Drop Gallardo.
AnddWon
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Harang

Postby deutschland » Thu May 08, 2008 3:45 am

Dhark wrote:I like Harang, but I am benching him w/ a potent Cubs lineup. The Cubs have lost 2 in row and I think they will be swinging tonight. I think I will wait til next start. Anyone else worried about starting him tonight? His ERA was 7.50 against them this season so far.

Not only is it ludicrous to bench an ace like Harang, but your reasoning for benching him was also flawed. Granted, I know the outcome and that benching him may have worked out for you in this case, but that's besides the point, because if you continue to bench your aces you will end up losing out.

Back to your reasoning for benching him.
The Cubs have lost 2 in row and I think they will be swinging tonight.

meaning the Cubs aren't playing well enough to win? That would seem like a reason to start him. Ok, so you are going by the law of averages, assuming the Cubs are due for a win. Well then:

His ERA was 7.50 against them this season so far.

By the reasoning you used above it would seem logical to start him because his ERA has to come down to the norm with his next start.

If you are looking for sound reasoning to start or sit a guy at least go with some numbers to back it up. The reason you should've started Harang:
3 Year Splits:

3.09 ERA in May
7-3 record vs. the Cubs (and the Reds have had crappier offenses in the past)

Also, it is impossible to predict wins in this situation. Harang is just as likely to toss a shutout as Zambrano. The fact that your league counts losses as a category isn't enough to consider benching an ace like Harang. You also missed out on a decent quality start. 7 ip with 6 k's (3.85 ERA and 1.28 WHIP, negligible to your team's final numbers) So overall you probably lost points by not starting him.
deutschland
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby harold_bush » Thu May 08, 2008 3:57 pm

deutschland wrote:
Dhark wrote:I like Harang, but I am benching him w/ a potent Cubs lineup. The Cubs have lost 2 in row and I think they will be swinging tonight. I think I will wait til next start. Anyone else worried about starting him tonight? His ERA was 7.50 against them this season so far.

Not only is it ludicrous to bench an ace like Harang, but your reasoning for benching him was also flawed. Granted, I know the outcome and that benching him may have worked out for you in this case, but that's besides the point, because if you continue to bench your aces you will end up losing out.

meaning the Cubs aren't playing well enough to win? That would seem like a reason to start him. Ok, so you are going by the law of averages, assuming the Cubs are due for a win. Well then:

By the reasoning you used above it would seem logical to start him because his ERA has to come down to the norm with his next start.

If you are looking for sound reasoning to start or sit a guy at least go with some numbers to back it up. The reason you should've started Harang:
3 Year Splits:

3.09 ERA in May

Also, it is impossible to predict wins in this situation. Harang is just as likely to toss a shutout as Zambrano. The fact that your league counts losses as a category isn't enough to consider benching an ace like Harang. You also missed out on a decent quality start. 7 ip with 6 k's (3.85 ERA and 1.28 WHIP, negligible to your team's final numbers) So overall you probably lost points by not starting him.

Hate to break it you , dude, but that ain't my quote. You are quoting someone else's post. My rationale for "giving consideration" to benching Harang was the Zamabrano has been great this year and the Reds' offense has been awful this year. Nothing to do w/ the Cubs losing or Harang's ERA against them.

You are also wrong on the statement that "I probably lost points by not starting him." How do you figure? His ERA 3.85, was higher than my team ERA, and his 1.28 WHIP is consdierably higher than my team WHIP. He took a loss, which would have cost me points since our league counts losses. He basically would have burned up 6 innings (in an innings limit league) to get me a loss and hurt my ratios.

Not to be a jerk, but your post couldn't have been more incorrect, and was was one of the most irrelevant posts I've ever read.
C- Montero/Napoli
1B-Pujols
2B-Cano
SS-Jeter
3B-Wright
OF-Dunn, J. Upton, Ichiro
UT-Chris Young
Bench - Carlos Lee, Pierre, Aramis

SP-Liriano, Wainwright, Jamie Garcia, Nolasco, Colby Lewis
RP- Wagner, K-Rod, Capps, Wood, Corpas
harold_bush
College Coach
College Coach

Postby harold_bush » Thu May 08, 2008 4:00 pm

AnddWon wrote:Drop Gallardo.

Yeah, I'm just waiting on the official word, which I haven't seen yet. I've learned in year's past not to be too quick to pull the trigger on these types of things. Plus, I have a DL spot that is unoccupied, so he isn't taking up any roster space.
C- Montero/Napoli
1B-Pujols
2B-Cano
SS-Jeter
3B-Wright
UT-Chris Young

harold_bush
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BBlinn13 » Thu May 08, 2008 11:03 pm

harold_bush wrote:
deutschland wrote:

3 Year Splits:

3.09 ERA in May

Hate to break it you , dude, but that ain't my quote. You are quoting someone else's post. My rationale for "giving consideration" to benching Harang was the Zamabrano has been great this year and the Reds' offense has been awful this year. Nothing to do w/ the Cubs losing or Harang's ERA against them.

You are also wrong on the statement that "I probably lost points by not starting him." How do you figure? His ERA 3.85, was higher than my team ERA, and his 1.28 WHIP is consdierably higher than my team WHIP. He took a loss, which would have cost me points since our league counts losses. He basically would have burned up 6 innings (in an innings limit league) to get me a loss and hurt my ratios.

Not to be a jerk, but your post couldn't have been more incorrect, and was was one of the most irrelevant posts I've ever read.

not to be political, whats the point in trying tp argue with "harlod_BUSH" name says it all...could give him a clear and consise reason and he can just pretend like it didnt happen...Sorry Harold, even if your not related to him thats a GW type move
[
BBlinn13
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby deutschland » Fri May 09, 2008 4:23 pm

harold_bush wrote:
deutschland wrote:

3 Year Splits:

3.09 ERA in May

ok, i realize i incorrectly tied your league's scoring rules into that post. the quotes were from Dhark's post, but I still stand by all the points in my argument as they apply to your league that counts losses.
deutschland
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby gatorgreenwell » Sat May 10, 2008 11:25 am

It does not appear as though Harang will be getting a 2nd start this week as originally planned (possibly). Belisle and Arroyo will pitch the Saturday double header and Cueto is still scheduled to pitch on Sunday. It looks like Harang will start twice during the upcoming week.

Today's Game 1: Reds at New York Mets, 1:10 p.m., Shea Stadium, in the first game of a three-game series

TV: FSN Ohio

Radio: WLW-AM (700)
ADVERTISEMENT

On the mound: Reds RH Matt Belisle (1-2, 6.91 ERA) vs. Mets LH Johan Santana (3-2, 2.91)

Today's Game 2: Reds at Mets, 7:30 p.m.

On the mound: Reds RH Bronson Arroyo (1-4, 8.63 ERA) vs. Mets RH Mike Pelfrey (2-2, 5.27)

Sunday: Reds at Mets, 1:10 p.m.

On the mound: Reds RH Johnny Cueto (2-3, 5.27 ERA) vs. Mets LH Oliver Perez (2-3, 4.63)

Monday: Reds vs. Marlins, 7:10 p.m., first game of a four-game series, Great American Ball Park

On the mound: Reds RH Aaron Harang (1-5, 3.09) vs. Marlins RH Burke Badenhop (1-2, 6.31)
http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ ... 0/1071/SPT
gatorgreenwell
College Coach
College Coach

Postby damnitman » Sat May 10, 2008 2:04 pm

Good to hear rather have him face the marlins and get 2 starts next week ;-D
damnitman
College Coach
College Coach

Postby harold_bush » Mon May 12, 2008 10:37 am

damnitman wrote:Good to hear rather have him face the marlins and get 2 starts next week ;-D

Yeah, I agree, but damn, I didn't realize the Marlins were playing as well as they are. They have one of hte better records in baseball, and Uggla has gone bananas with 7 HRs in May, which isn't even halfway over. I'm starting Harang tonight, but I've got a bad feeling. Part of hte feeling is that the reatrded lineup of the Reds can's score, so if Harang gives up two runs or more, he losses.
C- Montero/Napoli
1B-Pujols
2B-Cano
SS-Jeter
3B-Wright
UT-Chris Young

harold_bush
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Dohno » Mon May 12, 2008 6:56 pm

harold_bush wrote:
damnitman wrote:Good to hear rather have him face the marlins and get 2 starts next week ;-D

Yeah, I agree, but damn, I didn't realize the Marlins were playing as well as they are. They have one of hte better records in baseball, and Uggla has gone bananas with 7 HRs in May, which isn't even halfway over. I'm starting Harang tonight, but I've got a bad feeling. Part of hte feeling is that the reatrded lineup of the Reds can's score, so if Harang gives up two runs or more, he losses.

If the REDs cant score at least 4 runs against Burke Badenhop who is 0-2 with a 8.18 era on the road this year I am going to cry!!!
Dohno
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates