How worried should I be about Uggy? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How worried should I be about Uggy?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How worried should I be about Uggy?

Postby El Jefe » Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:15 pm

I have the presently unemployed Urbina in 2 leagues. Folks in my leagues are pretty tight when it comes to trading closers...even bad ones. I've read reports about the Pirates being interested, but that's about it. Except for the talk of him sitting the year out. So...How worried should I be about Uggy?
El Jefe
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dude86 » Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:18 pm

well I don't think he'll be on any opening day rosters but at some point during the season I gurantee that he will be signed.
Dude86
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby LBJackal » Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:24 pm

How can you guarantee he'll be signed? He's already said he won't sign unless he gets the money he's looking for. I'd be very worried if I had Uggie on my roster, which is why I don't have him on any rosters. There are so many other closers who will put up just as many saves, so why take the risk of having him on your roster and getting no saves out of him? Add to that the fact that no good teams are looking for a closer, and you have a bad combination. The Twins could use a reliever after losing Hawkins and Guardado, but they weren't willing to cough up the dough to keep them, so why pay a high price for another guy? Especially when they have a possible stud closer in Nathan and a closer-in-the-making in Jesse Crain.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Dude86 » Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:28 pm

At some point during the season some team thats in a pennant race will get desperate and give him what he wants. Instead of trading for a closer at the deadline they'll just sign Urbina.
Dude86
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby shortsavage » Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:50 pm

I agree with Dude86. A 2.5 mil contract is not nearly as intimidating as a 5 mil contract.

Urbina is a top 10 closer. He is definately worth a bench spot in any league that lets you store more than 5 guys.

Who cares where he ends up. If Mike Williams can look decent on a bad team, then Urbina can look good on a bad team.

Urbina would be a good pick if you end up with someone like Boroski or Biddle as your starting closer because he could sign with a team right around the time they lose their closing jobs.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby Jackie Treehorn » Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:37 pm

I think he'll sign with someone, and sooner than later.
"How's the smut business, Jackie?"
Jackie Treehorn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers