Dodger will wIN the west! read why - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Dodger will wIN the west! read why

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby TownDrunk » Thu Feb 26, 2004 3:42 am

Laughable? The Giants have always had a horrible farm system, yet they keep winning. I have wanted them for years now to invest in the farm system, but they still do the whole veteran approach. And hey, it works for them.

Why would you want one of the best GM's in baseball gone? Ridiculous.

Ainsworth and Moss for Ponson was at the time a great deal. A deal you had to make. Ponson was the best starter on the market, and the Giants needed a #2 guy. You make that trade in a heartbeat. Plus, Ainsworth had that freaky shoulder injury and who knows if he will ever fully recover. Go back and take a look at Sabean's track record when it comes to giving up pitching prospects.

Cripes, get a clue.

[b]25[/b]
TownDrunk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Web Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby swingaway » Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:22 am

what isnt none talkign about the diamnd backs i think they can give padres ar un for their money besdies schllign who have they lost?
Padres pitchign isnt proven yet the trio of eaton , lawerence, peavy aint that good yet and if they dont come around things could become inresting because teh only proven guy n that staff is beer chugger wells. The dbacks have unti who is far better than wells and webb who is an up and comer who is better than eaton lawerence, and peavy. But at the end of the race will pick simpily for the fact that they have mroe pitchers. If the Dbacks make a trade for another decnt number 3 i give the nod to the dbacks. I see this happenign this year the dbacks trail the pads say 5 games before the dealine they trade mantei to lets say the pirates for kip wells then i give the nod to the dbacks. One thing for sure is that this race in this divison is alot closer than people think.
swingaway
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby wrveres » Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:31 am

Well I may be just a little biased but .... ;-7

We have added Giles.
We have added Wells .. (please stay together David)
We have added Hernanadez
We have added Payton

Add to that, Phil Nevin's bat will be back for a full year, and to help ensure that he stays healthy, Bruce is giving him the first basemans job.

In the bullpen, Trevor is back, Beck is signed to be setting him up, and Kevin even brought in Otsuka, the Japanese Closer to set Beck up. Combined the three have over 660 career saves. 8-o Thats a ton of eperience in "Clutch" situations. This bullpen will be very underrated. I would say this might be the Padres best pen .... ever!!

And for the pitching staff, I agree that Adam, Jacob and Brian (doesn't that sound just sooo biblical doesn't it? "Adam, Jacob and Brian"), anyways I agree that they need to be just a little more consistent and prove themselves. But man, if the flashes of brillance that they have shown are any indicator, Its going to be a fun ride this season.

I believe the Mccourt Dodgers are first on the list. So, I'll promise you this LA Dodgers fans around the world, and you "Ginats" fans too .....

Monday, April 5, 4:10 pm, pst. Your ass whipping begins. 5 years of being the division bitch has built up a little animosity, and these Padres have something to say about it!! And LA, as we head back home on Wednesday night, to serve notice to Barry too, you'll understand why .. .. It will be clear as day in the Thursday morning paper ....
LAD .. 0-3

this Padre team is for real ...

Its is stacked top to bottom.
It has depth at every position, some positions more expensive than others. It has a very deep bullpen, and it has a pitching staff, that I personally will attest to bieng the Wests Best !!! ... "at times these kids are just brilliant"

Also, don't underestimate Kevin pulling another deal for a player that will put us over the top, All the Pads need to do is get close and be competitive.

The NL West 2004 pennant will hang in SD. you can take that to the bank
Lets go Pad' Res'
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 734)

Postby SkewedBoard » Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:48 am

the giants fouled by trading Russ Ortiz and getting nothing in return (Ponson gone). I have to say that as long as Sabean is GM of that team, they will never win San Francisco their first World Series. As far as winning the NL West, they are the reigning champ and have the best home-run hitter in the game. But they will choke as they usually do in the playoffs, IMHO. And I dont want to hear anything about Oakland short.
SkewedBoard
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Transmogrifier » Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:48 am

I also pick the Padres to win the division, followed by the Giants, then the Dodgers.

The Dodgers now have Jeff Weaver. Enoughs aid.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby bell » Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:56 am

SkewedBoard wrote:I have to say that as long as Sabean is GM of that team, they will never win San Francisco their first World Series.

It was Sabean's incapabilities as a GM that lost Game 6 & 7 of the World Series, huh? :-?
bell
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby baseballboy » Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:38 am

Anonymous wrote:is everybody here crazy? the giants will win it. there is no doubt. no team has upgraded significantly enough to beat them. plus the giants have many good young players coming up in the minors, look for them to keep this roling for a while

The only thing the Giants did to improve was get Pierzinski (and he's not much of an upgrade from Santiago). Starting pitcher problems include: Schmidt is a question mark with his sholder, Reuter as their #2 will be WAY overmatched, Williams is unproven and Tomko had one decent year in his whole career plus Nen might not even pitch (again) this year. As far as hitting: they've got bums in the STARTING lineup (Nefi Perez, JT Snow, Michael Tucker), Bonds will be 40 this year, Alfonzo has been a disappointment and Durham was slowed by a leg problem all of last year (and will be 33 this year). I conservatively think it's safe to say the Giants are no lock for the division this year.

Transmogrifier wrote:I also pick the Padres to win the division, followed by the Giants, then the Dodgers.

agreed ;-D
Last edited by baseballboy on Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
baseballboy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Madison » Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:42 am

TownDrunk wrote:I expect Tomko to a have a great year.

Why?

I happen to think that Tomko was a terrible move. Let's take a look at him.

Career: 1042.2 innings with a 4.62 era and a 1.36 whip. That's pretty terrible. Maybe he's gotten better the last couple of years? Nope.

'03---202.2 innings, 5.28 era, 1.52 whip.
'02---204.1 innings, 4.49 era, 1.33 whip.

He had an era of 3.43 in 126 innings as a rookie in '97. Other than that year, his lowest era ever in his career was 4.44 in 210.2 innings in '98.

Not sure at all why people seem to think that signing him was a good move. :-?
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:50 am

Ill take Arizona to win the division.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mocabeenow » Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:04 pm

i agree with Cornbread..

the D'Backs are going to kick some booty. I'm not a D'Backs fan, but they look like pretty good. Sexson! They finally got another big bat.. I think Gonzo, Finley, and Bautista are pretty good outfielders. after johnson and webb, the other three might give them some struggles winning games, but.. they've figured that out before w/ Johnson and Schilling (Webb is not Schilling, i know!) Padres look good too! Those fans are ready for a good season...

~Moc
mocabeenow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 191)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers