Johan trade, chime in - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Johan trade, chime in

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Johan trade, chime in

Postby BTOWNHESS » Tue May 06, 2008 12:39 pm

Nate McClutch wrote:But let's ask what we should always ask. Is this a private league? Do you know the owners? Does everyone know each other? Money league? Keeper?

Private league, I know neither of these owners. As opposed to A-Rod deal when I know both.
Non-keeper, no money, but still relatively competitive. In its third year, with 10 of 12 owners returning.

League is getting a bit veto-happy though, so I want some of these odd trades to go through just to keep people into trading.

The aforementioned Johan trade was vetoed.

Oddly, the subsequent Johan+Victorino -- for -- Penny+Chris Young is going through.
Another weird one.

NO offense, but your league sucks. Vetoing the first trade then allowing that trade is BS. If I were in that league it would be my last season.
BTOWNHESS
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Nate McClutch » Tue May 06, 2008 4:30 pm

Read all of the info dude. The second trade was vetoed also. In bold below, and on prior page.
Last edited by Nate McClutch on Tue May 06, 2008 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nate McClutch
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Nate McClutch » Tue May 06, 2008 4:32 pm

Nate McClutch wrote:
noseeum wrote:
Nate McClutch wrote:But let's ask what we should always ask. Is this a private league? Do you know the owners? Does everyone know each other? Money league? Keeper?

Private league, I know neither of these owners. As opposed to A-Rod deal when I know both.
Non-keeper, no money, but still relatively competitive. In its third year, with 10 of 12 owners returning.

League is getting a bit veto-happy though, so I want some of these odd trades to go through just to keep people into trading.

The aforementioned Johan trade was vetoed.

Oddly, the subsequent Johan+Victorino -- for -- Penny+Chris Young is going through.
Another weird one.

So the guy who traded Lincecum and Sherzer just got screwed out of Johan and someone else gets him for a deal like that? Now tell me again how vetoes are fair?

Johan/Victorino for Penny/ChrisYoung was just vetoed.
Nate McClutch
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Re: Johan update

Postby Nate McClutch » Wed May 07, 2008 8:34 am

Update!

Johan trade background:
Johan/Atkins/Delmon Young for Sherzer/Lincecum/Mark Reynolds was vetoed by 1/3 league vote
Johan/Victorino for Penny/Chris Young was vetoed by 1/3 league vote

Johan/Victorino for Penny/C. Young/Jermaine Dye was passed

I think people overvalued Victorino in the second trade. His 30+ steal potential is fine, but he should not have be a deal breaker IMO.

Thanks for those of you with positive input.

I just hope that the veto-happy owners in the league -- again, 1/3 league vote in a 12 team (no keeper league, mostly friends) or what amounts to 4 out of 10 owners not involved in the transaction. Its hard to argue against 4/10 voting against a trade, but I also know how hard it is to make a trade and its disheartening when it is shot down.

FYI earlier in the year, this passed through:

Hanley Ramirez
for
Tulo/Daisuke/Hamels

Crazy right? But look at Hanley's numbers, and Daisuke's drag on WHIP and unknown second half potential (and this is long before Tulo DL), and I think you have to have an open mind about player value. I got the 3 players, and sometimes I think I should've kept Hanley. Tulo notwithstanding. I'm running Felix Lopez out there, and eyeballing the Roger Cedeno & the Erick Aybars of the league, and watching Dice K walk 8 batters. Lopsided trades not always how they seem.
Nate McClutch
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Re: Johan update

Postby noseeum » Wed May 07, 2008 10:47 am

Nate McClutch wrote:Update!

Johan trade background:
Johan/Atkins/Delmon Young for Sherzer/Lincecum/Mark Reynolds was vetoed by 1/3 league vote
Johan/Victorino for Penny/Chris Young was vetoed by 1/3 league vote

Johan/Victorino for Penny/C. Young/Jermaine Dye was passed

I think people overvalued Victorino in the second trade. His 30+ steal potential is fine, but he should not have be a deal breaker IMO.

Thanks for those of you with positive input.

I just hope that the veto-happy owners in the league -- again, 1/3 league vote in a 12 team (no keeper league, mostly friends) or what amounts to 4 out of 10 owners not involved in the transaction. Its hard to argue against 4/10 voting against a trade, but I also know how hard it is to make a trade and its disheartening when it is shot down.

FYI earlier in the year, this passed through:

Hanley Ramirez
for
Tulo/Daisuke/Hamels

Crazy right? But look at Hanley's numbers, and Daisuke's drag on WHIP and unknown second half potential (and this is long before Tulo DL), and I think you have to have an open mind about player value. I got the 3 players, and sometimes I think I should've kept Hanley. Tulo notwithstanding. I'm running Felix Lopez out there, and eyeballing the Roger Cedeno & the Erick Aybars of the league, and watching Dice K walk 8 batters. Lopsided trades not always how they seem.

You should have kept Hanley. None of those three come close to approaching his value, even when healthy. It's a fair deal, but never do 3 for 1s with a top 5 guy. Quality for quantity is a losing proposition.

Why does it only take 4 votes to veto in a 12 team league? It should at least be a majority. No wonder you never get any trades done.

It seems you guys aren't taking into account the players that are dropped. In a 3 for 1 deal, you need to cut two players. Who'd you cut when you picked up Tulo/Dice/Hamels?
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Nate McClutch » Wed May 07, 2008 11:00 am

This trade was 2nd week of April, and I dropped Khalil Green & Carlos Villenueva to make room for the 3
In my defense, I was very pitching poor.
Nate McClutch
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Nate McClutch » Wed May 07, 2008 11:02 am

Yahoo format offers two options;
commish veto power or league veto power; and league veto power is a 1/3rd vote.
Nate McClutch
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby The Fischer Account » Sat May 10, 2008 3:41 pm

Bad trade now, good trade later on IF the young players make the leap. Atkins is a very underrated player and I'd be hesitant to part with him.
The Fischer Account
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Previous

Return to Commissioner's Corner