Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Johan trade, chime in

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon May 05, 2008 8:51 am

That better be a keeper league.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 380)

Postby Matthias » Mon May 05, 2008 10:12 am

That's just plain stupid.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby noseeum » Mon May 05, 2008 10:38 am

What's so bad about it?

Delmon Young has been scheduled to arrive for like 3 years now. I can see plenty of reason to have lost patience with him. Not one homer yet. 6 SBs is good, but that depends on the league setup. In 10 team MLB points league, he might not even be rostered.

Choosing Reynolds over Atkins is easily defensible, whether you agree with it or not.

So if it comes down to Johan for Sherzer and Lincecum, that's also defensible.

I wouldn't make the move, but it's defensible. He's getting high upside pitching that's currently performing well.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Matthias » Mon May 05, 2008 10:56 am

I'll give you D. Young is a low-value, but it's still not worth it even if you subtract him out of the deal.

Reynolds << Atkins: .237/.320/7/25/24 vs. .315/.341/6/22/17 and Atkins has hit over .300 the past two seasons; last year (his only year in the bigs) Reynolds hit .278. If it was just a straight-up deal, this would be the type of trade that people get made fun for, buying high on the flavor-of-the-week and selling on a known, quality quantity.

Sharazad & Lincecum don't equal Santana. They just don't. Past success means something.

This looks like a classic trade that is rigged to slide quality players to a friend and to give up just enough to avoid the smell test because the numbers don't look ridiculously off.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby noseeum » Mon May 05, 2008 12:30 pm

Matthias wrote:I'll give you D. Young is a low-value, but it's still not worth it even if you subtract him out of the deal.

Reynolds << Atkins: .237/.320/7/25/24 vs. .315/.341/6/22/17 and Atkins has hit over .300 the past two seasons; last year (his only year in the bigs) Reynolds hit .278. If it was just a straight-up deal, this would be the type of trade that people get made fun for, buying high on the flavor-of-the-week and selling on a known, quality quantity.

Sharazad & Lincecum don't equal Santana. They just don't. Past success means something.

This looks like a classic trade that is rigged to slide quality players to a friend and to give up just enough to avoid the smell test because the numbers don't look ridiculously off.

I disagree. This looks like an inexperienced owner who gets infatuated with young pitching and is frustrated with Johan's typical early season human resembling stats.

I'm not saying it's even, but this is three guys getting great early season press for three guys not getting good early press. But all of the players involved have loads of talent. The one owner maybe did a good job of selling, but clap your hands for him. Feel free to say that guy lost the deal and is selling low and buying high, but that's his prerogative. Good job on the other owner's part for getting it done.

But let's ask what we should always ask. Is this a private league? Do you know the owners? Does everyone know each other? Money league? Keeper?
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Nate McClutch » Mon May 05, 2008 1:36 pm

But let's ask what we should always ask. Is this a private league? Do you know the owners? Does everyone know each other? Money league? Keeper?

Private league, I know neither of these owners. As opposed to A-Rod deal when I know both.
Non-keeper, no money, but still relatively competitive. In its third year, with 10 of 12 owners returning.

League is getting a bit veto-happy though, so I want some of these odd trades to go through just to keep people into trading.

The aforementioned Johan trade was vetoed.

Oddly, the subsequent Johan+Victorino -- for -- Penny+Chris Young is going through.
Another weird one.
Nate McClutch
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby noseeum » Mon May 05, 2008 2:08 pm

Nate McClutch wrote:But let's ask what we should always ask. Is this a private league? Do you know the owners? Does everyone know each other? Money league? Keeper?

Private league, I know neither of these owners. As opposed to A-Rod deal when I know both.
Non-keeper, no money, but still relatively competitive. In its third year, with 10 of 12 owners returning.

League is getting a bit veto-happy though, so I want some of these odd trades to go through just to keep people into trading.

Oddly, the subsequent Johan+Victorino -- for -- Penny+Chris Young is going through.
Another weird one.

So the guy who traded Lincecum and Sherzer just got screwed out of Johan and someone else gets him for a deal like that? Now tell me again how vetoes are fair?
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Nate McClutch » Mon May 05, 2008 10:39 pm

noseeum wrote:
Nate McClutch wrote:But let's ask what we should always ask. Is this a private league? Do you know the owners? Does everyone know each other? Money league? Keeper?

Another weird one.

So the guy who traded Lincecum and Sherzer just got screwed out of Johan and someone else gets him for a deal like that? Now tell me again how vetoes are fair?

Johan/Victorino for Penny/ChrisYoung was just vetoed.
Nate McClutch
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby BTOWNHESS » Tue May 06, 2008 12:37 pm

I wouldnt veto that deal. Yeah the Johan side is better, I guess. Johan wasnt the dominant mofo he always was last year and he has started this year the same way. Lincecum is for real and even for the worst team in baseball he might still win 17-20 games this year.

I would even go as far as to say its within the realm of possibililty to say Lincecum has an overall better season than Johan. Lincecum goes into every game knowing he may only get 1 run to work with. That makes you a better pitcher. You concentrate more than if you pitch for the Mets and actually get run support.

Id rather have Atkins, but really between him and Reynolds, its not that much of a stretch.

And Sherzer and Delmon is a wash.

**Shrug** I have full veto power in my league and Id definately look at this for a few minutes but Id let it go through.
Last edited by BTOWNHESS on Tue May 06, 2008 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BTOWNHESS
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner