Dodger will wIN the west! read why - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Dodger will wIN the west! read why

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby LBJackal » Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:39 pm

They have basically the same team except they replaced their best starter with a rookie. The Padres have added Brian Giles, David Wells, Ramon Hernandez, Jay Payton, and now have Trevor Hoffman ready to be their full time closer.

The Dodgers don't so much have the best pitching, they just have the best pitchers park. They also don't have good hitting at all. And that's not just because of the park. Shawn Green is the only decent hitter you guys have. If you think Juan Encarnacion is better than Brian Jordan, you're focusing on fantasy. Juan's SB attempts hurt them more than they helped him, and he has a terrible OBA. And they're auditioning Jose Canseco for heaven's sake. The Dodgers were over 15 games out of 1st last season, and they got worse in the off-season. Not exactly encouraging, is it.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby fezzik » Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:51 pm

Canseco isn't challenging Encarnacion...he's battling for a pinch hitting role.
I guess you didn't understand my initial post. When describing the hitting improvements, the roster changes had little to do with them. Rather, the expectations for current players to perform better than last year. Encarnacion has room to improve, but he's young and talented. Jordan is old, brittle, and slow. Anyway, I was stating what I think the Dodgers are capable of. I'm well aware I'm in the minority and I wasn't trying to convince you I'm right. I am encouraged by the Dodgers. I'm a loyal fan and honestly believe they're pretty good...I guess that's about it. ;-D
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Madison » Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:57 pm

I pick the Padres to win the division. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:58 pm

is everybody here crazy? the giants will win it. there is no doubt. no team has upgraded significantly enough to beat them. plus the giants have many good young players coming up in the minors, look for them to keep this roling for a while

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby shortsavage » Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:05 pm

Anonymous wrote:is everybody here crazy? the giants will win it. there is no doubt. no team has upgraded significantly enough to beat them. plus the giants have many good young players coming up in the minors, look for them to keep this roling for a while

Many good young players, are you kidding? Ransom and Merkin could make impacts, but Linden and just about every other Giants prospect will probably not make the team until September. What rookies do the Giants have coming from the farm that will fit the role of "impactful 2004 player"?

I don't know if this debate is going to go anywhere. With two votes for the Padres, a loud mouth Doger fan and a Giants' youngin' fan, there is certainly a funny foundation :-D.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby Madison » Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:06 pm

Anonymous wrote:is everybody here crazy? the giants will win it. there is no doubt. no team has upgraded significantly enough to beat them. plus the giants have many good young players coming up in the minors, look for them to keep this roling for a while

Chalk me up to crazy then. I just don't see an offense for them. Bonds will get intentionally walked even more this year since the Marlins proved that doing it works. Who's going to knock him in? I just don't see them winning the division.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby fezzik » Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:46 pm

LOL... "a loud mouth Dodger fan"...I like that! Guilty as charged. Usually I'm not too loud though. I chose to make an exception tonight. :-b
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby TownDrunk » Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:05 am

I may be biased, but I think the Giants are going to come out on top again.

I like the Padres a lot, and I think that they are going to be the Giants main competition. However, I'd like to see their staff somewhat prove themselves before I hand the division to them.

The Giants upgraded themselves at RF and C. The Tucker/Hammonds/Mohr platoon is better than Cruz, and A.J. is an upgrade over Santiago. Durham is healthy and is a legit threat at the top of the order, Snow excelled in the 2 spot, Bonds is Bonds, Alfonzo really came alive during the 2nd half and I'm willing to bet that he'll drive in over a 100 runs. A.J. puts the ball in play. The Giants don't have that one big bat to compliment Barry, but they do have a lot of guys who can put the ball in play; and that's just as important.

I also think their staff is better than what most people make them out to be. I expect Tomko to a have a great year.

Now some of you will say they downgraded themselves at SS, I wouldn't be too sure. Aurilia had no range at all, while Perez is superb defensively. Also, Aurilia's bat has been slipping the past couple of years. Given the choice, I'd take Perez's glove over Aurilia's bat.

So, I think until the Padres sort of prove themselves, the Giants still have to be considered the favorites to win the division.

[b]25[/b]
TownDrunk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Web Supporter

Postby Bukoski77 » Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:10 am

fezzik wrote:Canseco isn't challenging Encarnacion...he's battling for a pinch hitting role.
I guess you didn't understand my initial post. When describing the hitting improvements, the roster changes had little to do with them. Rather, the expectations for current players to perform better than last year. Encarnacion has room to improve, but he's young and talented. Jordan is old, brittle, and slow. Anyway, I was stating what I think the Dodgers are capable of. I'm well aware I'm in the minority and I wasn't trying to convince you I'm right. I am encouraged by the Dodgers. I'm a loyal fan and honestly believe they're pretty good...I guess that's about it. ;-D

If that was in reference to my Canstrikeout more than usual in the NL reference, then forgive me. I realize he is just a chump trying to get enough at bats to latch on and try and win a job next year so he can push the 500HR club. Just being overly sarcastic.............
"Son we would like to keep you around here but were trying to win a pennant this year."
Bukoski77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 26, 2004 3:35 am

Laughable. The Giants have one of the worst minor league systems currently in baseball.

If people see their downfall coming, they have damn good reason. Sabean will be gone soon enough -- he deserved the GM of the year this past year about as much as OJ deserves to be walking the streets of America.

Ainsworth alone is terrible for a 2+ month rental in Ponson.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers