Where did the K's go FROD? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Where did the K's go FROD?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Where did the K's go FROD?

Postby NZ Eff » Mon May 05, 2008 6:02 pm

Yoda wrote:
NZ Eff wrote:The high save totals have been a fluke. One because of the amount of save ops. and two because several saves he did get could just as easily have been blown (Hunter saved his a#$% against Sexson for one). He hasn't got as much on his fastball so he's throwing his slider more and as hitters are sitting on that he's walking more as a result. I predicted in March that he was the stud closer to stay away from and despite the high save totals so far I've seen nothing to change my mind.


But didn't you say that there is a strong correlation between SV and team's success? Wouldn't you want Krod since the Halos have the best record in the division? :-?



Think before you write.

Of course he has value if you believe the Halos will win plenty of games but that needs to be offset against his pitching ratios. The same reason many should have taken Joe Borowski last season but it also hurts you in ERA and Whip so both areas have to be considered. You certainly don't grab a closer in the 4th / 5th / 6th round who you believe will have ordinary ratios even if you're confident of 45+ saves.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Matchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 1480
(Past Year: 23)
Joined: 20 Jan 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Where did the K's go FROD?

Postby Yoda » Mon May 05, 2008 6:13 pm

NZ Eff wrote:
Yoda wrote:
NZ Eff wrote:The high save totals have been a fluke. One because of the amount of save ops. and two because several saves he did get could just as easily have been blown (Hunter saved his a#$% against Sexson for one). He hasn't got as much on his fastball so he's throwing his slider more and as hitters are sitting on that he's walking more as a result. I predicted in March that he was the stud closer to stay away from and despite the high save totals so far I've seen nothing to change my mind.


But didn't you say that there is a strong correlation between SV and team's success? Wouldn't you want Krod since the Halos have the best record in the division? :-?



Think before you write.

Of course he has value if you believe the Halos will win plenty of games but that needs to be offset against his pitching ratios. The same reason many should have taken Joe Borowski last season but it also hurts you in ERA and Whip so both areas have to be considered. You certainly don't grab a closer in the 4th / 5th / 6th round who you believe will have ordinary ratios even if you're confident of 45+ saves.


Oh right you predicted that Krod will pitch injured. Just like you predicted that Castillo will be better than Kent. And that Lincecum would be worthless.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: Where did the K's go FROD?

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon May 05, 2008 6:17 pm

NZ Eff wrote:The high save totals have been a fluke. One because of the amount of save ops. and two because several saves he did get could just as easily have been blown (Hunter saved his a#$% against Sexson for one). He hasn't got as much on his fastball so he's throwing his slider more and as hitters are sitting on that he's walking more as a result. I predicted in March that he was the stud closer to stay away from and despite the high save totals so far I've seen nothing to change my mind.


Yes, save opportunities can be a matter of happenstance, but the Angels don't have an offense that can blow teams away either and therefore, get into many games resolved by only a few runs.

I agree with you that K-Rod probably won't be worth the 4th-6th round pick when Matt Capps and Joakim Soria could be had for cheaper with better ratios, but with the possibility of seeing less save opportunities.
Image
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21938
(Past Year: 674)
Joined: 3 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Downloading rice

Re: Where did the K's go FROD?

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon May 05, 2008 6:19 pm

Yoda wrote:
NZ Eff wrote:
Yoda wrote:But didn't you say that there is a strong correlation between SV and team's success? Wouldn't you want Krod since the Halos have the best record in the division? :-?



Think before you write.

Of course he has value if you believe the Halos will win plenty of games but that needs to be offset against his pitching ratios. The same reason many should have taken Joe Borowski last season but it also hurts you in ERA and Whip so both areas have to be considered. You certainly don't grab a closer in the 4th / 5th / 6th round who you believe will have ordinary ratios even if you're confident of 45+ saves.


Oh right you predicted that Krod will pitch injured. Just like you predicted that Castillo will be better than Kent. And that Lincecum would be worthless.


I'm on board with him in saying that Kerry Wood will be a top 5 closer by year's end though.
Image
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21938
(Past Year: 674)
Joined: 3 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Downloading rice

Re: Where did the K's go FROD?

Postby Yoda » Mon May 05, 2008 6:26 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:I'm on board with him in saying that Kerry Wood will be a top 5 closer by year's end though.


Possible if he stays healthy. I've been calling for Wood to be the closer since 2007 and he would be dominant in that role:
viewtopic.php?t=245291&hilit=wood#p1970692
viewtopic.php?t=316799&hilit=wood#p2530775
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: Where did the K's go FROD?

Postby NZ Eff » Mon May 05, 2008 6:33 pm

Yoda wrote:
Oh right you predicted that Krod will pitch injured. Just like you predicted that Castillo will be better than Kent. And that Lincecum would be worthless.



And Posada is not worth drafting because he'll hit the DL and Mike Lowell will be a flop this year...... yep you're on to it.

One thing though, I never said Lincecum will be worthless. I said it's very likely he doesn't improve on last years numbers.

Think before you write, you get things wrong too often.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Matchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 1480
(Past Year: 23)
Joined: 20 Jan 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Where did the K's go FROD?

Postby Yoda » Mon May 05, 2008 6:42 pm

NZ Eff wrote:
Yoda wrote:
Oh right you predicted that Krod will pitch injured. Just like you predicted that Castillo will be better than Kent. And that Lincecum would be worthless.



And Posada is not worth drafting because he'll hit the DL and Mike Lowell will be a flop this year...... yep you're on to it.

One thing though, I never said Lincecum will be worthless. I said it's very likely he doesn't improve on last years numbers.

Think before you write, you get things wrong too often.


Wow you called Posada and Lowell regressing this year? You are a genius! No one else would have predicted those.

You are right, you said Lincecum would regress not be worthless. You were still too chicken to bet me though
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 21344
Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 15th green...

Re: Where did the K's go FROD?

Postby NZ Eff » Mon May 05, 2008 6:52 pm

Yoda wrote:Wow you called Posada and Lowell regressing this year? You are a genius! No one else would have predicted those.


You don't take advice well do you? THINK BEFORE YOU WRITE!!!!!!


I said....... Posada is not worth drafting and Lowell will be a flop.
BIG, BIG difference than saying they will regress as I did for Lincecum.

Yes a regression was fully expected by most but not to the level I predicted.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Matchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 1480
(Past Year: 23)
Joined: 20 Jan 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Where did the K's go FROD?

Postby bigh0rt » Mon May 05, 2008 7:22 pm

NZ Eff wrote:
Yoda wrote:Wow you called Posada and Lowell regressing this year? You are a genius! No one else would have predicted those.


You don't take advice well do you? THINK BEFORE YOU WRITE!!!!!!


I said....... Posada is not worth drafting and Lowell will be a flop.
BIG, BIG difference than saying they will regress as I did for Lincecum.

Yes a regression was fully expected by most but not to the level I predicted.

Can you tell me at what age I'm going to die, please? I want to make sure I get everything in before I kick the bucket.
Image
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 24816
(Past Year: 357)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Crowding The Plate

Re: Where did the K's go FROD?

Postby NZ Eff » Mon May 05, 2008 7:42 pm

bigh0rt wrote:Can you tell me at what age I'm going to die, please? I want to make sure I get everything in before I kick the bucket.


15 year old girls are very difficult to predict.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Matchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 1480
(Past Year: 23)
Joined: 20 Jan 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Tuesday, Sep. 2
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Cincinnati at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Detroit at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Boston at NY Yankees
(7:05 pm)
Philadelphia at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
NY Mets at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Toronto at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Milwaukee at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
Chi White Sox at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Texas at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
LA Angels at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Pittsburgh at St. Louis
(8:15 pm)
San Francisco at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
Seattle at Oakland
(10:05 pm)
Washington at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)
Arizona at San Diego
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact