When to play subs? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

When to play subs?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

When to play subs?

Postby theplayer11 » Sun May 04, 2008 7:30 pm

Lately I have a hot bench and it seems I'm playing the wrong guy every day. It's nice to have a productive bench, but it can be aggravating watching them put up numbers. The easy answer is to play them when they are hot..but it really isn't that easy in reality. I have Kent, Kaz Matsui, Pence, Quentin, Ibanez, Cuddyer..But 2 have to sit.
A. Laroche and Kouz are also starting to get hot, but have them on the bench. Laroche would have to replace Guillen or Tex..and Kouz would spell Beltre.

Many like to trade away good bench players, but there is a long way to go and injuries do happen. It's nice to be able to plug a good player in when someone goes down.

I guess my question is: Do you guys stick with pretty much a certain line up all the time? I've been sitting Cuddyer so far and lately been going back and forth between Kaz and Pence..and it's not working out. I can't sit Quentin the way he's been playing, and Ibanez has been solid..How would you handle it?
theplayer11
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: When to play subs?

Postby Havok1517 » Sun May 04, 2008 7:38 pm

I personally really only sit my starters when they face these pitchers...Peavy, Webb, & Santana. Or if one of my benches are awesome against a certain team/pitcher or one of my starters are horribly bad against a certain pitcher. You'll drive yourself crazy playing too many matchups. So, yes I have a set amount of starters and the bench plays when one of my starters sit or has a day off.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 103)

Postby NZ Eff » Sun May 04, 2008 7:53 pm

I generally will always start my stud hitters and then play matchups after that. Guys like Laroche should never be started against a LHP and Ibanez as well. Kent sits out a lot (doesn't play a day game after a night game) so you need to be on top of that as well.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Matchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 98)

Postby soccerballer002 » Sun May 04, 2008 11:58 pm

Is there someplace you find this information? Like what pitchers they are bad against, if they can't hit a lefty, who they absolutely crush, etc. That would be some pretty valuable stuff.
soccerballer002
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BJSFAN123 » Mon May 05, 2008 12:03 am

I usually only sit my players if they are real bad against lefties, like Thome for example...even though he's been hitting lefties better than righties this season..what's up with that? O:-)

I usually don't look too much at the batter vs pitcher splits..usually the sample size is too small.
BJSFAN123
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 197)

Postby mtxdevil » Mon May 05, 2008 12:06 am

soccerballer002 wrote:Is there someplace you find this information? Like what pitchers they are bad against, if they can't hit a lefty, who they absolutely crush, etc. That would be some pretty valuable stuff.

You can look at splits for every player in their profile.
mtxdevil
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Sea Dog Fan » Mon May 05, 2008 12:45 am

Sometimes I sit Adrian Gonzalez when he's at Petco. Sometimes I put in Michael Bourn when I need steals. I don't really have a deep bench in my league because I carry a lot of pitchers and I feel pretty comfortable with my 10 team h2h lineup. I only have Kelly Johnson and Bourn on my bench, the person I sit the most is Votto.
Sea Dog Fan
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers