Pujols' elbow - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Pujols' elbow

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Pujols' elbow

Postby CruiseJD » Mon May 05, 2008 9:27 am

Last night during the Cards-Cubs game, Joe Morgan reported that Albert Pujols told him that his elbow was no worse than it was in 2003 and that it only became a big deal during spring training this year because of the news reporting. He also indicated that Pujols is not worried about the elbow.

Of course, I wouldn't expect Pujols to say anything differently than that.
CruiseJD
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Pujols' elbow

Postby pangbones » Mon May 05, 2008 2:52 pm

This doesn't surprise me. People overreacted to him saying he would shut it down if it hurt as bad as it did last year. From what I've read about it, his elbow probably will need surgery at some point, but it could be several years until that needs to happen. I don't know what's going to happen, but he looks as good as he always does, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.
pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue May 06, 2008 1:55 pm

The elbow isn't likely to affect him hitting, more so when it comes to throwing but as a 1B, naturally he doesn't have to throw often.

I think most folks including myself were concerned more about Pujols' feeling about the injury and taking stock into what he said. Naturally, the fears translated into managers downgrading his draft value as well.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby interchange » Tue May 06, 2008 2:56 pm

He went early in all the drafts I participated in. I still think, even healthy, he's more of a 2nd round player in a 5x5. He will hit for high average and get 35 HR, but he'll be walked a ton with less potent bats behind him, diminishing is R/RBI #s which are what put him over the top in the past. Still, he's a sure thing when healthy.
Dominate is a verb. Dominant is an adjective.
interchange
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby abc11435 » Tue May 06, 2008 3:01 pm

Let's face it, even Pujol himself doesn't know how his elbow is doing. He knows it hurts, but the real concern is how long the tendons/muscles/joints will hold up. I think that's the part that scares owners the most.
abc11435
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 23)

Postby Amazing Oopah » Tue May 06, 2008 3:13 pm

I'm pretty sure he was just trying to lower his value in his own fantasy leagues! :-t ;-)
Amazing Oopah
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue May 06, 2008 3:14 pm

interchange wrote:He went early in all the drafts I participated in. I still think, even healthy, he's more of a 2nd round player in a 5x5. He will hit for high average and get 35 HR, but he'll be walked a ton with less potent bats behind him, diminishing is R/RBI #s which are what put him over the top in the past. Still, he's a sure thing when healthy.

The more he walks the more his R are going to go up not down. His RBI opportunities are what will really be hurt.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby anti elian » Tue May 06, 2008 3:17 pm

Amazing Oopah wrote:I'm pretty sure he was just trying to lower his value in his own fantasy leagues! :-t ;-)

lol, he had the last pick in his 14-team league. He pulled the reverse Chris Cooley move on his leaguemates.
anti elian
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Simulacrum » Tue May 06, 2008 3:56 pm

Funny that people avoided Pujols due to injury risk... and now A-Rod is the one on the DL... :-?
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby interchange » Tue May 06, 2008 5:06 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:The more he walks the more his R are going to go up not down. His RBI opportunities are what will really be hurt.

Ordinarily. But there are 2 problems. 1) people behind him won't be able to knock him in and 2) worse lineup = less ABs.
Dominate is a verb. Dominant is an adjective.
interchange
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates