their mouth. I'd never allow my manager to get away with that. Maybe I'm reading it out of context.

The only quotes in that interview that I looked at as being towards the Sox fans, were the parts about the Sox fans not appreciating the team despite recent success and the part about them panicking.
As a Sox fan it doesn't bother me in the least. The offense has been anemic and the local media and fans are riding Ozzie about lineup changes and who should be called up and sent down. I'm betting most of the fans, and not a loud minority, are fed up with the offensive woes and want to see some change.
I guess if Sox fans and media can dish it out, they better be prepared to take a little bit too. :-D
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Mon May 05, 2008 11:10 pm

This is news? OK, maybe this time he used some more colorful language than usual, but Ozzie says controversial things all the time.

When Ozzie's head literally explodes off the top of his neck, that will be news. Until then, in Chicago they call this situation "Monday."
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Tue May 06, 2008 12:02 am

tmlfan4ever wrote:He's an idiot for stating facts? I agree with everything he said.

It's true, I agree with him as well. I'm a big CWS fan, and I can't stand other White Sox fans for the most part. Two weeks ago every CWS fan is all smiles, and now everyone's saying we should trade every other player on the team and how we'll have a losing season. One fan I know talked smack about Thome for a good 10 minutes even though he had gone 2/4 that same night. I talk about the team's problems too but CWS fans tend to be pretty nasty to their team. I'm a believer in things' turning around...
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers